Solus

SLX Replacement Pack, Mod, and Addons

Hi Solus, yes, i love what you described and refer to as 'a compromise', which is pretty much how the game creators intended it, isn't it? So, not really a compromise at all - just keeping on track - and all gods people said AMEN to that!

Don't get me wrong, i love having this and other realism effects in the game, i just think it needs more work. It absolutely has to be controlable in the game (as is in life) or is no fun. I'll try to work on the aimpoint figures as you suggested, and definately share anything i find (appreciate the tip), but i doubt i have the skill. What was wrong with BIS's original Res1.96 figures? They pop around a bit and yet are useable. I'd personally rather see it back to that till this is perfected.

In the meantime, I've been trying to describe in words whatever suggestions i think might help you perfect it - it wont be me who does it cause i don't have the knowledge. But here goes...

PROBLEM - I like the poping sensation In your optic animation, but you can't actualy slow, settle, and control the site (scoped) - it keeps popping in un-natural, un-predictable, random directions that make no sense. They should make sense. These movements should be consistant with, body, pulse and breathing motions, and they should include weights/momentums/countermotions that include leverage regarding the length, weight, and motion of the rifle.

SOLUTION:

If you could change your animation to two phases for now:

SLX Optic aimpoint settings for General Aim

SLX Optic aimpoint settings for Tired/Injured

BIS's Optic aimpoint settings for Focus'd aim

1) - Player see's target pulsing and poping in the optics through your current nasty SLX Optic aimpoint settings. He couldn't actually hit anything with it without some very lucky timing, but he can establish a 'general visual' of the target in the optics, like real life;

2) - When player is satisfied the target is generally centred in the optic, he hits the Alt key to begin a serious fine tuning of his aim. The Alt key would tell the game to switch to BIS's more controlable Optic aimpoint settings (still pops with the BIS pulse, but you can settle the site) and would simulate the discipline of the calming of the breath and timing of the pulse, provided i have health, strength and stamina in my powers. Should he be wounded or tired from a recent run or even a 10 second fast crawl (as crawling is very tiring), the curent SLX settings would remain in affect and would not be available untill he was healed or rested.

Idealy, any quick motion of the optic from this stationary possition (say changing from a fixed target on the right side of town to a target on the left), would enduce momentum to the end of the riffle and the optics would return to SLX Optic aimpoint settings, so the shooter would have to re-establish a general target again before he could 'Alt' attempt to settle the site or be in BIS Optic aimpoint settings.

Currently, alt will still the site, but can not be adjusted without returning to SLX Optic kaos.

Note that an example of an exception would be when you are moving the site in lead pursuit of a running target. You should be able to establish an area focus (BIS control) on a running target, as long as you don't jerk the riffle while attempting to track him once settled. Any quick movement of the riffle will enduce relative momentum and place you into SLX optics.

About the only thing i don't like about BIS's optics is that you can move that site around quickly from target to target and there is very little sensation of momentum at the end of the movement - it should not come to a complete stop when the mouse stops from a quick movement that easily. If you had the sensation of a weee bit of weight on the end of the riffle (as in RL), you might feel the swing of that riffle from say, left to right, as it carries through past the end of the swing because of it's weight and momentum - not just stop. Users would have to time opposite force imput to get good at keeping the gun under control during target selection, but with this random directional poping, i don't think it would work.

I think this momentum affect should be on any movement of the riffle in general. Where attempts to move the riffle are slightly delayed by it's weight, and any halting of movement is slightly delayed to obsorb movement.

I'm gonna leave it at that, i'm not doing too good - i hope i haven't bored you too much.

Good luck with it and thankyou not only for your mod, but your obvious willingness to share helpful info and geeze are you ever fast at it!

Solus, Just to let you know that I am getting the same problem re: Missing Explosion sounds using CoC: UA. I've updated to the latest version of SLX MOD. Am running it as follows

@SLX1.07;@WGL5.12;@CoCUA

WGL5.12 has the new config from SLX ver.1.07.

Just thought I should report it. wink_o.gif

Great mod Solus! thumbs-up.gif I have a question,how can i disable bullet smoke trail? Thanx!

Sanctuary: Thanks for those! I've lowered mine to somewhere between those and WGL's and I've raised the stamina use on the combat run forward animation and others. Hopefully it will be closer to how it should be, and will get tuned more in further updates.

low light: Just place a manned ammo truck. The AI squads will call in artillery automatically when they start fighting. Thanks for the missing sounds report, I'll look into it!

gunterlund: Thanks! I've seen that no sound bug myself, I'll look into it some more, thanks! You can "drag" dead people into vehicles the same way as you can drag wounded. Just drag them to the vehicle and get in while making sure you're facing them so the action is selectable while in the vehicle. The dragger vehicle only has 100 meters worth of fuel, to simulate the dragger getting tired. When the dragger runs out of fuel he will report "fuel low" and will turn red to show his status, to get him back to normal just order him to disembark from the dragger vehicle and then tell him to report status and he should just report his position if everything is okay with him and he should return to his normal colors. After telling him to disembark you can order him to drag the person again for another 100 meters. I think you can also order AI's in vehicles to carry people in the vehicle's cargo slots just by telling them to get into the vehicle then get them in the area where the wounded/dead person is and telling the AI driver to use the drag option. Then you can drive where you want and tell the AI driver to get out and the wounded/dead person will disembark also.

Hardcoreâ„¢: Indeed, not a compromise at all! I was going to go back and change that earlier but the forums were down, sorry. tounge2.gif The problem with the default values is that the AI's use them too, and are too fast and too accurate most of the time, so I think they should be a little higher so the AI's have a little harder time aiming to make firefights last longer and have more shots expended. I've lowered the basic trembling of the sights to about the same as WGL's so hopefully that will be better, if not it can be changed in another update. The AimPrecision value is just how much trembling there is in the sights, so higher has more trembling. I think being wounded just raises the amount of trembling by how much you're injured, similarly for stamina loss. The sight trembling is in a random direction as far as I can tell. Perhaps if the aiming animation moved a bit to simulate breathing it might move the sights too, so they would move in a predictable way, I'll try experimenting with that. There might be a way to have something like momentum for weapons, but it only really works for vertical movements, I'll look into it. I can't really modify what the alt key does, but it might be possible to make the animation change to a more stable one with the key press script somewhere, but that would be very difficult and time consuming so I'm not going to try it, sorry. I've made regular running/jogging have a slight stamina loss so that running around decreases your accuracy for a while, hopefully that helps to decrease AI accuracy a bit. I'll also make the suppressive fire script make lower skilled units have a large stamina loss when getting shot at. Also, what do you think of the bullet "trace" in the latest version, is it too visible ? Thanks for all the feedback, it's very appreciated! biggrin_o.gif

Aleksx: Thanks! It's in the SLX_ShotFX.sqs script in SLX_GL3.pbo. You can extract the scripts to a folder and use the GL3 path setting in SLX_GL3_Settings.sqf in the @SLX mod folder to point to where your modified scripts are and it will use them. Open up your new SLX_ShotFX.sqs and change this line:

;Trace. "Trace is the visible trail of a bullet and is created by the shock wave of a supersonic bullet. The shock wave compresses the air along the leading edge of a bullet causing water vapor in the air to momentary (sic) condense and become visible. To the observer, located to the rear of the sniper, trace appears as a rapidly moving V-shaped vortex in the air following the trajectory of the bullet." - U.S. Army Field Manual 23-10 Sniper Training Chapter 3 Section I

_p2={drop [{cl_water},{},{Billboard},2,1+random 1,call _pos2,[(_ShotVel select 0)*0.2,(_ShotVel select 1)*0.2,(_ShotVel select 2)*0.2],2,1.4,1,0.01,[_speed*.00004545],[[.9,.9,.9,0.1+random 0.1],[.9,.9,.9,0]],[0,1,0,1],0,0,{},{},{}]}

Into this line:

_p2={}

And the trace will be removed. Rereading that explanation of trace gives me an idea, maybe the shot effect script should just detect if the bullet is currently flying at a supersonic speed and play the supersonic crack and make the trace if it is, so bullets that are fired too slow or slow down in flight won't have the repeated sound or trace. Also I don't think OFP simulates drag enough, so I could make them slow down a bit more too.

I was playing around and implemented AT weapon lying and standing positions in the default SLX config last night, you can also quickly drop to prone from crouching or standing AT weapon positions, and when lying you can roll to the side but only once before going into crouch.

Edit:

See next post for replies.

hi solus!

congratulations to this great mod!

i really like the bullet hit effects...

unfortunatelly i notice a pretty big performance hit when using your mod together with FFUR.

so i'd really like to somehow get only those hit effects into FFUR. is there a simple way to do this?

also. where can i actually edit the bullet hits?

i tried editing the config line where it says "bullet hits" something...but it didn't seem to have any effect on the dust (i wanted to make the cloudlets a little smaller, maybe more transparent, less mass, etc.)

thanks! smile_o.gif

Thanks Solus,

I shall try it out when I get back home from work. Just to confirm: All I have to do is place an ammo truck (east/west depending on squads used) and they will call in artillery. I'm guessing that all the artillery pieces from CoC: UA will work with this.

Thanks again for creating and continually supporting this truly fantastic MOD. I have never enjoyed OFP more! notworthy.gif

thumbs-up.gif

hi Solus , i've noticed that in tha last update you forgot to put the entry for the slx vegetation replacement islands in the wgl5 mod config.cpp , i heve done it myself but maybe other people don't know how to do that , i thought you would want to know for the next update thumbs-up.gif

Thanks Solus,

I shall try it out when I get back home from work. Just to confirm: All I have to do is place an ammo truck (east/west depending on squads used) and they will call in artillery. I'm guessing that all the artillery pieces from CoC: UA will work with this.

Thanks again for creating and continually supporting this truly fantastic MOD. I have never enjoyed OFP more!  notworthy.gif

thumbs-up.gif

low light

This is correct. Just place an ammo truck on the map. when the mission starts, you will see CoC arty units pop up around the truck. The AI nme will then use this battery. They are not very accurate however.

hi i must say this is an extremely impressive MOD however there are some things i do not like about this MOD.

- When u shoot the ground the bullet mark shows in a different location

- while holding the gun the crosshairs is not smooth its like a slideshow kinda. Work on that and make it nice and smooth

- I do not like the resistance objects on everon or malden as it causes too much lag. i kno this isnt an error but can someone help me out by getting rid of that. I like using the original BIS trees and bushes. I know it has to b some files in the newdata folder but can someone tell me which ones to take out.

- The sky is very impressive however when it gets to the stormy sky i do not like the green it shows. it looks like a regular sky except teh blue has turned to green.

Not much else i like everything else i love the ai how they move and i like the grass. Tanks tend to enage at will on there own tho. Example when playing return to eden that shilka drove down the hill and i didnt even need to go up the hill and take it out biggrin_o.gif

Solus your work is extremely impressive probably the most unique out of all the MODs even ecp cant do what u have done. Great work and thanks for the hard work. I am sorry for mentioning the things i dont like about the MOD but i will greatly appreciate it if some of those things were changed.

once again two thumbs way up!!!!! thumbs-up.gif

Thanks for the confirmation Gunterlund, going to try the Artillerty now. smile_o.gif

Been messing around some more and have found that the Helicopters in game don't seem to blow up. They crash quite happily, but there are no explosions: no smoke; no fire; no bang! Not sure whats going on. confused_o.gif

Just to reiterate I'm using: @SLX1.07;@WGL5.12;@CoCUA

your talking about the sky right with the cloudlets. i will do that then but biggest issue is the bullets hitting the ground in the wrong locations and the resistance objects on everon malden and kolgujev

your talking about the sky right with the cloudlets.  i will do that then but biggest issue is the bullets hitting the ground in the wrong locations and the resistance objects on everon malden and kolgujev

Did you change the shotfx config from 1 to 2?

This makes that effect pretty accurate unless your shooting directly near your own feet

well i didnt do that but i shoot near my feet i dont notice it long distance tho so its to the feet.

your talking about the sky right with the cloudlets.  i will do that then but biggest issue is the bullets hitting the ground in the wrong locations and the resistance objects on everon malden and kolgujev

No 'cloudlets' settings define the smoke, dust and fire effects of OFP

no probs with dust just the sky bullets hittin the ground and the resistance trees and bushes for the bis islands.

i really would like to kno how to take out the certain files so i can play the regular everon malden and kolgujev instead of the resistance objects in the islands

no probs with the dust just the shooting on the ground near my feet and the islands.

i really would like it if someone tell me which files to take out so i can play everon malden and kolgujev regularly instead with resi objects

the answer is in this thread pages ago , at least for the sky and for the resistance objects,, you'd better read them because it would be longer to explain than take a look smile_o.gif

From previous post edit:

versus: Thanks! Are you using the FFUR full config ? I think that one has some extra scripts running all the time that causes some slowdown. Try running with the light FFUR config if that's the case. To remove a lot of the other stuff just open up the SLX_GL3_Settings.sqf file in the @SLX mod folder and scroll down until you find the "//SLX_NoWhatever = 1;" lines and uncomment them by removing the "//" before them, that should make GL3 run with fewer effects. You can also disable some other things above the disable features section, and the SLX Wounds below it. Please see my reply to Aleksx in my previous post for editing the hit effects. Have fun with it! :]

low light: Thanks! Yep, just place a manned ammo truck and a CoC artillery platoon will automatically be generated near it at mission start. You can configure the artillery stuff in the SLX_GL3_Settings.sqf file in the @SLX Mod folder to use whatever artillery you want to be created. I think the only one that had problems that I saw was the east side M46 or something, it didn't like to actually fire when called. The helicopters don't blow up and crumble anymore to increase crash survivability, and the animated doors pop open and the blades spin down. A helicopter with a pilot and with the engine on crashing into the ground should make a pretty big crash with the main rotor smashing apart on the ground and kicking up dirt, and the tail rotor tearing apart, and sometimes the fuel tanks bursting into flames and possibly even exploding, but a damaged helicopter coming down for a crash won't immediately explode anymore, nor will helicopters with their engines off explode. I might add a "Hit" event handler to check for when vehicles get destroyed though, so that there will be effects for that situation.

william1: Thanks for spotting the grass missing! It'll be added in the next update. :]

kosta87: Thanks! I sometimes edit my posts to answer things, so please check my latest posts to see if questions are answered in them. tounge2.gif

1. Due to speed and stability the bullet hits are "estimated" and aren't always very accurate, especialy when there are slowdowns. To make the bullet hits more accurate more often edit the SLX_GL3_Settings.sqf in the @SLX mod folder and change the "SLX_ShotFX" setting from 1 to 2. Be warned that this may cause more crashes in large firefights or laggy situations.

2. The next update will have changes in that area. :]

3. To take out the resistance objects might be tricky, perhaps it would be easier to just rename the NewData folder, then make a new NewData folder and copy what you want to use to it, then re run the installer. I'll include an option in the installers in a future version of the pack so that you can install only what you want.

4. I'll look into it, thanks! Possibly the colors blending in the transition, I'll try and make them more desaturated or something so there's no strangely mixed colors in between the clear, cloudy, and overcast skies.

Thanks for the reports, they help make things better! :]

Iam playing thr Game of the year version

and i copied the folder @SLX to the main root

but the winme installer cant find the installed files

what to do

tnx

Snoof

Amazing work! wow_o.gif

I must say i'm impressed you really did amazing job solus , and the other guys that helped you!

So you planning to continue your brilliant work`? notworthy.gif

I've a problem!

cannot open object data3d\optika_ak74.p3d

That really frustrated me.

Maybe somebody has encountered the same problem with me and posted it as replies,but i have no paitience to scan all the replies from the begaining to the end.So will somebody lend your hands again? Thx xmas_o.gif

Hello to all, I installed the mod update last night, and all voices went mute, I can hear all sounds but my commands to my platoon. I did not have this problem with the first release, has anyone encountered it too?