Sign in to follow this  
Mobious

TrackIR use...

Anyone use this before.....kinda cool!

Efmer - camera track. No funny headgear

Kinda cool as in YOU tried it or as in you think that this would be kinda cool?

There is this strange message that ppl from Holland, Belgium and Germany are not allowed to download it ... weird.

nope I tried it, it follows your head, kinda like IRtracker with out the headgear. Down side is it doesnt always center. Buts its not 150 bucks lol. but I cant get it to work in Arma but I think its my systems fault.

There is this strange message that ppl from Holland, Belgium and Germany are not allowed to download it ... weird.

nope I tried it, it follows your head, kinda like IRtracker with out the headgear. Down side is it doesnt always center. Buts its not 150 bucks lol. but I cant get it to work in Arma but I think its my systems fault.

Thx for the tip mate. I will certainly have a go at it. Btw, with Arma you had no luck yet but did you try it in OFP?

That's not even CLOSE to providing the same functionality as a TrackIR4.

Not even close.

I've tried the webcam/ flashlight on ballcap type of "TrackIR". It works pretty well considering it's bootstrapped together. Of course the real deal is a heck of a lot smoother with more axes and less headache.

Thx for the tip mate. I will certainly have a go at it. Btw, with Arma you had no luck yet but did you try it in OFP?

I cant get it to work in any game, the program keeps stealing focus. But again I think its my system doing that, cause its suppose to work in FSX.

And as far as the guys who says its nothing like trackerIR I guess I'll have to take you word for it. You minus 150 buck - z tracking - head gear then YES its nothing like TrackerIR. nener.gif

I'm always like to look at new technology and if it works then whats the harm?

Is it as fast as trackir? I think my trackir runs as 120 fps, but im not sure.

What does ya average webcam runs at?

I think they have something like 30fps. Of course one can get much higher but one has to pay for it as you have.

The only thing that bothers me with the trackIR is the fact that when you turn your head, you have to look out of the corner of your eye.

I would very much prefer some kind of VR helmet.

@Dslyecxi

What do you think of TrackIR in ArmA as far as infantry is concerned?

E.g. i'm never good in leaning with the keys, but TrackIR could make the difference by making this easy. Is that the case?

@Dslyecxi

E.g. i'm never good in leaning with the keys, but TrackIR could make the difference by making this easy. Is that the case?

Being able to look around is fantastic. I highly recommend it for that reason alone.

As to leaning, it depends on how you set it up. If you adjust the acceleration curve to be more dramatic (meaning, require less movement on your part) with a bit of a dead zone, it's fantastic. If you try to use the default x-axis curve, it'll require too much movement to be useful. Once you realize that, and adjust the curve/deadzone appropriately, it's really nice and useful.

@Dslyecxi

Being able to look around is fantastic. I highly recommend it for that reason alone.

As to leaning, it depends on how you set it up. If you adjust the acceleration curve to be more dramatic (meaning, require less movement on your part) with a bit of a dead zone, it's fantastic. If you try to use the default x-axis curve, it'll require too much movement to be useful. Once you realize that, and adjust the curve/deadzone appropriately, it's really nice and useful.

Would you care to share your setup profile file of trackir?

TRI is an awesome addition. I've used it for years in lomac and once you've used it going back just seems a huge hanicap. Honestly it feels like someone has taken all your controls away and given you an old atari paddle stick to play with.

The only thing I can say about it as a con is it can be a little fatigue enducing. if you use it, make sure you map a fast shortucut key to enable/disable toggle it. sometimes its nice just to relax your head and not have the view spinning all over the place. for example; while your with 20 of your comrades in the back of a chinook for 5 mins and sipping your 3am cup of tea it'sgood preperation for the battle ahead just toggle it off. also asign a re-calibrate key, when your looking away from the screen, you may move your seat position or posture slightly. this messes the calibration up. So you just look back the centre of the screen and recalibrate the thing in a second.

Anyhow the unit certainly gets my vote, I'm not sure about the wII controller but after many hours of use in flight sims imo TrackIR is the next step.

F9 toggles it on/off F13 to re-centre your view if your head is drooping with tiredness smile_o.gif

My keyboard seems to be missing it's F13 key. wink_o.gif

In your profile setup you can change the key binds to whatever you like. Both F9 & F12 wouldn't be a good idea since they are both part of the command system in ArmA.

Does it absolutely require TrackIR 4, or will earlier TrackIR

models still work (at least for looking around - obviously not

for "leaning")?

Does it absolutely require TrackIR 4, or will earlier TrackIR

models still work (at least for looking around - obviously not

for "leaning")?

That's what I was thinking... TR4's a little expensive seeing as I just bought my new PC. Do older models even work with ArmA? Cheers smile_o.gif

TrackIR 3 will work for the 2 axis movement of looking: right/left & up/down. If you have the vector expansion for TIR3 then you will gain 6DOF freedom. In ArmA this means being able to use it for leaning and zoom.

As for TIR1 & TIR2 models, I would expect them to also support the 2 axis movement (I can't verify this, a NaturalPoint rep would need to say for sure). The older models can not use the vector expansion.

The leaning with the trackir pro4 is the most useful function, the zoom I disabled because I move around a bit and found I was feeling sick with it zooming in and out all the time when I didn't expect it to, also I think a click of the RMB is a lot quicker. Since looking around is disabled once you bring the sights up (lean isn't disabled) I'd like to see the body turn to where you are looking when you bring up the sights instead of your head being forced back to your body direction and then the sights coming up, then the player has to bringing your gun back around to where you where looking in the first place.

If this can be achieved with a script I'd like to hear about it. or better still BIS put a check box in option to enable this function.

Trackir not worth the money unless this is implemented.

i think some of you dont understand the flexibility of the track-IR unit, when it comes to turning your head.

you can set the sensitivity/speed curve. its not like you will actually be looking out thru the "corner" of your eye. if one does..then its set up wrong for full "coverage" in game. you dont have to strain eyesight for anything with track -IR. its very naturalfeeling.

As for TIR1 & TIR2 models, I would expect them to also support the 2 axis movement (I can't verify this, a NaturalPoint rep would need to say for sure). The older models can not use the vector expansion.

A friend of mine only has a TrackIR 1 - unfortunately it won't work with ArmA as the latest TrackIR software that still supports it is not compatible with ArmA (V3.x vs the current 4.1 build 29). With a TrackIR 3 or 4 it works like a dream, tho.

The TrackIR 3 with Vector expansion is as expensive as the TrackIR 4 (which already includes it), tho. Have a look around and you might find a good deal for the TIR4 . I got it (including a hat and without any shipping costs) for 169,- € (from one of the official distributors here in Germany). Extra hat + import tax + shipping from abroad together would have been far more expensive, even with a greatly reduced price.

I have a TrackIR 2 with driver version 3.13 (I

downloaded the driver off the Natural Point website)

and it works fine in ArmA! It doesn't have the "lean"

function, of course, but looking around is great!  

yay.gif  

OK, so that's all other FPS games ruined for me now

(just like I can't play any flight sim games now without

TrackIR)!  

Edit: I have to admit it's going to take quite some getting

used to, though, since you are now controlling your virtual

body, head and rifle separately. Those susceptible to motion

sickness beware! I agree with the poster above who says

that aiming can be awkward and his suggestion sounds

appropriate. If I hadn't already owned the TrackIR unit for

some years already I doubt if I'd have rushed out and got a

new one just for this (I was happy enough with the "free

look" feature in Op. Flashpoint - and ArmA - as it is)

I have a TrackIR 2 with driver version 3.13 (I

downloaded the driver off the Natural Point website)

and it works fine in ArmA!

You made my day Faulkner, thanks for posting!

I've asked NP about TIR 1 & 2 support in ArmA but they couldn't give an answer, glad to hear BIS didn't leave out us "early adopters".

To date there is one sim (FSX) that requires TIR3 or above to work. I've expressed my concern about this to NaturalPoint and I recommend other TIR 1 & 2 users to do the same.

Personally I can't afford to have one more thing to upgrade every 2-3 years! I see no reason why they can't make things backward compatible with TIR 1 & 2 (of course only supporting 2 DOF then).

Thankfully BIS did it the right way!  smile_o.gif

/KC

Quote[/b] ]You made my day Faulkner, thanks for posting!

Yay! Appreciation at last! I was pleasantly surprised that it

worked too!

It's definitely a new experience in a FPS but it'll take a bit of

practice and acclimatisation. The aiming "awkwardness"

amounts to you having to keep your target in view while you

swivel your - virtual - body and raise your weapon to your

shoulder. Personally I only find it a bit weird when I'm turning

to engage a target spotted by looking almost "over my

shoulder". I soon got the hang of turning to aim at targets

out to half left or half right.