Sign in to follow this  
Mobious

TrackIR use...

Well done Dslyecxi! One of the best arma videos yet.

I am sooo happy I already have mine!   thumbs-up.gif

P.S. It looked like ArmA is running very smoothly on your system. Would you mind giving us your specs (hardware, resolution, video settings)?

Thanks for the video Dslyecxi, downloading... Anyone tried ArmA with the older TIR 1/2 versions?

/KC

Excellent video Dslyecxi. Thanks a lot for making it.

I will update our own forum topic about this track-ir video and add a link to your webpage aswell!

We have also added your video to our video section PART II.

I personally decided already to get one, not sure when since I am going to spend a lot of money on a full hardware upgrade.

Thanks Dslyecxi, those are some excellent videos.

And post your specs biggrin_o.gif Please do! biggrin_o.gif

Hauk

Can you post your system specs and perhaps your detail settings - including view distance - for the video?

Thanks

hell i just order one after watching this video, but in the helicopter, when its banking, the artificial horizon doesn't move. im assuming this is not a final copy of the game as stated in the beginning...should i be concerned for gold though? wow_o.gif

or am i a moron wrapped up in an idot because i thought ofp had working horizons in the cockpits of the uh-60, etc.

A few things about the video...

To record footage in ArmA, I run it at 640x480 and do a 30fps full-res capture via FRAPS. This maintains a high framerate and allows me to keep my detail settings up, whereas if I play it at a higher res with the same settings, recording FRAPS makes things slow down too much (which is how it is in all games, that's just how FRAPS works).

My specs are:

Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

2GB PC2-6400 RAM

Raptor 150GB HD (important because of the FRAPS thing)

Radeon X1950 XTX 512MB

One thing that everyone should keep in mind about ArmA is that if you drop the resolution a notch, you'll see very significant increases in framerate. I forget the technical term for it, but there's a large increase in framerate when you step down in resolution (moreso than in most games I'd wager). With that being said, I can run the game at 1600x1200 with good settings (everything at least at normal and several things at High or Very High [esp shadows]).

As to view distance, I don't remember what I had it set to. It was probably around 2-3k. If you go above 5K, there's no real significant gain in visuals (the atmospheric mist obscures things at range, but you can see the faint outlines of mountains for instance). I haven't noticed a significant difference between the default 1200 view distance and 2-3K insofar as framerate goes.

I'll second the comments about the quality of the video - very nicely done and a compelling argument for both ArmA and TrackIR.

Slightly off-topic for this thread, but I thought your flying was extremely good and restored my faith in the flight model after some of the negative comments made in other threads. It looks like helis+trackir are going to be a lot of fun... smile_o.gif

I'll errmm third that:) Very impressive video. My gosh, a good video explains so much better what TrackIR is all about.

Stunning video!

Dslyecxi do you work for naturalpoint? J/k smile_o.gif (but still your video almost looks like an ad... + you have a Coupon to your name on their website)

I was somewhat hesitating about getting one, but after your video, now i really want one thumbs-up.gif

Two dumb question tho:

-Do you have to wear the cap (baseball hat) all the time? Is there a way for the TIR to see your head movement without something on your head (After a few hours of play, i fear that it will be unconfortable)

-I like to sit really low in my chair when playing (almost laying down kinda...if you see what i mean) Will this afect the track iR?

Do you have to sit nice and straight back while playing (I dont think i can keep my back straitght more than 10 minutes when playing...and i fear as soon as i ll try to get comfortable, my body and head will go down, and the view in game will be off all the time)

thanks

Thanks Dslyecxi great video just what I was looking for...

I hope we do in the future are able to do 6dof..

Great job Dys. Cant wait to try AA now with my TrackIR. Wish you Europeans would finish up the beta testing so we can get AA shipped to the states.

TrackIR sounds and looks like a very impressive tool, but the only question/criticism of the system I have is;

Wouldn't it strain your eyes, looking at your screen from a different angle (because your head is pointing in a different direction than straight at the monitor) after a certain amount of time, using TrackIR?

I know that if I want to concentrate properly on something, my head should be facing it, minimising eyeball movement and strain.

Wouldn't it strain your eyes, looking at your screen from a different angle (because your head is pointing in a different direction than straight at the monitor) after a certain amount of time, using TrackIR?

It's really not an issue. You can set the sensitivity to whatever you want, so if you don't want to look out of the corner of your eye, you don't have to.

There was never a moment in any part of that video where my eyes felt strained. It's quite simply intuitive and natural.

Think about it - you don't always look at something by keeping your eyes centered and moving your head. Very frequently in reality you will keep your head oriented one way and then shift your eyes to track and object or look at various things in a scene. This is the same basic idea, except backwards - your head moves and your eyes stay in place. It's really not an issue, as I said.

Fair enough.

I just thought that like with all muscles, the less movement, the more comfortable you are

True Shashman.. But something all of us gamers face is being out of shape. tounge2.gif A little bit of exersize never hurt anyone biggrin_o.gif

One thing that everyone should keep in mind about ArmA is that if you drop the resolution a notch, you'll see very significant increases in framerate.

Yeah, that's true. But is it not so that any other resolution than the native resolution of your lcd screen makes a bad picture anyway? So you have to stick with the native resolution?

One thing that everyone should keep in mind about ArmA is that if you drop the resolution a notch, you'll see very significant increases in framerate.

Yeah, that's true. But is it not so that any other resolution than the native resolution of your lcd screen makes a bad picture anyway? So you have to stick with the native resolution?

That's why i keep my 1024x768 tft (although the real reason is i simply have no money to go hi-spec;)

Dslyecxi,

Thanks for the video.

I do have a few questions though......

--------------------------------------

1) "preview build" meaning before the gold Czech version or the actual gold Czech version?

2) If your looking in different direction then the direction your gun is facing, when you press for iron sights, does the iron sight view appear in the direction your looking at or in the direction your gun is facing (where your cross-hair is pointing if you actually use it)?

3) Can you zoom closer to the actual sight by using the Z-axis?

4) Does the X-axis or Z-axis work for vehicles and aircrafts or is it just Pitch and Yaw?

Well, one can always use a smaller screen area instead of the fugly scaling but thats not a very good option either. sad_o.gif

Anyone use this before.....kinda cool!

Efmer - camera track. No funny headgear

Kinda cool as in YOU tried it or as in you think that this would be kinda cool?

There is this strange message that ppl from Holland, Belgium and Germany are not allowed to download it ... weird.