Sign in to follow this  
Snake'nS

ARMA AI

I'm also curious more about the AI.

I was pretty sure reading in interviews and such that there would be a greatly improved intelligent design + command menu of the AI. So far what I have seen is somewhat impressive, but not a huge step.  confused_o.gif

From the vids, I have noticed quite a few major improvements in the AI but quite a few weaknesses still remain. The following opinion is however not conclusive as it is just based on the videos.

PLUSES

- When in danger in an open area, the AIs are hitting the deck quickly and returning fire immediately.

- They are advancing cautiously and objectively.

- The AI groups are using bounding overwatch to advance.

- When in a group, individuals are covering different directions and maintaining a formation.

- They are using suppressive fire.

- They are using grenades where appropriate.

- The animations are improved.

DOUBTS / MINUSES ( they are more in the nature of doubts rather than conclusive minuses )

- Not once have I seen any AI use any sideways movement, whether it is strafing or leaning, though I have seen the player do both. ( I have read that the AIs lean occasionally).

- This brings me to the next point -- the abovementioned features, i.e strafing and leaning, are very necessary for EFFECTIVE USE OF EDGES OF COVERS like buildinds and trees. Using edges of covers effectively is very important for urban combat and CQBs and the AI does not seem to be good at that. As a result, in the 3rd AI video taking place in a village, the AI behavior was not as impressive as they were when the fights were in more open spaces.

- Another feature that I would like to know is -- as the AI reactions are controlled by modular instructions, whenever I meet an enemy group, would their reactions be similar and predictable if the terrain is similar or are various types of engagement rules fed in. Unpredictable reactions by the AIs will make the game more interesting and realistic as we would have different reactions everytime we play.

- The AIs still seem to be more comfortable going prone than taking cover and, as a result, they are at times crawling in places from where they could have hid behind a building and protected themselves better.

In what vid did you see them using suppressive fire?

What I want to know is whether or not the AI will respond when under suppressive fire. In other words is using suppressing fire on enemy AI an effective tactic (will they desperately try to get under cover like a human would) or will the just keep shooting back at you.

What I want to know is whether or not the AI will respond when under suppressive fire. In other words is using suppressing fire on enemy AI an effective tactic (will they desperately try to get under cover like a human would) or will the just keep shooting back at you.

hope they do both :P

In the first 2 Shadak videos, suppressive fire is used. In the ambush video, the pointman advances firing - it is more in the nature of suppressive fire than accurate shooting as the enemy is still alive. Then, he throws a grenade and the man behind him shoots to cover his throw. In the 2nd video also, the soldiers hit the deck and start shooting in the general direction of the enemy.

Stryder, I am also interested in knowing the effect of suppression on the enemy. smile_o.gif

the AI is such stupid like in OFP i shot a soldier .. and a second stands 1 meter behind him.. and he was doing.. like nothing happens !!! banghead.gifbanghead.gif

the AI is such stupid like in OFP i shot a soldier .. and a second stands 1 meter behind him.. and he was doing.. like nothing happens !!! banghead.gifbanghead.gif

banghead.gif

the AI is such stupid like in OFP i shot a soldier .. and a second stands 1 meter behind him.. and he was doing.. like nothing happens !!! banghead.gif  banghead.gif

Which skill level and which gun did you use?

They reacted to me taking out 1 of their guys..

Otherwise the mod community will probably work this further out... KI & DAC 4 ArmA... mmmmhh

the AI is such stupid like in OFP i shot a soldier .. and a second stands 1 meter behind him.. and he was doing.. like nothing happens !!! banghead.gif  banghead.gif

Which skill level and which gun did you use?

They reacted to me taking out 1 of their guys..

Otherwise the mod community will probably work this further out... KI & DAC   4 ArmA... mmmmhh

sickboy you know the levels its the 1st! i cant speak about it.. but i used an M4 carabine and standard skills....

ps .. my czech is bad .. biggrin_o.gif i cant find how to throw granedes biggrin_o.gifrofl.gif i cant switch from m4 or pistol to granades .. or when i will fire rockets from BMP2 i cant switch to them... only to better ammunation..

Well, amog some new things, there are still major bugs like:

shadak's AIfight:

*bluefor leader spots the target and advances forward while the rest of his squad try to hide 20 meters behind him, and instead of buildings they still chose some objects that don't provide concealment

*opfor ldeader gets killed after a stride in the middle of the crossroad, he surprisingly uses the cover (probably he just hit the dirt where he was staning, and that's all, because as we can see, few seconds later he doesn't know what do do with this cover), he doesn't strife and gets killed

*blufor leader uses the cover quite nice, although It doesn't look like a well thought decision, just a chance, while rest of the opfor squad gets killed appearing at the crossroad one by one

*although they do not keep the formation perfectly, they sometimes don't know what should they do, where to hide, and what direction should they watch

shadak's Townfight:

*instead of covering behind the buildings, leaning and shooting, some AI are facing the wall completely ignoring the possible threats, while others are crawling in the open space between the buildings

*at 00:09 you can see the opfor AI crawling somewhere while being shoot at, not using none of 2 buildings near them as cover, the same with blufor - no rushing for cover while advancing

*from 00:58 to 01:10 you can see a well known domino thingy: AI gets killed, the next one in the formation walks exactly at the same spot, and gets killed, then the next one, etc

*01:17 look at the guy on the right who decides to run somewhere and probably gets killed

*01:38 a funny situation again on the right 2 vs 2, except that bluefor don't know about the possible threat and simply get "pwned"

*02:15 situation like that:

B> A crowling> <E

opfor (B) keeps firing at A, E returns fre at B, therefore covering A, but A continues crawling in the > direction, after a while A is dead

I have nothing to add other then people better have this in their mind when debating AI:

"Placebo wrote in closed thread about patch: It should be noted that the AI is one of the first things to suffer when people run the game on a less than adequate CPU or using graphics settings higher than that which is appropriate for their CPU."

I have nothing to add other then people better have this in their mind when debating AI:

"Placebo wrote in closed thread about patch: It should be noted that the AI is one of the first things to suffer when people run the game on a less than adequate CPU or using graphics settings higher than that which is appropriate for their CPU."

X2

Same thing. Try lower your settings and tell us if this helps.

It would be really cool if you could order your squad / fire team to point fire or suppress a general area (who ever has played Full Spectrum Warrior will know what I mean).

You can tell your squad members to watch a specific direction in Ofp but that doesn't automatically mean they will cover it (it also depends on combat mode and behaviour: "green, alert" they will report spotted enemies and only open fire if fired upon first

"red, assault" they will be very aggressive and engage enemies - most times with little succes as they are acting more individuallly rather than as a team).

If you micromanage your AI squad in Ofp you can "suppress" an opponent squad and order another fire team to move to their flank. But most firefights come to an end before the flanking team will actually reach a flanking position because firefights dont last very long in ordinary Ofp. The reason is that there often or never is enough cover for longer firefights, groups get even eliminated or flee.

High dispersion weapons try to make firefights longer which can work for the AI but for the player its some kind of cheat as the player loses a part of aiming skills.

All this stuff correlates thus it is hard to make compareable AI in an mostly "open area" game like ArmA compared to lets say Full spectrum warrior which is a very scrited scenario game...

Scripting good Ais are really hard, I think we should be happy with what we got. Hopefully it will be improved to february

Quote[/b] ]Remembering how annoying it was in OFP when you played as tank commander to see that the AI crew of the tank was sometime not responsive enough to your orders, as they waited a sentence to be finished before :

Does the AI in tanks now immediately act according to your orders ?

Next to that an extremely annoying "feature" in OFP: you give your driver the command "forward, fast", and what's he doing? A 90° turn to anywhere but where you wanted to go.

Has this been fixed?

that one video that laged somehow is no good measure for ai

but the NightOps thingy showed us that they still move in the middle of the street while knowing

about enemy ahead.

the one who spoted enemy gets down .. reports .. turns and runs or crawls away and gets shot in the back confused_o.gif

one after the other tries the middle of the road .. a few the sidewalk ..

none of those poor bastards showed tactics .. or got to any cover .. i have seen that befor ..

except for what we had in OFP there is no sign of comunication

"12 oclock Officer at 100 Meters" then silence ..

atleast i cant hear or see handsigns like "covering you", "holding em down", "flanking" or even

some "fire in the hole"

if the AI is set to Engage/Fire at will like that .. they

definitely should let the teammates and player know what they are doing next

if they would use "suppressive fire" having that kind of comunication absent will end some nice

TKing from the AI .. atleast for non AImindreading Players ..

i dont believe that we will see "advaned AI" in ArmA 1.0 .. they changed the system but exept for the rather effective "iam going for cover maybe"-option there is no difference to the old behaviour ..

another thing that the 134AIvid showed is the AI preference for keeping the formation ..

i was reminded of the RTS "Cossaks" the game that had the worst movement of troops ever ..

wonder how long it takes AI that is ordered to "Line" to cross a bridge ..

with the swimming and loosing weapons option ul probably end up with half the squad unarmed ..

looking forward to get the game and ROFL the Boys

Game on those vids is fluent enough to show us that AI tries to stick to the tasks, but neither It looks good nor works.

sprint to the nearest cover, lean/check the sorroundings, fire, wait for others to cover you, then move being aware of the possible threats (checking all directions) etc.

It is there, but in It's infancy.

I'm too big ofp fan to bash bis It's not in ArmA 1.0 though...

I really hope It will be corrected later, If not It's just not what I was waiting for, no big deal

edit: one of the problems imho is that AI doesn't use strafing while moving, It remainds me the first 3d games, when you couldn't do that. If you don't know what I mean, give any FPS game to an unexperienced player and observe how he'll play It wiht a doom3d-like movements. It just reduces the fov of AI.

Game on those vids is fluent enough to show us that AI tries to stick to the tasks, but neither It looks good nor works.

sprint to the nearest cover, lean/check the sorroundings, fire, wait for others to cover you, then move being aware of the possible threats (checking all directions) etc.

It is there, but in It's infancy.

I'm too big ofp fan to bash bis It's not in ArmA 1.0 though...

I really hope It will be corrected later, If not It's just not what I was waiting for, no big deal

edit: one of the problems imho is that AI doesn't use strafing while moving, It remainds me the first 3d games, when you couldn't do that. If you don't know what I mean, give any FPS game to an unexperienced player and observe how he'll play It wiht a doom3d-like movements. It just reduces the fov of AI.

you know what?

i think i need to start saving money for a super computer used by airforce, instead of a E6600

Question about Armed Assault aircraft AI :

Are both runways in south sahrani programmed for AI or do they still take off / land on one runway ?

If your pc is capable of generating all the graphic stuff from ArmA, It can also handle the proper AI, If not, you should think about decreasing the number of dragonflies displayed on the screen.

Honestly, It's the AI for what we've (at least me) been waiting for, isn't it? And we're getting the "do it by yourself" thing now...

one of the problems imho is that AI doesn't use strafing while moving, It remainds me the first 3d games, when you couldn't do that. If you don't know what I mean, give any FPS game to an unexperienced player and observe how he'll play It wiht a doom3d-like movements. It just reduces the fov of AI.

I agree and had written about it on the previous page. I haven't seen the AIs using side-stepping or leaning in any of the videos. Either they cannot do it or they don't do it often enough in situations where they should. This makes it difficult for the AIs to use edges of covers effectively, like building corners. So, the AIs are preferring to use the prone position even when there is solid cover nearby, and we are seeing AI crawling between buildings in villages/cities.

If we are not allowed to use strafe/lean and told to play against players who can use both, what would happen to us ? I think the addition of this feature alone would make the AI fight better and look more realistic.

p.s- If we are wrong in the above assumtion, and someone can show us videos of the AIs strafing regularly when required, we will be most happy.

Quote[/b] ]

Remembering how annoying it was in OFP when you played as tank commander to see that the AI crew of the tank was sometime not responsive enough to your orders, as they waited a sentence to be finished before :

Does the AI in tanks now immediately act according to your orders ?

Next to that an extremely annoying "feature" in OFP: you give your driver the command "forward, fast", and what's he doing? A 90° turn to anywhere but where you wanted to go.

Has this been fixed?

Or when you're gunning in a tank/armored car and the AI commander comes over the radio with "No target, No target, No target, No target, No target, No target, No target, No target..."

That's annoying tounge2.gif

@funnyguy1 -The AI is handles by your cpu, so you could have nice graphics becaues your graphics card is good but could stuggle with a large number of units due to your cpu.