Sign in to follow this  
evilnate

To the people who are playing ArmA, how is it?

Hi guys im new. So please forgive my  first clumsy and verbose post.

*I played exhaustively opf-E for the xbox. (Then I bought a pc) And then waited in anticipation for the release of this game.

Here are my impressions:

I was impressed with the demo, -graphically; had been playing it for the whole Christmas break.

I have to say i am dismayed that BI didnt stick to their 80's [cold war]era story line. Choosing instead a more modern scenario. Also dissapointed that they updated the bluefor uniforms and weapons but left opfor looking like opflash 80's era soldiers and equipment. Surely modern day former warsaw pact troops don't still wear the shiny uncovered steel pot helmets and tote those damned shovels attached to their backs?

Ok ok, I know a soldier must always be ready to do his gardening, but I've never seen anyone actually "dig in" this game. - Although, in retrospect, this would be a very cool feature. One that was/will never implemented.

I feel that the devs definetly went for looks over substance in ArmA. No doubt in some a feeble attempt to mimic some of the lower common denominator titles like BF series from EA.

-Multiplyer:Not much to say -It's pretty much broken. As in mostly unplayable.

That being said I bought the German full version, beacuse it doesn't use starforce and in anticipation of some decent mods.

Finally:

After playing this demo, I can finally understand why North American publishers won't touch this title with a 30' all-carbon remotely controlled pole.  

I was toying with the idea of getting the Polish version as well. -Does anyone know if it would work on a North American PC? At the very least, it would be a fun way for me  to brush up on my Polish.

I love this forum, But I hope the devs do something to fix this game, which currently runs and is about as stable as a very attractive woman with a peg leg.

All the best,

Dag

-Multiplyer:Not much to say -It's pretty much broken. As in mostly unplayable.

What do you mean? I played the demo and the MP seems to be fine. Maybe you played on slow non-dedicated servers. Well there are some people that play like total idiots but that isn't the games fault tounge2.gif .

But what on Earth do you mean 'broken'? It works for me.

Maybe you played on slow non-dedicated servers. Well there are some people that play like total idiots but that isn't the games fault tounge2.gif .

We did both this afternoon whistle.gif

Im waiting for another patch or two to come out before I get stuck into this game properly. There are too many annoying bugs for me to play even the campaign properly..

The game simply isn't finished.. banghead.gif

UK gamers.. I would wait until the UK release. I wish I had.. sad_o.gif

Until then I will be playing OFP.

Oh... as the heli targeting controls are so (insert your own comment here). Expect to have to buy a joystick.

I have to freelook with the mouse to be able to lock onto anything with any degree of accuracy - is trackir being pimped for this game?

Surely it isn't meant to be this fiddly to lock onto a target (with AGM's) that your radar is already showing up as 'red' (i.e. Enemy target)?

Yes, the game has amazing promise. When it's ready it will be 'almost' everything I had hoped for. wink_o.gif

#C

Quote[/b] ]But what on Earth do you mean 'broken'? It works for me.

Well I am glad for you. If it works for you obviously its not broken. :roll: I did use the word "mostly" perhaps you're one of the few form whom this game works perfectly. For me it was frustrating not being able to access a server, dropping servers, severe farmerate hits, laaaag, random crashes. etc. I have 4 gigs of ram a year old graphics card and a 64 bit processor that runs everything and i mean everything smoothly, except this demo.

I just lock my server and play by myself. That gets borring after the first few days.

Quote[/b] ]But what on Earth do you mean 'broken'? It works for me.

Well I am glad for you. If it works for you obviously its not broken. :roll: I did use the word "mostly" perhaps you're one of the few form whom this game works perfectly. For me it was frustrating not being able to access a server, dropping servers, severe farmerate hits, laaaag, random crashes. etc. I have 4 gigs of ram a year old graphics card and a 64 bit processor that runs everything and i mean everything smoothly, except this demo.

I just lock my server and play by myself. That gets borring after the first few days.

Well yea most of the servers suck. You need to search for a decent one.

It says "Last Post by: Maddmatt" on the topic but my last post wont show huh.gif . This is the second time. This post should make it show.

Edit: And it worked biggrin_o.gif . Again.

Some stuff is just so... xbox'ish about Arma crazy_o.gif .

I just found and played with autoaim. Its under the dificulty settings, the crosshair locks on targets and even turns red.. its only optional and not that good but Arma ships with a built in aimbot already!

The peripheral view dots are kinda cheapo. The inventory window is horrific, im not playing with a controler and dont apretiate having my FOV blocked by a window everytime i decide to pick or drop something.

I understand some of these changes were necessary in Elite but i liked the way they worked in OPF better. When i reload i can only rotate my head, i dont like this.. Arma feels alot like a console game for the PC in some gameplay aspects and it shouldnt...

I just found and played with autoaim. Its under the dificulty settings, the crosshair locks on targets and even turns red.. its only optional and not that good but Arma ships with a built in aimbot already!

The peripheral view dots are kinda cheapo. The inventory window is horrific, im not playing with a controler and dont apretiate having my FOV blocked by a window everytime i decide to pick or drop something.

I understand some of these changes were necessary in Elite but i liked the way they worked in OPF better. When i reload i can only rotate my head, i dont like this.. Arma feels alot like a console game for the PC in some gameplay aspects and it shouldnt...

Well if the autoaim is serverside then does it matter? It's an option so relax.

Inventory is kinda annoying but it does let you customize your inventory better. You don't need to use it to rearm your ammo or take a primary weapon from a dead body so it isn't so bad.

Still, I'll take an organized (not necessarily pretty) window over scrolling through the action menu for years... tounge2.gif It's actually quite nice when you're doing some guerilla tactics. Bring up your gear menu and throw down some RPG rounds next to your buddy. I can't think of many other ways to do it aside from the action menu. So it's one minor annoyance I can live with....

- dRB

While the rifle aiming feels a bit like moving in molasses I really appreciate the longer times to acquire target. If it could be made slightly more non-linear (fast snap gross movement and slower fine tuning of aim) I'd be 100% happy.

The inventory screen is hands-down better than not having it. I don't miss the endless scrolling of the action menu at all.

Aye, its near impossible to fine-tune the mouse to where you can reliably aim at targets and one-shot them with iron sights and Aimpoint without making moving the rest of the time like congealed bacon fat...

Styker far shoot predisposed ?

Assault Armed Of easy not German learn. Play much, hardness Japanese.

Styker  far shoot predisposed ?

Hmmmm... icon_rolleyes.gif

Say what? wink_o.gif

Sorry, had to laugh at the last 2 words... biggrin_o.gifwink_o.gif

Say what? wink_o.gif

Not everyone has english as their first language, they should not be treated different because of that.

EDIT: He's japanese, their form of language is alot different from english, that's why his english is really bad.

Nevertheless, he should not be treated different.

Styker  far shoot predisposed ?

Hmmmm...  icon_rolleyes.gif

Say what?  wink_o.gif

Sorry, had to laugh at the last 2 words...  biggrin_o.gif  wink_o.gif

Not everyone has english as their first language, they should not be treated different because of that.

EDIT: He's japanese, their form of language is alot different from english, that's why his english is really bad.

Yes, I know. That's why I do the job I do. I am a lingust/translator, and I understand the relationships between languages very well.

It is New Year's Eve, I've had a few beers, and am pretty chilled out. You don't have to tell me about other peoples' languages.

Thanks... wink_o.gif

Say what? wink_o.gif

We are not treating him different. It is just Engrish is always so funny... tounge2.gif

Part of the reason I chose to do the job I do is because of the humour I gain from working with non-native-English speakers. I once lived with a Russian guy, and we both gained great pleasure from trying to understand each other's cultures and languages... wink_o.gif

We are not treating him different. It is just Engrish is always so funny... tounge2.gif

Ok, then. But refrain from spamming instead then smile_o.gif

(at both of you)

my opinion of arma

this isnt youre run of the mill war game..!

if its shoot em ups you want buy something else ..

this is amazing (like its father ofp)

a vast game ..top class.. but as per course with a game of this magnitude a few teething problems are to be expected ..

visually stunning .. level of detail amazing (time spent as seagull i normally spend trying too follow butterflys/dragonflys)

nothing what a few patches wont fix .. and bis have a history of listening  to the punters  so im happy with money spent  on this game..

and the community spirit around ofp/arma/vbs  is second to none ...

top marks bis ...

( you smell shit  ? .. oh its me .. its on the end of my nose)

Should be getting my extra RAM that I need soon. Then I will be all set to order my Special Edition of the 505 version. It is going to be so AWESOME!!! yay.gifbiggrin_o.gifwink_o.gif