Sign in to follow this  
Avimimus

Helicopters in AA

Flying is much better now, also with joystick.

But one question.

Look at those 2 videos(autohover + tailrotor with keyboard).

Blackhawk Video

Cobra Video

Before the patch 1.02 we're able to turn a helicopter on the spot. Now they also go sideways, the blackhawk just a little bit, but the cobra extrem.

I will check my config again, but I'm sure that I don't use that "double feature key" with Tailrotor+left/right function.

MfG Lee

That`s exactly that problem i meant.

Totaly unrealistic behaviour.

With the 360 controller it plays like a charm now.

Setup:

Left analogue stick: Flying

Right analogue stick: Looking around (it's no TrackIR but still very nice)

- Up: Zoom (I hardly ever need to look up)

Left/Right analogue(!) triggers: Rudder

Left/Right bumpers: Up/Down

Back: Hover

Start: Map

A: Action

B: Manual target

X: Change weapon

Y: Fire

Left stick click: Next target

Right stick click: Optics

D-pad for menu selection

As you can see, you can map an awful lot onto the controller:)

If you got two joysticks I would use one for the throttle... thumbs-up.gif

Up and down... a and z

But anyway I cannot wait for this game to be released, also because of helicopter flying. Buying a new joystick soon to be prepared. yay.gif

OMG BIS WTF HAVE YOU DONE!

[ I used to use a joystick and keyboard only with ofp ArmA 1.01 perfectly.. yes it needed little improvements but now it doesnt even fly with a joystick when i take off the helicopter spins out of control and they just don't fly the same.. ****** Gay! ] confused_o.gif Very Disappointed. I tried messing with the Keys for the joystick ingame but i still get the spinning mad_o.gif it was fine before i patched so its not my controls. banghead.gifwink_o.gifconfused_o.gifconfused_o.gifconfused_o.gifconfused_o.gif

And that MP bug is still there where i cant see the text im tpying when theres a lot of people talking.

Before the patch 1.02 we're able to turn a helicopter on the spot. Now they also go sideways, the blackhawk just a little bit, but the cobra extrem.

Yep. That's weird. Again instead of fixing something a new bug arose... Now the pedals are not only controlling the tail rotor but together some cyclic as well. Really weird.

But besides of that the flight model seems definitely more "playable" as before. On the other hand it still far away being perfect and realistic.

But collective works imho OK (but still bit weak), MI-7 is now more "heavy" and so on. From this point of view I'm satisfied.

So give us the proper tail rotor control (just the tail rotor), make it properly working loosing the force just slightly with the speed (depending of the helo type) and let us test again. It might work.

But check this video, you'll still see quite lot uncommon moves for a chopper.

Cobra, single mission, FFARs only, 50mb

Quote[/b] ]Yep. That's weird. Again instead of fixing something a new bug arose... Now the pedals are not only controlling the tail rotor but together some cyclic as well. Really weird.

By default the controls are not setup in what I consider the very proper way. Unless you are using C / X keys for your tailrotor yaw, then you aren't pressing "Right Pedal" and "Left Pedal" controls but "Turn Right" and "Turn Left" instead. So when you get collective when you think you're supposed to only get yaw it's likely because of your controls. This isn't a new bug, this is how ArmA has been since 1.00.

Default%20Controls.gif

Edited%20Controls.gif

With the new patch I can fly my chopper...but thats about it.  They still lack the percision to shoot at anything and do much more than fly from point A to point B.  They are alot better than before, but that is not saying much considerng what they were.  They also can't gain altitude for shit.  I can only make large sweeping turns if I am moving forward and when I do this I loose altitude quickly.  Flying with mouse and keyboard is still crap, I use an Xbox 360 controller.  The harrier flight model is still horrible, it can't be used for anything.  It takes forever to turn and cannot gain altitude like the choppers.  It feels like flying a rock.  Over all still needs tons of work.  I was expecting alot more out of the choppers in this patch.

Edit: oh and all of the helicopters feel the same. The Mi-17 doesn't feel like a heavy helicopter, feels the same to fly as the AH-6

It's an improvement, that I can say. Feels like a compromise between the ease of flying in OFP and the ArmedA 1.01 version.

Maybe I am just too used to the OFP flight controls, but I agree that many flight characteristics still need work.

I am happy to see results and eagerly (yet patiently) await more.

Flying is much better now, also with joystick.

But one question.

Look at those 2 videos(autohover + tailrotor with keyboard).

Blackhawk Video

Cobra Video

I will check my config again, but I'm sure that I don't use that "double feature key" with Tailrotor+left/right function.

MfG Lee

That`s exactly that problem i meant.

Totaly unrealistic behaviour.

These 2 videos prove that flight model still need a fix...

Bah...

Thank you BIS, the flight model is greatly improved. I would say it behaves much closer to the FSX flight model and that's a great thing. It works for me!

For those of you still having problems, it sounds like you don't have your key assignments configured properly. The chopper responds to all inputs in the proper way when the keys are properly assigned.

Cheers

I just want to know one thing:

When you move the mouse to the side, does the helicopter bank or rotate (as it did in OFP?)

I'm hoping for the mouse to control pitch and roll and using A/D for yaw, since that's more realistic. D:

what it most needs is more effective rudder controls, for planes and helecopters, the hockum dosnt even have a tail rotor. It seems even at speeds where u still have some rudder control it fights you to keep going straight. In no flight sim ive played do u really lose the ability to use the rudder.

the only problem of the FM in arma is that it tries to do 2 things: chopper and plane, well for the plane part it works not bad IMO, and it seems to be realistic if you put it as the vstol FM of the AV8B, but when you put it into chopper the law changes, you need to apply another totally different FM just for chopper, which might means that we need another 1GB of things to DL, what ofp did to have both within a single FM is good, but if you want both of them to be realistic then it would be 100 times harder

p.s. i wouldnt mind if i have another 1GB to DL just to get the chopper right

the only problem of the FM in arma is that it tries to do 2 things: chopper and plane, well for the plane part it works not bad IMO, and it seems to be realistic if you put it as the vstol FM of the AV8B, but when you put it into chopper the law changes, you need to apply another totally different FM just for chopper, which might means that we need another 1GB of things to DL, what ofp did to have both within a single FM is good, but if you want both of them to be realistic then it would be 100 times harder

1GB for a physics model? lol

And no realistic doesn't always mean harder it's means following the laws of real world physics as close as possible which I'm not expecting from ArmA. I know I'd be better off with realistic physics, it also feels more natural aswell.

And no realistic doesn't always mean harder it's means following the laws of real world physics as close as possible which I'm not expecting from ArmA. I know I'd be better off with realistic physics, it also feels more natural aswell.

well you might need to rework the physics model just to get it right(its not only code changing), plus all the fix they would need, 1 GB is a safe guess

Could someone explain to me the new joystick sensetivity settings?

I couldnt find them anywhere so I added them to my profile but frankly it still feels like stirring pudding with my X-52 so any stick flyers come up with any useful settings yet?

I find the helos quite a bit easier to control but if I couldnt tighten up my sticks response Im sure it could be better.

The only way your going to reach 1GB is with a huge amount of textures and sounds, physics code and configs are only very small in file size.

Just installed the new patch 1.02 and took the Alligator for a spin in the corresponding single mission.

Outstanding work!!

As far as I'm concerned, the helicopter controls are perfect now, at least with my MS Precision Pro they are! Manual hovering works like a charm! I could circle strafe the enemy base between the trees blasting parking tanks and even picking off individual soldiers with my cannon. And hunting down that mobile convoy was pure bliss. Great! Finally I fight the enemy and not my own hardware.

BTW: I'm a "Jane's AH-64D Longbow" veteran, the one and only attack chopper simulation, and it felt almost like back in those days (10 years ago! ) with these new controls. You must have done something right, I dare say. wink_o.gif

ArmA's out of the box heli controls, however, were a real pain in the backside. Maintaining a certain heigth, as in hovering, was next to impossible and the controls where way to imprecise for decent aiming. Big thanks for changing them! Now ArmA is almost perfect!

Ok, heli flying is great now.

click me. biggrin_o.gif

But it would be nice if BIS would change the tail rotor function, so that we are able to:

- rotate on the spot with tail rotor(like in 1.01)

- use the tail rotor at higher speeds

MfG Lee smile_o.gif

- rotate on the spot with tail rotor(like in 1.01)

That works for me. Maybe you need to reassign some controls in the options menu. I had to.

And I believe the tailrotor isn't much good for maneuvering at high speeds in reality either.

Nah, config is changed since the first day I got ArmA.

http://lee.plankton.ch/ArmA_Airconfig.jpg

As you can see in the 2 other vids I posted last page, the use of the tail rotor is different on every helicopter.

MfG Lee smile_o.gif

Maybe rotating on the spot is just a problem when autohover is enabled. But frankly: with the new heli controls I have no use for autohover anymore. It's way better doing it manually now. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Yep. That's weird. Again instead of fixing something a new bug arose... Now the pedals are not only controlling the tail rotor but together some cyclic as well. Really weird.

By default the controls are not setup in what I consider the very proper way. Unless you are using C / X keys for your tailrotor yaw, then you aren't pressing "Right Pedal" and "Left Pedal" controls but "Turn Right" and "Turn Left" instead. So when you get collective when you think you're supposed to only get yaw it's likely because of your controls. This isn't a new bug, this is how ArmA has been since 1.00.

I can assure you that when I'm saying that PEDALS are not doing tailrotor yaw only but combined with cyclic movement as shown before on the cobra/blachkawh video, I'm aware of this strange setting.

So I'm just confirming the others experience that NOW (1.02) the tail rotor (pedals) are newly somehow combined to cyclic. So just to turn the helos nose in the other direction when hoovering is not possible without balancing the strange bank movement with cyclic. After pressing x/c the choper doesn't turn horizontally but bank sideways as well.

well you might need to rework the physics model just to get it right(its not only code changing), plus all the fix they would need, 1 GB is a safe guess

code dosnt make 1gb, game assets do but not code.