Sign in to follow this  

Any plans to convert ofp islands for Arma?

This would probably be done by user, wouldnt think that BIS would use em again, just wondered if there may be anyone thinking or planning on transporting them. Specifically because of a large scale mission ive been working on for Kolgujev. Sorry, if there was an Addons/Mods complete area would have posted there.

Yeah i hope that too!

BIS r not allowed to make the old OFP islands for ArmA, so its up to the community.

lets hope someone is already planing to make the old islands for ArmA.

Its my number one wanted Addon for ArmA! tounge2.gif

given the new way that islands are created, streamed and handled in Arma, it seems very unlikely that BIS will do it themselves and that anyone has the time or ability to rework something like that, if it is at all possilble to do so... you may be able to reuse the bare terrain elevations, but textures and buildings would be screwed i think.

it also depends if BIS allows us to use the OFP maps in Arma.

[edit]

Quote[/b] ]BIS r not allowed to make the old OFP islands for ArmA, so its up to the community.

source? I thought that codies only own the rights to the name OFP and any sequal deirative of it... the IP of the content is still BIS's.

I think we should direct all our effort into making new terrain.

I was considering making the old maps for ArmA. They probably wouldn't be perfect but you would get the same feeling from them I would think. I don't know if I will though I already have atleast 3 different islands to make, 2 of them for big mods.

Quote[/b] ]I think we should direct all our effort into making new terrain.

agreed - rather than flogging a dead horse, or trying to make something do that it wasnt designed to - new terrain would be much better... someone could always make the nogova etc terrains from scratch of course

Why would we want the old islands?

If BIS have kept the same class names and just reworked the CWC/Res houses then it shouldn't be too hard to place, but in all honesty, we don't want to be stepping backwards with smaller terrain, we want to be stepping fowards people!

Lets leave those islands to 1.96.

Its time for more standardized terrain environments!!

Nick

time for more terrain full stop!

hurry up nick wink_o.gif

by the time i managed to work out if i can be arsed to opt for a german copy or stick it out for 505 i'd love to have a nice selection of terrain waiting for me.

unless bis are true to their intentions of keeping the tools till after 505.

I'm looking forward to the tools almost as much as ArmA itself.

Well if Sahrani is as large as previous islands combined, how about the idea of making all of the previous islands and combining them to one huge map?

I agree with what u guys are saying. Although, ive also been taking into consideration the apparent massive size of the 'main' island for Arma, with the graphics, and have been wondering how large scale missions will do on it, which kinda led me to think that as an option to still make huge 'dynamic' type missions, one could use smaller maps similiar to ofp sizes, where less drag is caused by the enviornment. Also, porting over the originals would probably allow a ton of already made ofp missions to become usable in Arma, that is if ofp editor made mission.sqm's are openable in Arma's editor, where changing units to Arma's would be the main task.

Just mostly speculation here I guess, but really, even if I were to do the editor work over again on the new Arma map (most of the mission is script work), I think it would lag, as it maxxes out ofp with ffur mod on, and thats on Kolgujev, which is like the second smallest map in ofp.

Why would we want the old islands?

If BIS  have kept the same class names and just reworked the CWC/Res houses then it shouldn't be too hard to place, but in all honesty, we don't want to be stepping backwards with smaller terrain, we want to be stepping fowards people!

Lets leave those islands to 1.96.

Its time for more standardized terrain environments!!

Nick

It wouldn't be a step back. You update them with grass and add new features into them while still keeping the same general lay out and there could be whole new possibilities plus we can have fun playing our old favorites (Ambush).

You could also throw all four islands onto one map, which I know has already been done (or atleast for the original three) for ofp but it would still be fun to play old missions with new technology.

I do want more terrain though although I hope that it will be realistic possibly using satellite data.

Well if Sahrani is as large as previous islands combined, how about the idea of making all of the previous islands and combining them to one huge map?

Something like AEC island that would include Nogova too would be really nice.

I agree. I think that it would at the very least make for a nice CTI setting.

Abs

I agree. I think that it would at the very least make for a nice CTI setting.

Abs

CTIC = Capture the Island Chain

i have read that in a interview some weeks or months ago.

BIS wanted to put OFP into ArmA as goodie, but they were not allowed cause of Codemasters.

Cant find the interview anymore...sorry

The old islands r for sure not a step backwards.

I would really like to play the old OFP maps with the grafix of ArmA.

That would be a really nice thing.

And think of the tons of maps which would be easily converted into ArmA then.

The one who will make the old islands for ArmA will be a Hero in my view!!!

and he will own my love forever!

xmas_o.gif

I'll probably convert Everon, if it's allowed. However it's not a big priority.

I'll probably convert Everon, if it's allowed. However it's not a big priority.

YEAH do it!!! PLEASE!!! notworthy.gif

I seem to remember BIS stating that they might do a free download at some point to convert the old OFP campaign (and islands) into ArmA. There were copyright issues with incorporating it into the retail version, but a free download would get round this copyright problem. This announcement was quite a while back though, so I don't know whether it will still happen or not!

I for sure would love to replay the old OFP campaign with the new ArmA engine enhancements and graphics. No doubt it will eventually get modded in though if BIS decide not to do it.  wink_o.gif

I understand why you guys are being more 'oriented' towards lager scale maps, although, try to understand making massive missions (or transporting them from ofp) to the arma engine, I mean really, look at the graphics.

A few quick examples:

Thobsons Abandoned Armies

CTI (u guys mentioned that one tounge2.gif)

Those are the biggies im aware of, hoping to include my Kolgujev Conflict to this list of 'very large' immersive type missions.

Abandoned Armies in many ways in my opinion outdid cti in its detail and immersive qualites, but even with my computer, 3.0 ghz, duel proc, 6800 geoforce experienced a small amount of slow down here and there while running ffur, and those graphics dont still compare to Arma, Malden is small.

Take Abandoned Armies, and put it on a map 4X the size, 5X the graphic quality overall..

And still, in my opinion, more 'personalized' large scale missions dont need 400 sqaure miles, aside from desert island I had always thought the original ofp maps were farrr big enough for most missions. Like some of you guys said, add in high texture stuff into the maps (grass, trees, etc), and then all of the sudden theres a high res map still of considerable size where one can make complex large scale missions and not have to worry about lag due to island size.

While playing cti on AEC island, I noticed easily the difference in gameplay, and especially as time wore on and players got more and more resources accumulated in many cases it got to be unplayable, opposed to the standard cti game on everon, that could last for many hours with maxxed players and still run well.

5+ years of those Islands let them die with OFP its time for the new and out with the old.