Sign in to follow this  
aus_twisted

CTI in ArmA

Well tactic is not anything that you can force from public unknown players. Everyone on a public server has his own ideas of a "tactic".

CTI tournaments are differnd from public CTI games. wink_o.gif

Of course, you can make a game that static, that no1 has a choise to play it in a other way then "your own tactic".

But, CTI is the greates thing in OFP. tounge2.gif

Because it offer you all ways to play the game.

You can play it defensive, offensive, with a big tanks force or just with inf. + paradrops.

Takeing & holding the towns is the main task for all player, right.

But there is nothing wrong with, CTI that we have is one major reason why still so many people play OFP.

There is no reason to change this way.

Its 100% fun.

*EDIT*

@XCess

There are allready standard CTI addons, today its the @ctitc6 addon pack (8mb).

Well my BW@DVD/US@DVD need around 400mb of addons, ...but it tooks time to make people horny for it biggrin_o.gif

And yes a big cargo plane for a game like "ground control" will come, but better call the mission differend, i mean CTI is CTI.

"Island control" would be a better name, in my eyes.

Ofcourse anyone woul like more realism and dont want units to pop up form nowhere!

BUT: its unplayabe like that. Imagine a c130 bringing in stuff all the time. A nmy player could just take a zodiac to an island in the flying route and take all incomming planes down.

The same is for convoys. A few minefields and the game will be over.

Maybe the island size in Arma makes this better. We will see.

Oh, and I do enjoy CIA coops just as much (maybe more) as the regular CTI games.

But there goes nothing above a CTI game in a tournament.

I think it will be hard to balance it out, for example gunship helicopters could easily take out all the support convoys... but i would like a mode involving mechanised infantry squads with limited armored support and arty. I also like the idea of having CO slots for each side, someone who could have a better view of the whole thing and call the shots, where to direct support, where to assault, defend and reinforce.

I understand that by limiting the players freedom to use whatever they want and rambo around can be seen has limiting the fun part but for some of us the increased realism adds to more interesting and appealing gameplay.

Someone once said: "real war is not fun and we try to portray that in our games".

Ofcourse OPF/Arma can still be fun, but so can RTS games or BF games, thats not the point.

From the little i read about the BIS CTI mode i agree that there is room to expand it but it seems more interesting than all OPF cti's to me smile_o.gif .

Ofcourse anyone woul like more realism and dont want units to pop up form nowhere!

BUT: its unplayabe like that. Imagine a c130 bringing in stuff all the time. A nmy player could just take a zodiac to an island in the flying route and take all incomming planes down.

It depends on how the mission is built :

Once new reinforcements are available if there are nice scripts that allow the commander to select the entry point and the drop zone of the C130 by example , instead of having everything automatized with the enemy AA soldiers problem you suggest, it should not be a problem as the commander would then tell his guys to secure the drop zone.

With that, it would be up to the commander to select the most secure path for his aerial reinforcements and prepare everything so the supplies are not shot down.

The same with convoys, as the commander before allowing the new reinforcements to arrive by convoy would first select where they should deployed , and would then tell his guys to secure the path.

While for human commander that should be no problem to manage, for AI commanders (in the case of a COOP CTI like there is in OFP or just if players want to let the AI doing the build/commanding part) it would need some good scripting to code such AI commander to act with some kind of intelligence instead of just having the convoy and air supplies going in silly places.

Very good ideas Sanctuary smile_o.gif

For the AI commanders, a script could be written that would randomly select positions out of an array of 50 or anywhere inside a set radius from the base. Controlling that side of things shouldn't be too much hassle... The convoy on the other hand would be a little more complex, but still workable.

It depends on how the mission is built :

Once new reinforcements are available if there are nice scripts that allow the commander to select the entry point and the drop zone of the C130 by example , instead of having everything automatized with the enemy AA soldiers problem you suggest, it should not be a problem as the commander would then tell his guys to secure the drop zone.

With that, it would be up to the commander to select the most secure path for his aerial reinforcements and prepare everything so the supplies are not shot down.

The same with convoys, as the commander before allowing the new reinforcements to arrive by convoy would first select where they should deployed , and would then tell his guys to secure the path.

While for human commander that should be no problem to manage, for AI commanders (in the case of a COOP CTI like there is in OFP or just if players want to let the AI doing the build/commanding part) it would need some good scripting to code such AI commander to act with some kind of intelligence instead of just having the convoy and air supplies going in silly places.

I personally think some kind of LST would be better. You would have to defend the port at all all costs or else you could not receive your shipments. Or maybe an LST for heavy things like tanks and C-130s for lighter things.

You could put men with stingers on the LST to defend it against air attack a few machine gunners to defend against small boats.

Speaking of men with Stingers on LSTs;

Does ArmA now allow free movement on board vehicles in motion?

No.

Quote[/b] ]

That CTI is the "greatest thing in OFP" is your opinion, and only this : an opinion.

Don't assume you know everyone's one. You have no more clue than people arguing it's not realistic.

You are so funny biggrin_o.gif

Yes, I know, truth is fun. Fact is still, you don't know more than I do wink_o.gif

(BTW trying to look down & patronizing people without bringing anything to the argument is not convincing in any way, it looks rather... dumb?)

Guys, supply line are perfectly playable.

An ennemy can take down the supply? But... THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT! You'll need to take action to protect it and ensure it arrives at destination.

It enhances battlefield (you're not forced into playing in or near key locations only)

Once more, supply lines are the key element in a war campaign.

CTI can be great, but imho it should evolve, there's much room for improvement. Most notably all the RTS elements that, still imho (and it's my opinion on what game I would like to play), shouldn't be there. They drive off the tactical war FPS aspect.

An ennemy can take down the supply? But... THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT! You'll need to take action to protect it and ensure it arrives at destination.

It enhances battlefield (you're not forced into playing in or near key locations only)

Once more, supply lines are the key element in a war campaign.

CTI can be great, but imho it should evolve, there's much room for improvement. Most notably all the RTS elements that, still imho (and it's my opinion on what game I would like to play), shouldn't be there. They drive off the tactical war FPS aspect.

Indeed, it adds more real "strategy" to the whole gameplay, camping and holding specific areas wont be enough to win.

A team might rush and get a hold 2 or 3 map areas.

The other team might hold only one area and focus on disrupting the enemy supply convoys that are necessary to create supply bases, then cover their own supply convoy...

But can Arma handle that many players in MP?

(performance and netcode?)

6 pages of post, and no real indepth analysis of what the BIS Armed Assualt CTI is all about.

I'm not talking about what you wish, or hope, or what OFP's CTI is.

But that was mentioned as part of the build up to this game.

So, does anyone have any info? whistle.gif

Sounds very familiar, yeah I played one of those games where you had so much money on a GameSpy(Bleeeep) an TG AA aint gonna be like that.

Page 2 halfway down Celoush's post.....

biggrin_o.gif  I did see that Placebo...but it's still very short, and it does seem to have been the spark that has sent everyone of into theories as to what CTI is.

I'm still waiting for a detailed description...even if it's a scan from the user manual that someone can translate  biggrin_o.gif

What's even more important to me at this point is how many AI can you have running about without killing the server?

In current RTS-3 games, once each team amasses about 50-70 units per side, then it starts to get laggy. When I say 50-70 units, I mean counting each unit whether it be a tank, jet, solider, etc. Even if it has multiple units driving/gunning/commanding the vehicle then it still counts as only one.

I'm hoping that larger numbers of units are possible without undue lag because in the BIS version of CTI or in RTS-3, battles would truly be awesome to have some massive tank squads and battles raging.

In RTS-3 we balanced out air power by adding ARENA to the main battle tanks as an upgrade so your entire squadron couldn't get completely pwned by 1 jet/chopper.

One other thing: isn't it now possible to control more than 12 squad members? If this is the case, then it'd be very nice for these scenarios.

No.

Damn sad_o.gif

One other thing: isn't it now possible to control more than 12 squad members? If this is the case, then it'd be very nice for these scenarios.

if i remember right each player is able to command up to 40 ai soldeirs. can be that i am wrong, but i think i heard it at the PC-Action Magazin DVD.

6 pages of post, and no real indepth analysis of what the BIS Armed Assualt CTI is all about.

So, does anyone have any info?  whistle.gif

I quote that...

And just to repeat my maybe stupid question: Is this CTI thing also available for Single Player or is it strictly mp?

if i remember right each player is able to command up to 40 ai soldeirs. can be that i am wrong, but i think i heard it at the PC-Action Magazin DVD.

I try to control up to 78 AI and this is no problem smile_o.gif

So, does anyone have any info?  whistle.gif

I quote that...

And just to repeat my maybe stupid question: Is this CTI thing also available for Single Player or is it strictly mp?

ITs a MP map only.

However I dont know if the AI can be a "Real" opponent like in crCTI. Then you should be able to run a server and do coop modus on it.

hopefully someone scripts Ai into, at the moment ai vs ai in arma is looking pretty darn good. im gonna have to go thorugh my old mans old old old military handbooks to grab tactics to atleast stand a chance.

One other thing:  isn't it now possible to control more than 12 squad members?  If this is the case, then it'd be very nice for these scenarios.

In ArmA? How do you control them?  Do you switch between squads or is your command menu really large?

In ArmA? How do you control them? Do you switch between squads or is your command menu really large?

From what I read, you use F1-F10 to select individual units and F11 and F12 to cycle to the next/prev 10

Hi, im personally againist the CTI mode in the servers, in the OFP

it used to be really really boring and a thing for campers and childs,

i also think that that's bring down the OFP to the BF2 level (which's very low...) what i like of the MP are the coops, and now we could play play coops human vs. human sides if the ArmA supports large player numbers.

Wasn't fun (at least for me) to travel on foot long distances with nothing to do until reach X village covered by a dirty camper and his/her satchels; and the few times that i played to that boring MP mode... i never seen more than 32 players (camping) in the same server, and most of 'em... became quitters at the 15 or 20mins of camping without nothing to do except smoke a cigarette waiting for the next target to blow his head off. That's why i don't like the CTI mode and why i hope that it don't become the main MP mode played in servers; there's the BF2 for play in that way. Let's C ya