Sign in to follow this  
Sennacherib

stop

please stop. i'm fed up to see a lot of people here, think they are 3d or 2d artists.

real 3d artists: http://www.3dtotal.com/

please let the other learn from you.

i'm fed up to see:

wow amazing, awesome: when the model or the textures are bad.

3d and 2d stuff are serious, personally i learn, i still learn. i spend one week for a texture. and you?

you criticize BIS, but none of you, can imagine their work. yeah, i criticize too, but personally i try to understand and learn before open my mouth.

i know, i'm harsh, but it's time before the release of Arma, to become serious.

create textures with photoshop is easy, but learn the bump mapping, normal mapping, the blend tool in 3ds max is difficult.

and personally i don't want to see crap stuff use with the amazing Arma engine.

we need to learn.

This gripe needs a new thread? I don't even know what you're on about, please enlighten me! dunno.gif

Quote[/b] ]i'm fed up to see:

wow amazing, awesome: when the model or the textures are bad.

An awesome addon is -not- just :

-super high res texture

-super high polygonised model

An awesome addon is an addon i use with pleasure.

It is using low res textures ? it uses low poly model ?

i -strictly do not care- , as long as i enjoy someone OFP work, it is an awesome addition to my OFP folder.

Just an example : the Marine Assault Pack is my favorite addon pack ever, it may not be up to ArmA or most of the modern addon released quality, may not have 100% accurate textures but i continue to use it nearly each week when toying around the editor.

That was an awesome addon when it was released, that's an awesome addon now.

Quote[/b] ]and personally i don't want to see crap stuff use with the amazing Arma engine.

That's easy, just don't download what you don't want to see in your ArmA installation, no need to rant against people making addons for free, on their spare time.

Not sure to see what you are talking about with your rant on who is an "artist" and who "learn" though as i don't remember any addon maker coming here arrogantly claiming he is doing "magic".

Quote[/b] ]-super high res texture

-super high polygonised model

An awesome addon is an addon i use with pleasure.

It use low res textures ? it uses low poly model ?

are you serious? so stop to post critics in addon topics. a good addon, is a good model with good textures.

Quote[/b] ]Not sure to see what you are talking about with your rant on who is an "artist" and who "learn" though as i don't remember any addon maker coming here arrogantly claiming he is doing "magic".

open your eyes. check the sigs of most the members. they are pretentious.

blabla studios etc. you live in a world of dreams.

Quote[/b] ]That's easy, just don't download what you don't want to see in your ArmA installation.

easy reply. but when you want to tell something about an addon, you become a bad guy. i say that, because it's impossible to criticize the llauma's head (sorry Llauma is just an example).

i know, it's difficult to see the truth, but in my culture, we can't accept a thing, without a minimum of reflexion. And we know that learning is the most important thing.

@Sanctuary, we live in the same state, but we don't have the same culture. for me and my people, a little thing can become a great thing, but with some work. nothing is never finished.

This gripe needs a new thread? I don't even know what you're on about, please enlighten me! dunno.gif

why not? sorry english is not my maternal language. i try my best to be clear. if i'm not clear, sorry for that.

this topic is about pretentious people. check the operation in irak thread in addon discussion, you will understand.

Quote[/b] ]open your eyes. check the sigs of most the members. they are pretentious.

[...]

this topic is about pretentious people. check the operation in irak thread in addon discussion, you will understand.

When i see that in comparison to what you say about how is my "culture" in comparison to yours biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]

know, it's difficult to see the truth, but in my culture, we can't accept a thing, without a minimum of reflexion. And we know that learning is the most important thing.

@Sanctuary, we live in the same state, but we don't have the same culture. for me and my people, a little thing can become a great thing, but with some work. nothing is never finished.

Oh the irony biggrin_o.gif

a good addon, is a good model with good textures.

Are you serious? A good addon is an addon that is a joy using. If it happens to be good looking as well, then that's a bonus, but it doesn't make the addon good.

@ D@nte - what the hell is your problem? I would rather have all of the "Pretentious people" here over you any day. People make addons for free because they enjoy it and because other people enjoy using them. Who are you to come here and tell everyone they need to stop making crap addons? I don't know what culture you come from but maybe while you are reflecting you should reflect on yourself.

Guest Ti0n3r

Nope, I will never stop. I will critizise my ass off. I am unstoppable yay.gif

a good addon, is a good model with good textures.

Are you serious? A good addon is an addon that is a joy using. If it happens to be good looking as well, then that's a bonus, but it doesn't make the addon good.

rofl.gif no really. why you can't accept that a addon can be a heap of shit. no shadows, no dust. and after that you cry because Arma is not realistic.

irony like said Sanctuary

Quote[/b] ]open your eyes. check the sigs of most the members. they are pretentious.

[...]

When i see that in comparison to what you say about how is my "culture" in comparison to yours biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]

know, it's difficult to see the truth, but in my culture, we can't accept a thing, without a minimum of reflexion. And we know that learning is the most important thing.

Oh the irony biggrin_o.gif

it's not "irony", but just the truth.

how many time, you spend on a addon?

@all. sorry you don't understand. i don't criticize the work done, just the conclusions. tell the truth, is a good thing gfor the addon maker;

why most of you don't say? hey mate your textures are

stretched.

it's a good thing to have harsh comments.

icon_rolleyes.gif

A good addon is an addon that is used in many mission and is used by many MP servers to play with it.

Something that enhances gameplay either by re-presenting a new theather of operations,new army or has new gameplay features.

If anything,all the favourite addon studios have focused to much on high-poly, maximum detail textures.

I personally hope for ArmA that all addon makers sit back and learn what they are making addon for. A Game. Not a pissing contest for whom Parvus makes the nicest screenshots for.

Well, you know that I know that we know that they know that we know that we dont want to have any more topics like this anymore.

ever wondered why renders from 3ds max look better than bulldozer renders D@nte? 3ds max is specifically built to create gorgeous renders, it has 100's of extra odds and sods that help the crap modelers out there make anything look half decent. It has an excellent lighting engine, and an excellent materials engine - its built to create good looking models period... It is a proffesional modeling tool, hence the hefty price tag! You can make an amazingly rendered addon for ofp/arma in 3dsmax, but at the end of the day you have to port it to O2, the ofp engine and lighting, and i'd wager that it will look half as good as it did before. 3dsmax creates a virtual makeup to fool people into thinking renders are better than they actualy are.

oxygen was built to make low poly, efficeint models for ofp...

Quote[/b] ]a good addon, is a good model with good textures.

no... no its not... thats about 10% of what makes a good addon - a good addon is one that works with the engine it was designed for... anyone can model something pretty with 10,000 pollies and 100mb texture tiles, but it will run like a dog in game... you're being blinded by vanity and havn't the faintest idea what a truely good addon entails - CP whoreability isnt the sign of a good addon, and you are not the voice of reason on this subject.

I'm a part two RIBA architect student. I've lived and breathed 3dsmax, autoCAD, archiCAD and others for the best part of 4 years now, creating hi detail, expansive photo realistic renders of my buildings. What i can achieve in 3dsmax that specifically designed to do what i need it to do, is no reflection on what my abilitys are with oxygen. Its a different world - its comparing a family hatch back (small car for those who arent british) with a F1 car in a race... they're both designed for very different things, and both excel in those fields.

how about asking these 'gods' of yours to come work their magic with oxygen and the ofp engine then? I reckon you'd be amazed how bad they are without their sexy lighting effects, bump mapping and other wizzy items that dont require you to be able to make anything as complex a texture as many of us have to.

however D@nte... I will go out on a limb and support your notion that people should face some harsh truths with what is and isnt a top class addon... you have a valid point and I respect that. What you cant do is shit on the next generations of marfy etc by making them give up because their very first O2 addon was crap... some of us dont like spending months on a model and texture, like i do and you do, for something that is simple a hobby.

with the new engine, the new abilities (bump maps, better lighting, better materiality) the addons will certainly become more polished as we learn how to exploit the most out of arma. Like one of the guys I know who works closely with the engine once said to me:

Everything looks good in Arma[/i]

rofl.gif  no really. why you can't accept that a addon can be a heap of shit. no shadows, no dust. and after that you cry because Arma is not realistic.

irony like said Sanctuary

I can accept that an addon can be a heap of shit, but how it looks is a minor detail. If you seriously think that how perfect a model looks is the most important thing in an addon, you really need to [read my signature]. No matter how good an addon looks, it needs to be playable to actually be good.

Because an addon can be good without being perfect.  Because people have jobs and real world commitments which take up their time.  Because we are happy to be getting free addons.  Because we are not jerks.  Because the main problem with the gaming industry today is that it is focused on graphics rather than gameplay.

In a nutshell.

Because an addon can be good without being perfect. Because people have jobs and real world commitments which take up their time. Because we are happy to be getting free addons. Because we are not jerks. Because the main problem with the gaming industry today is that it is focused on graphics rather than gameplay.

why not take lessons smile_o.gif.

the first one is free .well kinda lol.

3dbuzz lessons delphi/ 3ds max/ etc .

btw this whole thread goes against the ethos of ofp.

graphics meant for nothing in cwc and res and it still sold 2 million +.

move this thread to the bf2 forums on bf2.con

its all about the game play

the best tank i ever played with and its bis all the way

linky pooh, ready in 5 mins

Im not really sure i understand your argument D@nte.

So all the talented individuals who have been editing for ofp for all these years with no complaints finally come to this?

D@nte i do not belive that a "good" addon consists of a 1 million poly model and high res texture maps. I think you need to re phrase your word "addons", Are you referring to "OFP Addons" or are you getting that mixed up with "Rendered 3d design imagery" that is only meant to look good in a screen shot?

As messiah said, you ask some of these "gods" to model in a 4 year old engine, that still today has model and texture standards of todays games, they would run a mile, i can tell you because i have gone and asked a few people like these "gods".

Addons for me is about playerability, not looks, OFP engine is "more" of a challenge for talented modelers and texture arstis than these so called "gods", want to know why? Because the community will use them, play with them, bug report, edit them, MP test them and have a "fun" time, you cannot do that with rendered screen shots.

I was quite suprised to see this topic, as you have done some nice work for the ww2 objects and buildings you are making.

Smiley

@ D@nte :

And how about you stop ranting or insulting people and begin to help addon makers yourself.

Do you have an idea how much cooperation in the OFP background there is between people you have qualified as pretentious, do you have an idea on how many time they spend on addon making and helping each other, wasting their free time.

Obviously you have no idea, else you would have not made such a thread.

So get off your arrogant high horses and begin to help people improve their "crap addon" as you call them, then you will see how the addon maker community -really- work instead of writing your fantasy here.

Every team has the ability to name their team whatever they want (except copyright issues). If they want to use "studios" for example, then they can.

First you say that you aren't a 2D/3D artist unless you can produce the things like that on the site you mentioned. The problem is that technologies change so fast that even those people you accept as being "2D/3D artists" have to learn constantly. By your reasoning no one can call himself a 2D/3D artist as art is always a work in progress.

How is anyone ever going to get up to that level if they are not even allowed to name their addon....studio, and by calling their addons ugly? huh.gif

By that logic only a maximum of 1/10 "addonmakers" in this community should be allowed to create an addon.

My advice to any starting addonmaker is to take it one step at a time, and to not look on those kinds of sites alot for the first year. It's nowhere near your skill level, and you'd be better off looking at people closer to your level that you can learn from without being blown away by a learning curve that is too high.

@ D@nte :

And how about you stop ranting or insulting people and begin to help addon makers yourself.

Do you have an idea how much cooperation in the OFP background there is between people you have qualified as pretentious, do you have an idea on how many time they spend on addon making and helping each other, wasting their free time.

Obviously you have no idea, else you would have not made such a thread.

So get off your arrogant high horses and begin to help people improve their "crap addon" as you call them, then you will see how the addon maker community -really- work instead of writing your fantasy here.

yeah sure, but when i ask something, i don't have replies or usefull one.

no i don't compre cg pictures and ofp. i just want to show you the reality.

we have a lot of addons "studios". but please take a look at their works:

- not shadow

- no dust or mud etc

sorry but i can't say wow amazing. why do you want to see criticisms?

@Messiah. huh.gif?huh.gif?huh.gif?huh.gif?huh.gif?huh.gif?huh.gif??, a good mode is not 150000000000000000000000000000000000000000 faces; a good model is just a model with no shape problems (missing faces, double faces etc). it's sad, you don't want to learn the 3d stuuf. who i am to say that? just a noob. but personnally i try to learn.

Quote[/b] ] autoCAD, archiCAD
ok. so you can understand what i mean. personally i use autocad, architectural desktop, revit, allplan etc. for your projects, you don't use a 1500000000000000000000 faces, but the job must be good, i mean real?

well, you criticize BIS, because, a guy don't have a real weapon (it's an example), but when you see a bad addon, you can't say the same thing. my question is why?

BIs is a pro team, me and you are nothing in the game bussiness, so we must stay at our place. BIS dooesn't need lessons, but us, yep sure we need leesons.

Quote[/b] ]well, you criticize BIS, because, a guy don't have a real weapon (it's an example), but whe nyou see a bad addon, you can't say the same thing. my question is why?

Profession <--------> Hobby

People that only have a little free time can't produce the same level of quality within the same timeframe as someone that does a 9 to 5, 5 days a week (and often alot more).

we have a lot of addons "studios". but please take a look at their works:

- not shadow

- no dust or mud etc

sorry but i can't say wow amazing. why do you want to see criticisms?

Why dont you get permission to edit thier textures and edit the details on yourself.