Sign in to follow this  
mr burns

Stargate mod, important!

Wait, They are just trying to railroad all current SGC Projects, As long as your Mod is NOT FOR PROFIT You should be okay. I dont see why MGM is having such a $hit fit over somthing like this, its not like you are portraying Stargate down to the dotted I and the Crossed T. Your not using Richard Dean Anderson's Face or somthing so It shouldnt be a bit deal... Heres what you should do, Contact Gekko Productions, Seeing how Richard Dean Anderson Made and Produces the Concept of the SERIES and the Mod is all About the SERIES and not the MOVIE, Contact him and Ask for his permision, If he gives the green light, then theoretically speaking, no more problems, you have permission, because your Making somthing thats NOT FOR PROFIT about the Stargate TV SERIES and the Stargate the MOVIE, Hopefully that should work out. I'm off to play some ofp now, Good Luck guys. I hope you can Keep working on the Addons, and if you cant Rename the mod to Fargate... No, Cause then Williams Street Inc. Will Try and Sue cause they made a knockoff of the Stargate and named it the Fargate in an Episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Just name it the Startgate and $hitstorm averted, lol. Anyway, enough of my chattering, Good Luck out there, and I hope this Storm will Settle, TTYL

Gordon Frohman

NOT "Freeman" but "Frohman"

i agree if anything this is making more fans come watch stargate they should be happy for these mods

same sort of thing happened to iL2..

was only a matter of time until the carrion that are major companies turned to games in an effort to get more $

Going back again to that HALO mod that was closed by Microsoft. They closed it because they wanted to do a new HALO game. Maybe MGM is planing something new in Stargate and they see the OFP mods as rivals. In any case GOODLCUK to ofpc.de and all other sites involved. They are just posting the news from a vibrant and strong community. No one is dealing with OFP modding for cash. People just love it.

We already paid more than 2000€ on this lawyer and every admin who ever published content about Stargate Worlds is facing similar if not higher costs.

Well i don't get this. Why you paid 2000 euro? For what? Why are you paing lawyers? You want to go to court versus MGM?

Or you want to tell me, that you recieved some kind of warning from MGM and after that, you went to hire the lawyer...?

I can belive, that there is some MGM's letter, and they there is possibility that they have asked to remove all SG related materials, because they own it's trademark. BUT if this is what happened, why you just did not made what they wanted?

I really don't understand, why are you paing for lawyers. The whole thing looks like one big canard to me.

grr it always happnes as well before the thing gets released, why couldnt of the new stargate got released then bashed.. always happens with everything,.,. huh.gif

Going back again to that HALO mod that was closed by Microsoft. They closed it because they wanted to do a new HALO game. Maybe MGM is planing something new in Stargate and they see the OFP mods as rivals. In any case GOODLCUK to ofpc.de and all other sites involved. They are just posting the news from a vibrant and strong community. No one is dealing with OFP modding for cash. People just love it.

the team still plan to release the mod, just under a new name.

the team still plan to release the mod, just under a new name.

i hope your right remebers "lega Warz"

We already paid more than 2000€ on this lawyer and every admin who ever published content about Stargate Worlds is facing similar if not higher costs.

Well i don't get this. Why you paid 2000 euro? For what? Why are you paing lawyers? You want to go to court versus MGM?

Or you want to tell me, that you recieved some kind of warning from MGM and after that, you went to hire the lawyer...?

I can belive, that there is some MGM's letter, and they there is possibility that they have asked to remove all SG related materials, because they own it's trademark. BUT if this is what happened, why you just did not made what they wanted?

I really don't understand, why are you paing for lawyers. The whole thing looks like one big canard to me.

errm Bojler, if you get a letter from a lawyer, it's

not like 'please i'm sorry to say that but would

you be so kind not to do this?'

It's more like he tells you that you have done something

illegal amongst his clients and that you will be sue'd for

that in all cathegories.

Now the worst thing you can do is to create an answer

upon your own by thinking that the law will forgive you

for not having known something because you're just

doing something for free for the comunity.

They will use every single mistake you make in your letter

against you.

If you want to answer a lawyer, you need a lawyer yourself

or you really sit in sh*t. wink_o.gif

~S~ CD

I dont see the problem if it is not being sold for money or money is not changing hands.

basicaly mgm or whatever is gay and they can take me to court over that!

the mods main site has no advertisements and it porbably why they have not recieved a letter from MGM.

changing the site to .uk wont work as the site already hit was .de

anyway heres a link to ofp-sgc get the addons befre you cant get them anymore if anything happens

http://www.ofp-sgc.com/

Going back again to that HALO mod that was closed by Microsoft. They closed it because they wanted to do a new HALO game. Maybe MGM is planing something new in Stargate and they see the OFP mods as rivals.

I see a lot of sense in that. If MGM are bringing out a new SG game soon then the fans would be torn between spending a reasonable sum for a probably rubbish game or spending a few mins downloading a free mod that would be a lot better.

btw Mr Burns that's too bad that you've already had to pay so much to avoid further conflict - I hope you guys make it out without too much of a problem smile_o.gif

I hope this is a reminder to everyone who's working with mods etc. which they don't have the rights to. Even if you might win the case (which I doubt) no normal person can afford to take the chance. There are lots of OFP mods which might cause problems for the news sites. Halo, Tiberian Sun and Starship Troopers are among few. I'd avoid posting anything about them.

MGM seems to be attacking all mods and sites which makes money by using their trademarks. It's not just OFP sites. It might seem harsh but there's nothing to argue about as they are right.

Sites such as ofp-sgc are (atm anyway) uneffected by this.

They do not use adverts to subsidise costs, and carry a disclaimer crediting all those involved in the Stargate franchise, and declaring their non-profit making objectives.

Llauma is, however, correct in saying MGM have the right to legal action in the case of the news sites. Even if they also carried legally binding disclaimers, the use of adverts on the pages could be interpreted as an attempt at creating funds off the back of any Stargate media carried. It would be a case of not showing any news involving it at all, or remove adverts, consequently bringing financial difficulties to many sites.

We had to ask about permission on EA.. and they have said we have got green light, and if we have got any questions they will give us some supports too, some people are telling me, EA sucks, but, they dont. It's cool that they arent how "example" Microsoft and stop a mod.

Llauma has got right, its better to ask about permission and the exactly rights before to start a modification about ...

so... the tiberian genesis mod has green light, and has got no problems :P just @ Llauma :P one problem we have, we need some texture artists biggrin_o.gif

ltrs

hm...

if its just a name thing why not simply renaming it?....

wormhole extreme LOL (remember the episode)

wot bout star portal? lol..

About our lawyer expenses ...

Their first letter gave us two choices:

a) sign their letter, therefore admit that we are profit-oriented and pay them a 5-digit fine.

b) delete all content and explain that we are not profit-oriented by any means.

Like anyone would have, we took route b) and soon encountered more problems - in the end our limited legal knowledge forced us to hire a lawyer, before we could fall victim to legal trapdoors.

That's as much as I can tell you. Be sure of this: Without a degree in law or a astonishingly cheap lawyer at your hands, you will not get away with less than 1000€.

Could ofp.info get dragged into this too?

Also, MGM can do whatever they want with Stargate, it doesn't matter who created it, they bought the franchise and now they control it.

This makes me unhappy. MGM didn't make stargate, they're just a syndicate.

Indeed, but they are probably the one getting the money from copyrights etc...