Sign in to follow this  
fasad

Island beta : P2006 (working name)

EDIT - ALL DOWNLOADS/PICS REMOVED, FINISHED VERSION TO BE RELEASED THIS WEEK smile_o.gif

excellent work, i also hate the jelly mould hills people make crazy_o.gif

bootneckofficer

Had a quick scoot around - it looks very nice smile_o.gif

I made a CTI_DAC mission for Novajev, this looks like a good candidate for the next one. Interested? Capture the island seems to have extra meaning here smile_o.gif

Incidentally, I got a message about a missing Map_misc addon or script or something, can you add this to your list of required addons? (And a link wink_o.gif)

The towns look suitably realistic, and look good for AI to wander around. I'll add a small DAC zone & see what happens.

Say i have a question

what the biggest OFP island u know of

WRP Quad by a-lone-wolf

WRPquad.jpg

Thanks for the comments people!

Thanks DMarkwick, I guess that map_misc contains some support scripts or something? I have not been able to get such an error. Where were you and what were you doing do at the time of this error? I'll add it to the list to be safe.

Btw, some of these addons are not used in this beta, but around the port on the south east island.

Since this map is not complete, I do not recommend making any large missions on it. New villages may be added, and all object IDs will change. I will be likely be reworking the town nearest the airport.

Any more comments based on loading the map in OFP (rather than looking at the screenshots)? Be harsh, I can take it : )

Quote[/b] ]Thanks DMarkwick, I guess that map_misc contains some support scripts or something? I have not been able to get such an error. Where were you and what were you doing do at the time of this error? I'll add it to the list to be safe.

I get the error message upon launching OFP, even before the splash screen. It comes up as a Windows messagebox. I'm guessing one of the addons itself has a dependancy on it rather than the map first hand.

Quote[/b] ]Btw, some of these addons are not used in this beta, but around the port on the south east island.

Since this map is not complete, I do not recommend making any large missions on it. New villages may be added, and all object IDs will change. I will be likely be reworking the town nearest the airport.

It seems to be very dense, I put a simple(ish) DAC zone onto it (8xtroops, 8xunarmoured, 8xarmoured, 5xhelos) and the game became very jerky. I have a feeling that when the entire landmass(es) are finished it wll only be suitable for small simple zones only, not too much of a biggie but it might be indicative of how large missions might eventually play out.

I'm not suggesting you simplify the map, I like it's denseness but I just thought I'd mention an observation.

Quote[/b] ]Any more comments based on loading the map in OFP (rather than looking at the screenshots)? Be harsh, I can take it : )

I wouldn't dream of being harsh smile_o.gif it's a wonderful island so far, very dense as I have mentioned. I would say that there's a lot of very small cabbage-sized bushes dotted around that are unnecessary, and small grass type objects that are also dotted around in single clumps. (If a single plant can clump.) There's maybe a lot of these types of vegetation that can be deleted and replaced in more localised densities rather than alone in the middle of fields, which I have seen quite a few of.

Map_Misc : Okay, I believe this addon is not required but will leave it on the list for now. I've been testing on a clean install of OFP and a Mod folder containing only the addons in the readme and have never had such an error. Are you using mod folders?

Quote[/b] ]It seems to be very dense, I put a simple(ish) DAC zone onto it (8xtroops, 8xunarmoured, 8xarmoured, 5xhelos) and the game became very jerky. I have a feeling that when the entire landmass(es) are finished it wll only be suitable for small simple zones only, not too much of a biggie but it might be indicative of how large missions might eventually play out.

I'm not suggesting you simplify the map, I like it's denseness but I just thought I'd mention an observation.

That is bad news!! I've made p2006 island (really needs a name eh) with a significantly lower object per km^2 count than Nogova (1890 vs 1520). I've done some large battle testing myself, using the full p2006 with complete vegetation on all islands and found it to perform as well or better than nogova. I've just done some quick tests using copies of the "_DAC_07_ReduceBigZone" demo mission. I get ~40fps on eden, and ~35 on noe and p2006 (although it is impossible to create exactly comparable contitions). Could you let me know if you still have troubles? How big was this zone?

Quote[/b] ]I would say that there's a lot of very small cabbage-sized bushes dotted around that are unnecessary, and small grass type objects that are also dotted around in single clumps. (If a single plant can clump.) There's maybe a lot of these types of vegetation that can be deleted and replaced in more localised densities rather than alone in the middle of fields, which I have seen quite a few of.

I've placed some OFP1985 bushes at a reduced scale (to hide the lower resolution textures). The intention was to provide a wider range of small plants/weeds, but they do look a bit out of place. I want to keep some single bushes to provide more options for cover (snipers and recon). The default BIS snipers also have a chance of blending into the landscape if there is some vegetation that matches their camo suits! : )

Quote[/b] ]Map_Misc : Okay, I'm believe this addon is not required but will leave it on the list for now. I've been testing on a clean install of OFP and a Mod folder containing only the addons in the readme and have never had such an error. Are you using mod folders?

Yep, using a mod folder just for this map. Tried it with ECP and GOTY.

Quote[/b] ]That is bad news!! p2006 island (really needs a name eh) has a significantly lower object per km^2 count than Nogova (1890 vs 1520). I've had done some large battle testing myself, but found it to perform as well or better than nogova. I'll have to do some DAC testing.

Actually I just tried it again today and it seems OK. I think that the RHS helos are giving me some problems in general (I've had out of memory errors since using them, but never when not using them). I will do further testing with default choppers only.

Quote[/b] ]I've placed some OFP1985 bushes at a reduced scale (to hide the lower resolution textures). The intention was to provide a wider range of small plants/weeds, but they do look a bit out of place. I want to keep some single bushes to provide more options for cover (snipers and recon).

Yep I hear that. The ones I'm referring to look mostly like this, too small to be of much use and oddly placed. Around the perimeters of forests might be better for them, but I'm not too worried about them since seeing FPS improvements. smile_o.gif

OFPP2006Bush.jpg

Quote[/b] ]Actually I just tried it again today and it seems OK. I think that the RHS helos are giving me some problems in general (I've had out of memory errors since using them, but never when not using them). I will do further testing with default choppers only.

That's a relief - If nothing else this testing has reminded me how awesome DAC is! : )

Those small weeds are intended to break up the emptiness of the fields, which is more of an issue with the custom textures (larger paddocks). I agree they have no practical use and would be one of the first things to remove for performance sake. I'm not entirely happy with the farms to be honest...

Some picket fencing would finish the farm off, or some default BIS hedgerows along the edge of the mud area would help section it off.

Nick

Like the island:notworthy:

you should try AEF? Train pack, there are some new Bridges that the train can use. as far as i know no other islands use the bridges

Say i have a question

what the biggest OFP island u know of

WRP Quad by a-lone-wolf

[mg]http://web.quick.cz/fholesinsky/OF/WRPquad.jpg[/img]

I've got a 102km map of both Tonal islands combined, flight time between the two in a BAS Blackhawk is about 15 minutes in real time. The only problem with 51 and 102 km maps is that they run into an engine limitation with how the truncation of float values results in epileptic proxies in the NE quadrants.

-edit - broke quoted image wink_o.gif

Like the island:notworthy:

you should try AEF? Train pack, there are some new Bridges that the train can use. as far as i know no other islands use the bridges

Thanks. I've looked at the AEF trains, but was not happy with their performance. Way too many scripts - one train with 3 wagons = a drop of 30 fps! The train often leaves the tracks under time accelleration, I couldn't get the AI to successfully drive the trains, and any man who tried to board the flatbed carriages was warped into the ocean somewhere. The tracks and engine look ugly anyway...

I'm not really sure whether this counts as a "ground texture" point, but at the airport, (sorry, I forget the co-ords) the runway and the path from the main body of the airport suitable for planes to be stored is incorrectly aligned.

The path goes north-south instead of east-west which it should be.

Sorry if this is a waste of time, and I hope this helps.

I'm not really sure whether this counts as a "ground texture" point, but at the airport, (sorry, I forget the co-ords) the runway and the path from the main body of the airport suitable for planes to be stored is incorrectly aligned.

The path goes north-south instead of east-west which it should be.

Sorry if this is a waste of time, and I hope this helps.

The airport taxiways are part of the ground textures, so that's not a problem. Thanks for noting it though.

The airport taxiways are part of the ground textures, so that's not a problem. Thanks for noting it though.

No problem, and well done on the islands, they're excellent. I like the way that the terrain is realistic and rolling, rather than, as you say, "jelly moulded".

Best of luck with the other island you're completing.

New version - CEEB_P2006_1129_BETA

Since I'm sure you are all bored with ArmA, FFUR 2006 2.5, Tonal Redux, CSLA 2.2, WGL 5.1 and the new SLX mod, I'm here to offer you the chance to help run around a 130km^2 island chasing bugs! smile_o.gif

I've 99% finished the 2nd island and will release the final version very soon. I am currently adding a few special signs and working on the config. Please, if you can, run/fly/drive around and let me know of any bugs or problems you find! Performance is also an important consideration. I want to release the island right the first time, so please be as pedantic and brutal as you can! (no ground texture comments though!wink_o.gif

The new eastern island is flatter and with a higher population and more agricultural feel, with many (dirt) farms and towns. It also contains a large harbor and a larger military base. I've added to and tweaked the western island a tiny bit but nothing major. Due to a lack of time/interest, the third island has sadly been abandoned and removed.

=====================================

Required Addons (same as 1012) :

AGS_inds.pho

"Third World Explosion Team Industrial Pack (3WX Edition) version 3.0"

(better known as Agent Smiths Industrial Pack version 3.0)

ftp://www.ofpr.info/ofpd/unofaddons2/ags_inds.zip

AGS_port.pbo

"AGS Harbor Pack version 2.0"

ftp://www.ofpr.info/ofpd/unofaddons2/ags_hckit1.3.zip

Baracken.pbo

"Mapfact BARACKEN ADDON UPDATE" (version 1.5)

ftp://www.ofpr.info/ofpd/unofaddons2/Baracken1_5.zip

F3WX_O1.pbo

"Third World Explosion Team 3rd Party Objects Pack version 1.1"

ftp://www.ofpr.info/ofpd/unofaddons2/F3WX_O1_V.1.0.ZIP

JOF_Objects1.pho

"Mapfact Addon: JOF_Objects1.2"

ftp://www.ofpr.info/ofpd/unofaddons2/JOF_Objects1_2.zip

MAP_Heaps.pbo

"Mapfact Heaps V2.0"

ftp://www.ofpr.info/ofpd/unofaddons2/MAP_Heaps_V2.0.rar

MAP_MilObj-Pack.pbo

"Mapfact Military Objects-Pack (MilObj-Pack) V1.0"

ftp://www.ofpr.info/ofpd/unofaddons2/MAP_MilObj-Pack_V1_0.rar

MAP_OilAddon_3D.pbo

MAP_OilAddon_T.pbo

"Mapfact Oil-Addon v1.02"

ftp://www.ofpr.info/ofpd/unofaddons2/MAP_OilAddon_v1.02.rar

MAP_Shed.pbo

"Mapfact Sheds v1.0"

ftp://www.ofpr.info/ofpd/unofaddons2/MAP_Shed_V1.0.rar

GROUND TEXTURES :

This is a beta test of an unfinished island. To reduce download size, I have replaced the custom ground textures I'm using with the default BI Nogova textures. Because of the limited number of transitions used and therefore distributed with Nogova, there many ground texture problems on this version of my island. Please tolerate these errors until I release the finalised ~70mb custom textures. As is, it should give you a basic idea of how the ground should look. This beta uses basically the same ground textures as the last, so the east island is not as acurate as is could be.

KNOWN PROBLEMS :

- "Palette" island was left in this BETA. It's the square island near the airport. It will be removed.

- AI can not enter military bases or industrial areas even when gates are open (or they walk straight through shut gates). Without mapfacts permission I cannot implement my solution, and they have not replied to my emails or messages. I will probably use permanantly open gates or no gates.

- occasional rocks sticking out of the ground at unnatural angle. Hard to track them all down.

- harbor needs work. It was the first area built on the islands some ~5 months ago! FIXED

- almost no town have lights. Do you want them? It can be annoying turning them all off if your mission requires dark towns. FIXED

- major road to (almost) no-where. This was where the bridge to 3rd island starts, so the road will stay tounge2.gif

- leave the OFP1985 weeds or get rid of them?

- barn in house at 617529 FIXED

- bushes on road at 68-57-

- multiple forest corner tiles in exact same spot (causes massive slowdown, but otherwise not visible in game) FIXED

Thanks to anybody who takes the time to have a look. Have fun!