Sign in to follow this  
Stealth3

BF2142 InGame Advertising

Actually we already have a great system for implementing spyware in OFP, here's how it works :

Using a complex system of scripts, data that can be used to psychologically guess at a player's profile can be exported via fwatch. That user-unique data, along with other juicy tidbits like say the contents of their cookies and bookmarks and history folders, could be pushed up to an ad-server, preferablely a randomized irc bot so as to avoid easy throttling.

Once the individual is analyzed, to determine if their m4 whoring may suggest deeper psychologically and economically exploitable parameters, the ad server could then respond with a dynamic link pushing customized ads back to the end user, to be stored in a cache dir. Billboards would then be dynamicly spawned like grass mod's around the player's location, but would by default be invisible until setObjectTexture'd, so as not to disclose the player's location. The billboards would then be setObjectTexture'd to provide the user's specific targeted content. This actually takes advantage of the non-MP nature of setObjectTexture.

This requires a potentially blockable client side app however, complicating the implementation since engine mandation would be essential to proper functionality. Rather, it would be more suited to clan environments, where the server host could enforce the installation on the server. This has the downside of less-specific advertising, however certain subjects are presumed to have widespread-enough common appeal to still be marketable in those situations.

No intervention would be required on the client-side, rather the server would just start shooting ad's at them causing them to spawn up client-side. Implementation via init EH should be fairly trivial, to get around those pesky mission designers who might irrationally complain about degredation of gameplay.

1.) BF series is crap (maybe some fun when you are drunken and at a lan party..)

2.) EA is a money sucking black hole, who gives a shit about things like "what the community wants".

3.) I don't like the idea of give EA my money for low quality addons, called: "Booster Packs".

4.)BF 2142-08/15 is nothing more than a BF2 mod, but they want the money of a full price game. biggrin_o.gif

5.) The ingame advertising is another thing I don't want to see in such games.

EA said, the money made with this will be used for better games and support for existing games in the future. whistle.gif

---

EA can make another hundred games but I'm not going to buy them.

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

BF isnt crap, but it did creat a lots of crap rofl.gif

anyway, it would be ok if ppl could choose to install that ad spyware thing or not, but seems that EA have cross the line this time, well still, they dont care at bit nener.gif

crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]"Players who have the Windows security update KB917422 installed may suffer from an application error when running Battlefield 2142. This error can be solved by uninstalling the KB917422 update."

Why does a user space application need to mess around in kernel space?

--

Well, at the moment I do not have much time for gaming, but I'm waiting for a sequel to Enemy Territory. Anyway, you can meet me at Flame Guards server #1. Nick: mort (Gentoo Linux).

I dont have any problem with in-game advertising, as long as the publisher clearly states to the customer what kind of deal he is getting.

BTW:

I dont think it makes any sense to denouce publishers or programmers as "greedy". Trying to make money is what they do. It is their job to try to create as much profit with their product as they possibly can. In that they don't differ from any other company. Do you think the guys at BIS get out of bed each morning, because they want you to have good time on your computer? I don't think so. They want money. And for all I care, they deserve it. Greed is what makes people tick. Let them be greedy as long as they do a good job. Greed is good.

I dont have any problem with in-game advertising, as long as the publisher clearly states to the customer what kind of deal he is getting.

BTW:

I dont think it makes any sense to denouce publishers or programmers as "greedy". Trying to make money is what they do. It is their job to try to create as much profit with their product as they possibly can. In that they don't differ from any other company. Do you think the guys at BIS get out of bed each morning, because they want you to have good time on your computer? I don't think so. They want money. And for all I care, they deserve it. Greed is what makes people tick. Let them be greedy as long as they do a good job. Greed is good.

I think what people are objecting to is the fact that EA and Dice are releasing a game that seems to be nothing more than a rehash of the previous game, with all the same bug problems as before (0 day patch anyone), cluttered with advertisement that that doesn't make it any cheaper (which is the benefit of advertisments to the consumer, if something carries them, it's cheap or free).

Ad's may be the way of the future, but the way they are being implemented should mean the cost is reduced. If they were static, there wouldn't be too much of an issue. But EA are targeting their ad's dynamically, so in effect more money, that doesnt seem to be spent on quality control.

Check this article out lol

http://digitalbattle.com/2006....nounced

Quote[/b] ]“After extensive research of player actions in the game, IGA found that players were spending 80% of their time in the game staring at fellow Squad Members. We realized that this had untapped potential as advertising space.â€
Quote[/b] ]The expansion pack will include three new armies, each named after their respective sponsors, such as Coca-Cola and McDonalds. A brand new feature, called “Pay-per-weaponâ€, will allow players buy their weapons and ammunition using microtransactions. The expansion will feature the latest in personal body armor, adding new realism by incorporating ad space directly on your soldier.

notworthy.gif

Doesn't really matter for me. They corrected non of their stupid bugs, like bullets not actually hurting you or the enemy when they hit, and the accuracy of the weapons being crap even when you use the ironsights. That they'd pull something like this wouldn't surprise me.

If the software is free to use in exchange for adverts that is a good deal.

Like Kazaa for example.

Otherwise, swivel.

If the server host could choose the adverts and sell that space to recoup his costs, that would be a good feature.

Essentially this is fundamentally wrong in principle. Games should be made for the players not the manufacturers. This games company has clearly lost it's way.

This product is a poor example of corporate greed. A cheap 1 year development sold for the same price as an 5 year one. With the added inconvenience and revenue of ingame advertising and market research. What a rip off.

EA = bad value for money. The brains at Dice have sold up and retired, the game engine will progress no further they are milking a dead franchise.

This is pretty bad. BF2142 is set 100 + years into the future so immersive implementation of ads is prettymuch out of the question, so that argument about ads being implementable if done right is useless.Even SWAT4 messed it up, plastered the entire level with posters, nowhere near immersive,unless hotels in america started putting movie posters into their rooms. So i have no high hopes for this whole thing about ads ingame, unless all future games are going to take place in stadiums and shopping malls.

Like Kazaa for example.

Infesting my computer with the worst kind of spyware for the trailer park equivalent of a P2P network? What a bargain!

Good news...........for Australia

BF2142 wont have the Dynamic In-game advertising in the Oz version.

From Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_2142#Criticism

Quote[/b] ]The Australian version of 2142 however lacks the Dynamic Advertising feature as such an act is illegal under the Australian Anti-Spyware bill

Wasnt there supposed to be some anti-spyware-laws here in europe as well?