Sign in to follow this  
GasCan

Bulletholes and Shellshock ?

Hello there, I've been reading this forum for a while, and nowhere i couldn't find any information about Bulletholes and Shellshock in ArmA. I was thinking if there are bulletholes like, in Joint Ops, when you drive a car, fly a chopper etc. when you get shot in the glass you can see the actual bullethole in the glass, which gives a nice few heartbreaking moments, driving with a jeep and bam a sniper bullet hole hits ur window, and miss your head for 1 mm, got a nice feeling thinking:" How lucky I am that the sniper or me, has too big ping to hit me" biggrin_o.gif And yeah the Shellshock, I like the Shllshock especially in BF2, well in BF2 there is an ordinary shellshock like almost in all games which have this effect, but one thing, I really like about it in BF2, is that if you stand near a tank, and if it shoots, you get shellshocked from the tank fire, which I think is pretty realistic. So as I said above anyone knowes about these 2 things included in ArmA, theyre still minor features, but still theyre pretty cool smile_o.gif

Thanks and Best Regards,

GasCan

Well i think that shellshock (If you mean that when big cannon is fired it produces big BOOM! and not meaning dust kicked from ground) isn't even that minor feature... Losing ability to hear for rest of life. That would be nice feature... "OMG! That friendly tank is coming near us! Let's hope that it doesn't fire its cannon... or even .50 cal/12.7 mm machinegun." HEH-HEH combined arms just had a new ugly side. But most likely that will be left out from ArmA. Or then every soldier should be equiped with ear-plugs...

Well are US Soldiers in Iraq also wearing earplugs, dont think so :/ I'm just saying an nice game feature is the shellshock, thats all, just an effect...

I thought shell shock means something like a psychological trauma.

Yes, it would be a cool feature in a war game if they could implement that.

I thought shell shock means something like a psychological trauma.

Yes, it would be a cool feature in a war game if they could implement that.

Yeah, "shellshock" is actually Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

GasCan, you're really talking about how the screen goes blurry and your hearing is impaired after standing too close to an explosion right?

Quote[/b] ]Well are US Soldiers in Iraq also wearing earplugs, dont think so :/ I'm just saying an nice game feature is the shellshock, thats all, just an effect...

Yes soldiers wear earplugs in iraq.

Yes I mean that Blurry and That Silenced Sound which you got near an explosion etc, about the earplugs ok, i dint know, thanks for info. But in ArmA the "Good Guys" are also US Soldiers, so why they can't have them in ArmA as well, ok enough with this, it can go forever. So Back to the topic, so noone has the info about these 2 thingies ?

ECP does this in OFP, so if it's not standard in ArmA it will almost certainly be added later.

Yeh all guys in combat wear earplugs cause they want to hear when they get out of there.

C'est ca. Hopefully the NSLA guys will be too, if they'd like to preserve their hearing. I'd like to see (or hear?) tinnitus (ringing of the ears) in Armed A, if not straight up, then ECP will tide me over.  biggrin_o.gif

Searching would have found an existing bullet hole thread.

The emotional/psychological simulation of "shell shock" isn't simulated in ArmA, whilst it's an interesting idea it's something that I think can only really be simulated in any way by making the player feel something like it, with ArmA being a game we can only do that by immersing the player as much as possible into the game and the game's events and story so that post combat, post climatic event you feel shocked or emotionally impacted in some way, making you care about the protagonists in a game is the first step towards player emotional integration......

That said of course as the most common effects of shell shock are mental instability, hallucinations, flashbacks, mental/physical shutdown, uncontrollable outbursts of behaviour, it's not something really possible to simulate in a game wink_o.gif

flashbacks, mental/physical shutdown, uncontrollable outbursts of...

LOL. *Memory fogs, light dawns in on thought*, "Back when I was a pixel..."

That said of course as the most common effects of shell shock are mental instability, hallucinations, flashbacks, mental/physical shutdown, uncontrollable outbursts of behaviour, it's not something really possible to simulate in a game wink_o.gif

These effects were perfectly simulated in OFP. After playing an evening I never could sleep because the game was still going on inside my head. All of the effects you name were and still are perfectly applicable. ArmA will only be worse.... thumbs-up.gif

I love the factual information that is so often shared by the multitude of military experts we have on this forum.

I love the factual information that is so often shared by the multitude of military experts we have on this forum.

Great, then you'll feel right at home here smile_o.gif

smile_o.gif

Well, I can say that a few modded online games of OFP1 have gotten my heart rising like no other game has done. There are plenty of factors that make it so I feel this way...to many to list actually.

Searching would have found an existing bullet hole thread.

The emotional/psychological simulation of "shell shock" isn't simulated in ArmA, whilst it's an interesting idea it's something that I think can only really be simulated in any way by making the player feel something like it, with ArmA being a game we can only do that by immersing the player as much as possible into the game and the game's events and story so that post combat, post climatic event you feel shocked or emotionally impacted in some way, making you care about the protagonists in a game is the first step towards player emotional integration......

"... player's emotional integration ..."??

In other words you wanna shellshock all of us? wow_o.gif

Maybe the game ships with some LSD to help the immersion?