Sign in to follow this  
AfrographX

Medieval 2 Total War Demo

Overall, I really liked this demo. It's got everything that made Rome: Total War such an excellent game, and it gets rid of a few problems (E.g. the "clone soldiers") with that game. Combat seems even more centered on heavy infantry and heavy cavalry than it was in Rome. Nice graphical improvements, and the improvements to the campaign map sound very interesting.

Quote[/b] ]Yeah, they pretty much annihilated me the first time and i havent been able to keep enough men to alive to take out the remainders when the attacks are over.

You should advance a little with your center of dismounted knights in order to prevent attacks on your longbowmen. I've had good luck when I lined up my knights with the outermost stakes. As the battle progresses, I shift my knights to one side of the gap between the stakes, and use the longbows to plug the other side of that gap with intense fire. I use my spare halberdiers (The single hand-to-hand unit at the back of the right side of your formation) to either reinforce the left-side reserves against the cavalry attack, or to ward off an attack on the longbows. I've beaten the battle twice, so I must be doing something right.

Quote[/b] ]I dont see why they could'nt of made the AI better

They have improved the AI, but the improvements are probably more noticeable in the nonscripted campaign battles.

Quote[/b] ]Nice gfx, a few improovements system wise..

Don't forget, you can build castles with multi-wall systems (According to a preview movie, you can reinforce a castle with three rings of walls). And I have to say that I like the new blood spatter system.

Quote[/b] ]Battles in Demo are quite harder than Rome it seems?

Yeah, though that might just be a matter of adjusting to battles with many more ranged weapons.

Quote[/b] ]Damn medieval II and online english version of armed assault is coming at the same time

Are you sure that there'll be an online version available in English on that day? I hadn't heard anything conclusive about online distribution.

How did you manage that Stealth3? I've been trying to beat that battle several times in a row now, Iv'e only come close once but that time I let Cortez run in to battle and he got slaughtered :/

im not quite sure i like it to be honest... something seems a little too fake about it all, but i'll reserve judgement to the final thing... still having fun with R:TW so its all good smile_o.gif

Great game, great game... Had really fun with the missions in the demo... It's a pitty but I don't have the money to buy ArmA AND Mediviel in one month, so I have to decide for one and it's quite clear, which one it'll be *gg*

Anyway, I recommend everyone to DL this smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]How did you manage that Stealth3? I've been trying to beat that battle several times in a row now, Iv'e only come close once but that time I let Cortez run in to battle and he got slaughtered :/

You have to know how to use your calvary.

First, make sure that the musketeers and the crossbowman fire at will. (Also disable routing for the crossbowman)

Then position two calvary units at the far left flank and try to go behind the aztecs. Position Cortez it to your right flank close to your units.

Then when your behind the aztecs with the two calvary units, attack their chief from behind, with both units. (The heavy bodyguard units have a cheif in them) Most likely your 2 units will die, but you will cause a major formation disruption and take out their chief causing confusion.

After you do that, some aztecs will attack from behind, so put a musketeer unit on them, Maybe some infrantry too. Then focus on the right flank and try to manage everything together. Bring your reinforcements fast when they arrive. And when you see a chief, take him out first. When all the aztecs chiefs are dead, their army will surrender.

So basically the key is :-Flank the enemy with the calvary and take out the chief.

-Keep your army together.

-Take out the other chiefs

-Make sure the musketeers fire at will.

Yeah... Just a minute after my post I played the battle again and just charged my cavalry into the first Aztec line (instead of waiting with the charge until the second Aztec wave reached my lines) managed a "clear victory" with 320 men remaining on my side.

I'm looking forward to the game - But I honestly think they should have expanded the timeline up to the 17th century.

Not to brag too much, but I survived with around 600 men nener.gif . It's just a matter of using the cavalry to destroy archers and war chiefs.

I'm looking forward to the game - But I honestly think they should have expanded the timeline up to the 17th century.

That's what we have expansion packs for. whistle.gif

Just bought the game - It's on two two DVD discs... And unfortunatley for some it says on the back that it needs an SSE2 capable processor to run, didn't they say that was going to change in the final product? confused_o.gif

Anyways - I'm off to conquer the world yay.gif

Just bought the game - It's on two two DVD discs... And unfortunatley for some it says on the back that it needs an SSE2 capable processor to run, didn't they say that was going to change in the final product? confused_o.gif

The newer demo runs without one, should work fine in retail. Though they officially support SSE2 only if I am not mistaken.

games great! just a few issues there adressing. good game all around. but its more like RTW 1.5. not really anything new apart from units \ sceanario.

The devs are saying that the patch will be released today (or tomorrow, depending where you live when this post was written tounge2.gif). They claim that among the many things fixed the AI should now practice less "let's stand on the bottom of this valley and let our enemies shoot at us until we run out of men or they run out of arrows" type of tactics. yay.gif  yay.gif

Quote[/b] ]

Medieval 2:Total War Update 1

Major Fixes

========

-Fix crash in Deathtrack MP map with empty Team 3 slot

-Fixed Battle AI - armies not engaging enemies at close range.

-Fixed CTD when client attempts to join game that the host is ending.

-Fixed instances when A.I is passive on the campaign map and lets the user win on a campaign battle when stuck in-front of open gates.

-Fixed loop between the windows for 'Possible Connection Problems' and 'Really Quit?'

-Fixed AI: Calvary not charging a spearmen army in a Custom Battle.

-Fixed cavalry not attacking - instances when AI sieges a town with infantry and Calvary, if the infantry die and rout and the player still holds the city, the cavalry do not attack nor rout.

-Fixed passive Siege Attack AI

-Fixed Timurids crash (related to elephant artillery not having enough riders, CTD when trying to shoot)

-Fixed Siege Attack AI trying to attack the back of settlements.

-Fixed Passive attack AI

-Fixed Cavalry charge consistency and power. (Still raise and lower lances occasionally)

Added ModTool Unpacker

-Fixed Crash - Auto resolving a siege battle on Gaza and repeatedly Right - Clicking the settlement

-Fixed Merchant Resource value dropping after load/save

-Fixed CTD caused by Turks AI

-Fixed Cavalry not flanking spear walls

-Fixed AI not crossing river to attack (River Jordan)

-Reduced the effect of morale - enemy AI does not rout so easily

-Reduced the power of inquisitors

-Fixed 'move to point' crash

-MP Multinational support

-Fixed Cavalry sallying out and not attacking (bunching at corner of settlement)

Medium Level Fixes

=============

-Fix construction crash when converting settlements when buildings relating to initial settlement existed in construction queue.

-Fixed Settlement still showing as under siege even though sieging army had been defeated.

-Fixed repeating missions

-Fixed indecisive infantry / broken formation (when ordered to a location they would head in the wrong direction first)

-Fixed being able to open gates with siege towers or embed them in walls

-Fixed victory video not always appearing

-Diplomacy - AI no longer counters an open proposition with a gift.

-Fixed deployment lines being rendered incorrectly around ambient buildings

-Fixed Enemy units remain stationary with flags flashing when ladders are thrown off a destroyed wall in a siege.

-Fixed the carroccio standard not fitting through gates

-Fixed gunpowder units being stuck reforming

-Fixed trebuchets disappearing and reappearing when zooming

-Tweaked morale system

-Partially fixed units moving through settlement buildings.

-Units now check if destination is in a building or not.

-Enabled command-line switch to allow unlimited soldiers (removes message)

-Fixed MP player-names being lost on battle results screen if they quit the battle early

-Fixed the ability for a user to 'buff' their assassin experience by continually assassinating different captains

Other Fixes

========

-Fix difficulty level in MP (Affects Morale). Previously defaulting to Normal.

-Fix lobby tooltip that showed incorrect unit sizes.

-Fix Florins display during diplomacy

-Fix Money field looping into negative/positive value when removing / adding money

-Fix overlapping and incorrectly sized deployment zones

-Fixed cut-off graphics in civil disorder message

-Fixed unclear 'Start Diplomacy' button functionality

-Fixed MP Admit Defeat button functionality

-Fixed missions showing as expired even though they have been completed

-Fixed mouse-overs showing incorrect diplomatic information

-Fixed minor FE Historical Battle error (shield remaining highlighted)

-Fixed MP team chat - colours now match recipient and sender.

-Fixed minor audio issue - Audio: Campaign Map when an English Spy is ordered to join an English army he triggers two "Joins_Army" speeches.

-Fixed minor audio issue - Campaign Map when an English Merchant is ordered to disembark a boat, two "Movement_Disembark" speeches are triggered.

-Fixed Mine income

-Fixed MP ignore/ban toggle permanently banning player from chat

-Fixed - Making an offer gives a blank scroll on the Diplomacy Scroll, but removing the offer gives the player help text

-Fixed Mouse Cursor not updating when over certain parts of the UI.

-Fixed miscalculation of some naval unit movement points.

-Fixed units not leaving an army when ordered to abandon it.

-Fixed 'Possible Connection Problems' message not appearing if user alt-tabs

-Fixed On campaign map, castles appear under 'town' or 'city' title on UI

-Fixed Reinforcements box remains greyed when the user deselects 'Attempt a night battle'

-Fixed double speed on units that should only go at one speed.

-Fixed Stakes not appearing correctly in weather conditions

-Fixed non-functional help button on ransom scrolls

-Fixed intro movies playing at x3 speed in Historical battles

-Fixed transfer army functionality - When transferring men the transfer resets after viewing the description

-Fixed Gunpowder units running forward when given targets.

-Fixed clumping units when they are told to do a 180 degree turn

-Fixed stuck Camera issues

-Fixed Fleeing units rallying at breached walls or gates of settlements they are attacking when they should not

Weee very nice. AI indeed was doing weird things when you were on a cliff. yay.gif

The update 1 is out now!

http://www.totalwar.com/

Very good game, I liked RTW and this game is better than RTW, much better graphics and other little nice improvements.. and I love the medieval theme with all the knights and stuff. smile_o.gif My only gripe is that there are many bugs and i surely hope this update irons out at least the worst ones like the suicidal passive AI and the cavalry that won't charge. confused_o.gif

Great game!! im still used to R:TW & ive learned the tatics i use there dont work on M:TW,bloody good game indeed.Quite suprising how much push the pope has within this game.

You can lay siege to Rome, and get rid of the pope xmas_o.gif

Thats what I did .

Its no walk in the park, so beware.

How is the campaign game? Is it pretty much identical to RTW?

Is the game available for purchase & download anywhere? I hate going to the game stores around here and finding that they don't have it yet.

You can get it on Steam.

Campaign map is a little bit bigger than RTW plus a part of North America that you need to discover later on.

More aggressive AI (if you play on hard with the latest patch).

Also religion plays a bigger part in the game.

I think it will work just like HL2 mods. You can install the mods manually. Now sure about that, you might want to check in with other people.

Here's a picture of the whole campaign map

untitledku9.jpg

I'll check it out. Is that map really that empty or are there just places you haven't discovered yet?