Sign in to follow this  
Quenaelin

shooting while running?

I have watched some Armed Assault ingame videos and these really make me wondering. In some videos it looks like crosshair is sometimes vanishing when you are sprinting and strafing, why is this? Are you able to shoot in this game while sprinting, strafing and walking backwards like in OFP?

Then about soldier animations here:

In OFP rifle was allways pointing forward and riffle was braced against hip while running, I beleave this is quite realistic combat behaviour when there is known enemy presence (atleast I would do just like this). In these Armed Assault animations riffle is moving on hips side to side and it looks like you aren't aiming it toward enemy while sprinting or walking backwards? This looks cool but doesn't look realistic, if you are assaulting towards enemy your rifle must be allways pointing towards enemy positions in case enemy appears to you and when you are backing away from enemy riffle must be pointed towards them, not towards ground. Now it looks like soldiers are sunday running or in somekind of training excercise, it just looks so stupid. Soldier should not sprint toward known enemy location with rifle waving side to side like that, maybe BI don't bother to do both animations for training and combat situations, but I think OFP's riffle animations look more realistic combat situation animations. I really hope these animations aren't in final release? Atleast there should be "charge" button so you can brace your rifle to your side while charging towards enemy, but I think this would be too difficult for players to use. It would be more appropriate if animation would change when there is enemy presence within 1-300 m distance, this would be more realistic and look cool also, then when no enemy is in vicinity soldiers could losen up little bit by waving riffle side to side while running.

I think your thinking of when you press F and slowly walk forward,not run,I'v never seen OFP with animation of running forwards with a gun. Even moreso its a bad idea to do it if you are with people,running for one would take a small bit of stamina but moreso upset your aim horribly,theres no way you could fully keep your gun steady,and when friendlies are around,that is not a good option.

I have watched some Armed Assault ingame videos and these really make me wondering. In some videos it looks like crosshair is sometimes vanishing when you are sprinting and strafing, why is this? Are you able to shoot in this game while sprinting, strafing and walking backwards like in OFP?

Then about soldier animations here:

In OFP rifle was allways pointing forward and riffle was braced against hip while running, I beleave this is quite realistic combat behaviour when there is known enemy presence (atleast I would do just like this). In these Armed Assault animations riffle is moving on hips side to side and it looks like you aren't aiming it toward enemy while sprinting or walking backwards? This looks cool but doesn't look realistic, if you are assaulting towards enemy your rifle must be allways pointing towards enemy positions in case enemy appears to you and when you are backing away from enemy riffle must be pointed towards them, not towards ground. Now it looks like soldiers are sunday running or in somekind of training excercise, it just looks so stupid. Soldier should not sprint toward known enemy location with rifle waving side to side like that, maybe BI don't bother to do both animations for training and combat situations, but I think OFP's riffle animations look more realistic combat situation animations. I really hope these animations aren't in final release? Atleast there should be "charge" button so you can brace your rifle to your side while charging towards enemy, but I think this would be too difficult for players to use. It would be more appropriate if animation would change when there is enemy presence within 1-300 m distance, this would be more realistic and look cool also, then when no enemy is in vicinity soldiers could losen up little bit by waving riffle side to side while running.

| | | |

| | != | |

_| |_ _| |_

IF you are hoping that the player can fire while sprinting, it isn't going to happen in OFP, not ever. Operation Flashpoint and Armed Assault are military simulators, and designed to be as realistic as possible, while still being enjoyable for the player's perspective.

Have you ever tried to aim an assault rifle while sprinting? It would be very dangerous to do this during a battle as you're just as likely to hit your team mates as the enemy.

Also you said the rifle should be braced against the hip while running, the would cause the rifle to be knocked about while moving meaning you could put a bullet ion your leg.

Armed Assault is designed to be a realistic game, and so, you will only be able to fire acurately with the rifle shouldered, we won't be firing from the hip like some "gangsta"

IF you are hoping that the player can fire while sprinting, it isn't going to happen in OFP, not ever. Operation Flashpoint and Armed Assault are military simulators, and designed to be as realistic as possible, while still being enjoyable for the player's perspective.

Actually, you are able to run and even sprint while firing in OFP since the game is released, unless you are using some nice mods disabling the fire possibility during a sprint.

But making a direct hit on a target when firing during a run/sprint is another matter smile_o.gif

Maybe mis-worded that sentence a little bit Sanctuary, don't be so picky biggrin_o.gif

Actually, you are able to run and even sprint while firing in OFP since the game is released, unless you are using some nice mods disabling the fire possibility during a sprint.

But making a direct hit on a target when firing during a run/sprint is another matter smile_o.gif

I belive that was the point of this topick..

It`s not really tactical to run towards the enemy with the rifle pointed somewhere else, and It`s not abut the F-walking but exactly about sprinting.

The reaction time (anim) would be probably shorter If the rifle was more or less pointed at the same direction.

On the other hand, sometimes when you sprint to save your a*s or to avoid being torn to pieces by a granade you don`t really bother about where`s the rifle pointed, you just run as fast as you can. But who will make/use 10 anims just for running then.

Well, if you practice a bit, It`s not so hard to run and shoot at the same time, forcing someone to hide behind a corner suppressing him with a couple of randomly placed bullets. At least you know they went forward, not somewhere left...

@XCess: military simulator should allow you to perform actions which coul be used on the real battlefield, shouldn`t they? And no, It`s not CS stupidity, It`s called suppresive fire, a quite useful thing...

So I watch the video on youtube and didnt see anything wrong..

1. Running and shooting = should not be able to happen, EVER

2. Walking and shooting = YES

3. Running backwards and shooting = NO way

4. Walking backwards and shooting = yes but limited

And yes I know you can really run and shoot IRL, but no one would ever do it. Try sprinting as fast as you can (thats what the run feature is after all) and shot a live round...no one will do it for fear of shooting themselves.

Quenaelin got it guite right. Running and shooting is militarytactic, and it has it uses still in these days. It's not very likely: sometimes in situations where something has been badly f**ked-up already. If you are in position that you need more speed than accurate fire, like your surrounded and you need to get out of there fast and it means that you have to charge towards enemy near you. Shooting has more effect in morale of you and enemy than in killing enemy, but ArmA won't present suppression. I'm thinking something like in Red Orchesta where screen get blurry and shaky if rounds come close, atleast this is what i've heard of it. Sound great idea to simulate fear of death, sometimes this could be disabled from someone (AIs and/or players) randomly to simulate those rare cold-blooded killers. Skill-level ofcourse should also affect to this.

Running animation like it was in original OFP was good, some mods' animations seems to forget the point that gun should be better pointing forward and NOT your team-mate's foot. I don't even wanna think about yelling and punishment if this would have happened during combatshooting.

I can't believe we're actually wasting time on discussing this. So what? You aren't gonna hit shite anyway. All I know is if I were NOT assaulting something (which would be 99% of the time I'd use the sprint button) I'd rather run with my rifle steady in my hand than for it to flacker around.

But it's a silly topic anyway. Do we have nothing better to discuss? It's like the trigger-finger animation all over again. Why is there no thread (on the first page) about AI, viewdistance, vehicle-handling and things that actually matter?

Do we have nothing better to discuss? It's like the trigger-finger animation all over again. Why is there no thread (on the first page) about AI, viewdistance, vehicle-handling and things that actually matter?

Well, look at the progress updates thread...I`m affraid we do not have anything better to discuss, besides, 87% of things duscussed here (sch as wheter we need runing with the rifle pointed forward or left forward etc.) are not belongning to the game2 boards (they have 2+ more years to implement such things), not to mention that 50% of things aren`t belonging anywhere. crazy_o.gif

Shooting while sprinting twoards the enemy would almost certainly end in your death. afaik, most soldiers a trained to rush targets if they have to move quickly, this means two soldiers cover the movement while another two sprint towards the next area of cover (without firing) and then take up firing positions when they come to a stop. Ofcourse you can pop off a few rounds (as you could in ofp) but they really won't add anything to your chances of success.

iirc, ArmA will add supressive fire, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

1. Have you ever used a weapon in your life? I'll admit I have no assault rifle experience, but I use bolt and lever-actions regularly. It is hard enough to hit anything when firing from the hip without either very careful aiming or many, many years of experience, let alone when you're firing from the hip and moving.

thumbs-up.gif

2. Believe me, I've tried running like them do in OFP - it is nigh on impossible to sprint while holding a rifle like that. Holding it accross the chest (ArmA) allows arm movement, which is essential for sprinting. You have more chance of falling over, especiall on rough ground.

rofl.gif

3. I think most modern armies abandoned charging enemy positions over open ground with infantry after critically evaluating that tactic's sucess in the Great War (success = 0).

sad_o.gif

4. Why the f*** would you try to fire while charging? The enmey is going to be entrenched, and shooting back from a stable position. The moment you fire one round from the hip at an extremely unstable sprint, 50 assault rifles are going to be trained on you, not to mention heavy machineguns, field artillery, tanks, AFVs and snipers. Death is always an option. pistols.gif

The idea with these new animations is that this is how you would look while moving from cover to cover - not running out in the open chaging an enemy position. If you know the enemy is in the area you use combined arms tacticts to gain the advantage, and move slowly with your gun ready to fire from the shoulder - if you have adequete covering fire, speed doesn't matter in most situations, and that is how I hope ArmA works.

Shooting while sprinting twoards the enemy would almost certainly end in your death. afaik, most soldiers a trained to rush targets if they have to move quickly, this means two soldiers cover the movement while another two sprint towards the next area of cover (without firing) and then take up firing positions when they come to a stop. Ofcourse you can pop off a few rounds (as you could in ofp) but they really won't add anything to your chances of success.

iirc, ArmA will add supressive fire, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Yes! This is general way of advancing, but as i said, sometimes things can get so bad that it's better to run all the way to end and try to keep enemy's heads down with agressive fire. These situations are dire: your surrounded and/or enemy is fleeing or enemy ambushes your troops in close range. Charge has to be less than 30 meters. That is what my soldier's manual says about it. And from history i've learned that men with automatic weapons can perform effective charge if it happens in that 30 meters range. Enemy has very less time to react, even less if their ears are ringing from handgrenades' blasts. But it can turn out very ugly.

I've understood that AI in ArmA can fire suppressive fire, but i haven't heard anything about what are its effects, does it just allow AI to shoot lots of bullets in certain area. If i remeber right OFP had suppressive fire effect too (arms moved little bit and so aiming had to be adjusted again), but bullet had to hit very close, maybe less than 10 centimeters. In OFP fights are too clean and fast. Only way to long them alot is high dispression for bullets and i don't like it (Well JAM made them pretty allright). I'd like more blur, hand's shaking, head's shaking if bullets fly near... i dunno maybe less than a 1-2 meter. But well this goes to OFF-topic again whistle.gif

I believe supressive fire will cause the ai to dig in, take cover and try to hide while under fire (most likely from that of an MG), sort of a fear effect. This can be implemented in OFPby use of the nearestObject command, so I see no reason as to why it won't be in ArmA smile_o.gif

As for sprinting and firing after an ambush, a much more effective strategy would be for the fireteam to assume 360 area coverage in the best cover possible, begin supressing fire with the SAW (by SAW i mean Squad automatic weapon, not just a minime) on the area with the highest saturation of hostiles and request reinforcements.

The only time sprinting has any use in the battlfield is when rushing for cover, or avoiding enemy fire. Sprinting in general can easily disorganise the team, as each memeber will be running at different speeds, and when you sprint, at least in my experience, your powers of orientation and perception are somewhat lowered.

As I said, it would only get you killed.

As for the main topic of this thread, we will most likely have the ability to fire while sprinting, as we did in OFP, but it will be just as inaccurate as OFP.

Right !

And you can also shoot your feet rofl.gif OFP haven't been egaled.

I can't help it but i have to comment back to XCess tounge2.gif

I'm speaking of bad, very bad situations. But it is impossible to discuss about situations and procedure in text mode. I know from my own experience from airsoft and militaryexercises that charging opponent isn't easy to deal with. It is already close to you and it very much likely knows your location, when conditions that i mentioned earlier are met. But charging should be used only when speed has to be maximum as charging has it's severe risks.

30 meters isn't long distance so formation shouldn't break too much.

I do hope that i can run my weapon pointing forward in ArmA... No more friendly fire, when i accidentaly press my mouse button.

Even if its a 99.99% chance of not hitting anything, I would still like the option of shooting while running anyway. Whats the point in taking a feature out? Whats stopping you from pulling the trigger in real-life? I most certainly don't want a magical barrier stopping me from doing that because the devs have decided that its too difficult to hit anything.

Just slowly destroying the freedom that you have within the game bit by bit. Next they will stopping you from looking downwards because theres nothing to shoot at your feet.

Also, who knows how some of you guys would react to a REAL-LIFE fire fight. You may very well get up and run the opposite way anyway firing your weapon in the process, regardless if you hit anything.

I can't help it but i have to comment back to XCess  tounge2.gif

I'm speaking of bad, very bad situations. But it is impossible to discuss about situations and procedure in text mode. I know from my own experience from airsoft and militaryexercises that charging opponent isn't easy to deal with. It is already close to you and it very much likely knows your location, when conditions that i mentioned earlier are met. But charging should be used only when speed has to be maximum as charging has it's severe risks.

30 meters isn't long distance so formation shouldn't break too much.

I do hope that i can run my weapon pointing forward in ArmA... No more friendly fire, when i accidentaly press my mouse button.

You would have to slow down for a few seconds to steady your aim a bit to get a real shot though. I think the way it works now handles the problem of needing two different animations for different styles of running works perfectly fine.

Sprint, tap f, fire, continue sprinting, If i had to move fast in the kind of situation you describe then that is likely the exact manouvere I would use, although I would obviously much prefer a stable, and static, firing position.

Ofcourse, I would hate to perform such a manouvere without an MG, and possibly an m203/gp30 backing me up with supressive fire...

But on the main subject, a tap of F will allow you to fire in the direction you are facig, although it does take time to steady your aim (as in real life) you can fire in the general direction, so with a little bit of practice, aiming ahead while moving IS possible.... just, not advisable tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]You would have to slow down for a few seconds to steady your aim a bit to get a real shot though. I think the way it works now handles the problem of needing two different animations for different styles of running works perfectly fine.

OK. As i said it impossible to discuss things like this in forums (atleast with my english): I was after this same thing. I wrote about it to my previour post, but then deleted it.

That shooting when sprinting-thing is to suppress enemy, it meaning isn't to hit the enemy, but to scare the enemy and so gain a upper hand. If villain exposes himself then ofcourse charging man has to shoot him as fast and effectively as possible or be very likely dead.

Yep OFP's running animation is good for charging.

to JobJenkins222: If you ment me with that freedom taken away-thing. I didn't say that shooting in run should be forbidden, i just ment these animation models where gun points to my left when i run... and that is direction where some of my team-mates are. Now. I have autofire selected and "accidentaly" press "fire"-key... I've killed some AIs with that.

You can't really supress very well with an m16/m4 though, atleast not against a decent size of enemy, but I think I know what you mean. Firing in an attempt to distract the enmy for atleast a couple of seconds until you can get to a more suitable firing position?

Well, i think the method I described abov, a quick tap of the walk button, fire off a few bursdts in the general direction, and then back to a standard sprint would cover that pretty well.

I think the current animations work very well for what BIS are trying to achieve, which would be sprinting from cover to cover using the method I described a few posts back (leapfrog).

Shooting while runing might be usefull in mp, because I doubt we`ll have the AI that hide after being fired at(?). end of story

you can shoot while running in bf2. and in counter strike. that's why i play ofp.

Even if its a 99.99% chance of not hitting anything, I would still like the option of shooting while running anyway. Whats the point in taking a feature out? Whats stopping you from pulling the trigger in real-life? I most certainly don't want a magical barrier stopping me from doing that because the devs have decided that its too difficult to hit anything.

That's a very good point.

i used to love running and hitting the dirt spraying bullets around, Ofp made me feel like a mad nutter for doing it because i would attract enemy fire. i want the same learing experience in ArmA