Sign in to follow this  
Evil Weasel

Children of Men

Just wanted to reccomend this fantastic film to fellow OFP lovers http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206634/. It's a dysopian vision of the world in 2027 set in Britain, which is based on the book by P.D. James. It's is a great film in itself, with fine acting, a thought provoking story line and wonderfully realised atmosphere. Indeed I would say that it is a film that will constantly feature in top-100 film lists in the future.

However the specific reason that I would advise you to rush to go and see it is for a 15 minute urban battle scene, which occurs about 3/4 of the way through the film. It involves street fighting between the British army and members of an armed uprising. The military accuracy is more than a bit dodgy, unless the UK has re-equiped itself with Hummers, T-72's and Alvis Stalwart trucks by then, however the atmosphere and sense of realism is the best I've ever seen in a film. I have to admit that I've not seen Saving Private Ryan, but it more than matches Blackhawk Down.

The camera work is quite stunning ( it looks like it's been done in a single 15 minute take, although I suspect that that would be impossible), but what makes it is the effects. Visually it looks incredibally good as the bullets ricochette around. Tank shell and RPG explosions actually produce proper dust and smoke clouds, with no petro-chemical balls of flames too be seen. The level of gore is just about right as well; when somebody gets shot it's very far from the usual Hollywood 'clutch the wound and drop immediately dead' routine. What really sets it apart from any other battle scene though, are the sound effects. Assault rifles 'chatter' convincingly, near misses pop and crack as they fly past and shell explosions go off with an overwhelming bass thud, that really overwhelmes the senses. If Bis can get effects even a tenth as good as this into Armed Assault, I'll be more than happy.

As you can tell, I really like this film. What can I say, but go and see it NOW!