Sign in to follow this  
Chaos

Ironsight ?

Can you guys tell me what you think about this?

http://www.ofpmdb.de/phpkit/content/images/Arma200920064.jpg

The ironsight looks wrong to me, the ironsights are too far away from the eye and it looks like he would aim holding the rifle far from him instead of putting it against his shoulder to aim.

No one aims like that in rl, i just hope that isnt final...

If it is im strongly against it and i hope that BIS will fix it.

pistols.gif

Well... i held a AK74 in my hands yesterday and i think you are right. Normally your eye is somewhere over the cover button but however. Its WIP and BIS know what they are doing.

These origions are definately wrong.

I believe with the ak-47, ones cheek would be placed firmly against the piece of metal behind the iron sites.

It looks like hes got the stock of the gun on his chest, and scrunched his neck down to look through the sites.

Very, very wrong. Not to mention the hand looks to be scaled slightly too large, or hes holding the gun too far up.

I own both the ak47 and the ar-15, and this is clearly not the way your supposed to handle the weapons. huh.gif

He'd have his cheek on the cover button, for sure, if he was aiming from a static position.

However, if CQB'ing, I'd say that sight pic isn't too bad - it's a heck easier to hold the rifle out a bit in front of oneself when walking with weapons up. Try it.

ak74su im working on this gun (Wip )

it looks good for me, sights are pointing to center of screen, how would you like it to be?

it looks good for me, sights are pointing to center of screen, how would you like it to be?

Hey that's really good. Nice job!

Quite a few games have that really far-view iron sight that's often centered. I think it looks horrible, unrealistic, and stupid. Let's pray BIS doesn't engage in that folly.

Quite a few games have that really far-view iron sight that's often centered. I think it looks horrible, unrealistic, and stupid. Let's pray BIS doesn't engage in that folly.

There's no other way to do it.. You don't have two eyes like in real life. Here's an example.. The upper one is more realistic of what you see when you look at the weapon with both your eyes but it's not really working ingame. You won't hit anything with it.

ironsightge3.jpg

Hey that's really good. Nice job!

thanks wink_o.gif

what about this view?

i m not sure about the focal value closest to human eye, but i placed my camera where the eye is supposed to be when you aim.

[imghttp://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5078/v02lu0.jpg[/img]>100kb

Yeah, you guys aren't really thinking the problem through (except for Sanc, he knows exactly what's up). The average human has 2 eyes. You get sensory information from both eyes at the same time, but you correlate the two images in your brain and it seems to you that you have one line of sight coming out of the middle of your brow. Having two cameras on a model would certainly not achieve the same effect. When the player decides to spectate the iron sights, the camera must be over top of the iron sites.. like your right eye would be, if you're a right-handed firer. Even with both of your eyes open, you have two simultaneous site pictures... one totally in line, and the other all f*ed up, like seeing both pictures that Sanctuary posted at once. Obiously this would be quite detrimental to the player, so, the visual information represented for the shooting simulation must be taken from the shooting eye only.

I just held mine because I thought the SS looked horrible and wrong, but it's VERY accurate when it comes to what's in the peripheral view.

The only things that look way off to me is the actual size of the rear sight (4-5), and the large size and form of the suppoting hand.

As for the comments about puting your cheek on the top cover?!?! Either your neck is as long as E.T's, or you shortened your original stock. If I strain my neck with the butt in my shoulder, my chin barely goes over the tab used to remove the cover. (Romanian SAR-1)

The SS is mostly accurate IMHO, looks to me like the BIS modeler held an AK too.

There's no other way to do it.. You don't have two eyes like in real life. Here's an example.. The upper one is more realistic of what you see when you look at the weapon with both your eyes but it's not really working ingame. You won't hit anything with it.

when you aim it makes a line from your eye to the target this line goes through rear and front sight. If not youre unlikely to hit your target.

Just get a camera, aim and tell someone to take picture of the position of your eye and you get the best picture how to do it..

Zander please don't hotlink images greater than 100kb.

The most logical way to do it is to slightly alter the point of view position for ironsight use. Let me explain:

For normal movement the point of view origin (POVO) should be centered between the eyes. As you would expect. But for ironsight use the POVO should be moved about 1.5 inches to the right (or left for lefties) to allow the animation dude to accurately depict the stance of the aiming soldier model. (Bare in mind that the new way to do ironsights is not by way of 2D overlay, but using the actual gun model as seen in the game. For the record I prefer the 2D overlay method.) Otherwise the animation guy is going to have to make his aiming model hold his rifle to the center of his face rather than the aiming eye of choice.

I also advocate the moving of POVO for scoped weapons IE the sniper rifle, to the end of the sight rather than the eye. This would allow you to poke your weapon through foliage, keep your face hidden yet allow you to see through the scope. Perhaps this is already modelled, I feel that it is going by some recent experimentation.

when you aim it makes a line from your eye to the target this line goes through rear and front sight. If not youre unlikely to hit your target.

considering this fact, position of the gun cant be wrong the only thing discutable here is the focal value (50mm is the good one) and of course the hand which is clearly not at his place.

considering this fact, position of the gun cant be wrong the only thing discutable here is the focal value (50mm is the good one) and of course the hand which is clearly not at his place.

What would be by far the best is if you could adjust the distance to the sight by simply scrolling the mouse wheel. This would make the iron sight usuable for all kinds of situations. It doesn't sound like an impossible thing to add.

Christ...does anyone read my suggestions? tounge2.gif ^^^

Adjusting the distance fluently with the mouse wheel or clicking the 3rd button and moving mouse forward/backward...OR using the IR tracker for that is imho a great idea... wink_o.gif

--------------

Isn`t It all about the sights placement? It should be moved a bit to the right (or left) to give you at least illusion of looking through the real ones. The right (or left) side of the screen should be blurred a bit, the rest is a matter of FOV and a camera setting.

my fast and ugly pic

Isn`t It all about the sights placement? It should be moved a bit to the right (or left) to give you at least illusion of looking through the real ones. The right (or left) side of the screen should be blurred a bit, the rest is a matter of FOV and a camera setting.

my fast and ugly pic

That and Llauma's idea would be cool.

my fast and ugly pic

In my opinion that only makes it worse.. The so called illusion only leads to the view becoming skewed. You should imagine the sight ingame as what you see only with your right eye. As the right eye is perfectly aligned and of course centered the current sight view is the way to do it. The only thing we can argue about is whether the weapon should be closer or not.