Sign in to follow this  
jakerod

Halo Wars

Halo Wars

Quote[/b] ]Earlier this month, Microsoft shut the door on Halogen, a real-time strategy game based on the Halo universe that was produced using a mod of Command & Conquer Generals: Zero Hour. At the time, gamers thought it was just another case of a big corporation keeping the modding community down.

It turns out the company had a good reason for closing the doors on Halogen--the RTS was a little too close to what Microsoft was already working on. Today at the X06 conference in Barcelona, Spain, the company announced that it has employed Ensemble Studios, the RTS gurus that created the Age of Empires franchise, is working on a real-time strategy game based on the Halo universe.

There is a video render of it on Gamespot that looks pretty cool but im sure the game isn't going to look like that. I think its a pretty cool idea though.

i don't have much faith in this being a good game. Halo should stick to what made it great and that's a FPS. now if Relic and THQ where behind the developement of it, than that would be something different. their RTS games have been very very good! im especially loving Company of Heros. yay.gif

i don't have much faith in this being a good game. Halo should stick to what made it great and that's a FPS. now if Relic and THQ where behind the developement of it, than that would be something different. their RTS games have been very very good! im especially loving Company of Heros. yay.gif

Lol yeah, Ensemble Studios is crap, they only made one of the best (and best selling) RTS series in the history of computer gaming goodnight.gif

Lol yeah, Ensemble Studios is crap, they only made one of the best (and best selling) RTS series in the history of computer gaming goodnight.gif

Best selling doesnt make a game great...

Age of Empires set the standard for all other RTS games with revolutionary ideas, how does that make it not a great game-series?

Age of Empires set the standard for all other RTS games with revolutionary ideas, how does that make it not a great game-series?

Without dragging this into some heated debate..

AOE was good but it wasnt earth shattering, perhaps someone can find a list of what makes an RTS game great, then tick of the list biggrin_o.gif

With your Yoda© inflection you must be referring to Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds, which merely moded out all the art, sounds, and maps from AoE, yet went one to sell a silly load of copies and make a respectible place on the top one hundred PC games by sales, solely because it's part of Darth George's franchise empire.

i just think its a waste, there was a mod for c&c generals named halogen wich microsoft just sent a email and made them go dead..

they where making some really good stuff, and the trailers where nice and all. Is it just me or are all the new game trailers laggin when playing them? tounge2.gif

With your Yoda© inflection you must be referring to Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds, which merely moded out all the art, sounds, and maps from AoE, yet went one to sell a silly load of copies and make a respectible place on the top one hundred PC games by sales, solely because it's part of Darth George's franchise empire.

Er no actaully, I am a huge TA fan and since then the only RTS of real worth imho and on a possible par with TA has been DoW.

But now with the release of CoH I am glad to say the RTS genre' has a new champion.

Although it has some serious competition in the new year, namely from Supreme Commander.

I hope all of you people mocking that Halo should stay as an FPS realise that before Microsoft bought Bungie, Halo was going to be an RTS.

I hope all of you people mocking that Halo should stay as an FPS realise that before Microsoft bought Bungie, Halo was going to be an RTS.

No, the very first idea was an RTS, after that bungie made it an FPS and microsoft bought it after that (ive got a cd with a small movie from halo back when microsoft had just bought bungie)

Er no actaully, I am a huge TA fan and since then the only RTS of real worth imho and on a possible par with TA has been DoW.

But now with the release of CoH I am glad to say the RTS genre' has a new champion.

Although it has some serious competition in the new year, namely from Supreme Commander.

TA was great. Think it (or C&C) was the first strategy game I ever played yay.gif

No, the very first idea was an RTS, after that bungie made it an FPS and microsoft bought it after that (ive got a cd with a small movie from halo back when microsoft had just bought bungie)

Halo WAS originally an RTS, if you have/had the Halo 2 Limited Edition and watched the making of DVD it would explain all smile_o.gif

Wildo

Even if Halo was planned as RTS back in 1998, which later turned into mediocre FPS, and is now is being made into even crappier RTS (And have no doubts - it will be shit) just to cash in on franchise success.

P.S. AoE was shit too, but for some reason heaps of people liked it. smile_o.gif

P.S. AoE was shit too, but for some reason heaps of people liked it.  smile_o.gif

first of its kind? wink_o.gif (that wasnt futuristic)

I think you should try to actually read the thread...there is no link, because there is no Halo Wars yet...

Guest Ti0n3r
Quote[/b] ]P.S. AoE was shit too, but for some reason heaps of people liked it.

Yepp, same goes for OFP wink_o.gif

Starcraft is IMHO still the best RTS. I didn't like the AOE series, and found the gameplay too slow for my liking.

I agree on the Starcraft comment. It was one of the most balanced and enjoyable RTS games I've ever played. Of course, the story rocked too, and that has a lot to do with how good a game is. Most RTS games have a throw away story, really. It takes away from the cohesiveness.