Sign in to follow this  
chipper

Online Distribution System - Confirmed

The biggest problem I see with STeam is that you can't create a "hatd copy". An ISO format download would be much better because if you have to format your hard disc you would still have a DVD to re-install the game rather than having to download the whole thing again.

ISO would also work for people without DVD writers as it can be mounted on a virtual drive.. although a backup disc will still not be possible for them, but it's still better than eliminating that disc from all customers that download the game.

The biggest problem I see with STeam is that you can't create a "hatd copy". An ISO format download would be much better because if you have to format your hard disc you would still have a DVD to re-install the game rather than having to download the whole thing again.

ISO would also work for people without DVD writers as it can be mounted on a virtual drive.. although a backup disc will still not be possible for them, but it's still better than eliminating that disc from all customers that download the game.

I have a problem with that too. Must be able to copy it for myself. I have never used steam and didn't realize that it would not allow you to make a hard copy.

No good.

But at least Armd Assault isn't go have in-game advertising.

i always wonder why most people think " if online content distribution then NO retail AND if one online server then no second one"

well that's wrong smile_o.gif

for example look at Strategy First Inc. http://www.strategyfirst.com/

(publisher with own game development division)

this Canadian firm got into some serious cash problems (one of reasons was expensive development of O.R.B. and it's fail in sales) ...

yet they were able restructure and get back on track, mainly thanks to online distribution and this proves correct use works smile_o.gif

anyway SFI get own online store for online distribution of theirs games:

+ they of course supply retail boxes of same games to stores

+ they sell them on STEAM http://steampowered.com/

+ they sell them on Triton (formerly known as xStream as they tried "copy" Steam) http://www.playtriton.com/

+ You can find some of theirs games also at TotalGaming http://totalgaming.net

+ You can find some of theirs games on Direct2Drive http://direct2drive.com

now You wonder why so many services etc? - reason is simple You cover maximum possible clients

... be exclusive on single service must be balanced by e.g. higher % income (only service worth being exclusive is Steam due amount of unique users (over 10 millions))

The post says ONLINE distribution, not the specific vendor to do so. For all you know they may offer it on Direct2Drive, which doesn't use STEAM.

There are many forms of online distribution and Steam is just one of them- thats what I like to call very narrow vision.

I will be buying it in the form that makes it the quickest available. So if its online I won't mind getting it through that. And by the way, you don't need Steam to run Red Orchestra ; ).

Regards,

Raynor

D2D is horrible. Patches dont work for the game unless they're made specifically for the D2D version. You also only get 3 keys, after that you have to buy the game all over again. So if you re-image 3 times, or happen to delete the game, or it gets corrupted.. your out of luck.

Steam is a great online distribution method. It takes a bit more resources, but when you download the game you actually own the game. You can get a whole new computer and still download it for free, as long as you remember your account name.

Yes.. but you still have to download it mutiple times if anything goes wrong. I'd much rather have a single ISO file which I could bur to a DVD than all the random extension steam files...

The way that Live4speed handles this is great, and elliminates warez alot, especially when arma is focused on mp as well...

You need an account on the BIS server to log in - the BIS server holds all information of your account (such as which license youve bought).

Thats CRAP news  mad_o.gif

This is virtual suicide for Armed Assault, extremely inconvienient. Not everyone has Broadband and i'm certainly not buying 6 copies of it via steam just to play Lan.

A really stupid move by Bohemia Interactive.

Yeah, just look at red orchestra, now there's a devastating failure. icon_rolleyes.gif

But seriously, it will be available in boxes for you plastic/cardboard fetishists. wink_o.gif

Just wanted to add that this is the reason I did not buy Red Orchestra, despite having been looking forward to it for sometime.

Red Orchestra is available in a box too, but it still requires Steam to network, rendering it useless for LAN gaming unless I am willing to buy 6 copies, which I am not.

For the record Steam does allow you to make a hard copy/back up of it's downloads. There is a built in tool provided.

hmm personally I don't mind online distribution but most systems go beyond distributing it online. All I want is the possibillity to get the game by download. I don't want to be forced to have internet access to play the game (also ArmA is definitly not an online game only). I also don't want the program to annoy me with loads of other crap. I do not need ANOTHER messenger nor a "buddy list". Besides the fact those lists are all empty I have about 10 of them already in various places.

It's simple, make a tool that makes you pay and download an image of the game wich you can burn or mount. But that's it. You can add all the other crap but make an easy options menu where I can disable all that crap right away. I do not want to see anything of that tool again until I decide to patch the game myself or buy another game.

Two things have to happen for me to get ArmA:

1. No Starforce

2. Retail box

PERIOD.

About the E3 "Is this the end of PC games...", it is looking that way unfortunately in the U.S. You go to a major electronics store like Best Buy or Circuit City to get a PC game, and they are in the far corner of the store gathering dust. Console games are in the center with 6,000 kids playing the demo consoles and getting their dirty little fingers on every single title.

This is virtual suicide for Armed Assault, extremely inconvienient. Not everyone has Broadband and i'm certainly not buying 6 copies of it via steam just to play Lan.

Yeah, just look at red orchestra, now there's a devastating failure. icon_rolleyes.gif

But seriously, it will be available in boxes for you plastic/cardboard fetishists. wink_o.gif

Just wanted to add that this is the reason I did not buy Red Orchestra, despite having been looking forward to it for sometime.

Red Orchestra is available in a box too, but it still requires Steam to network, rendering it useless for LAN gaming unless I am willing to buy 6 copies, which I am not.

For the record Steam does allow you to make a hard copy/back up of it's downloads. There is a built in tool provided.

untrue

You can run ROO with Steam in OFFLINE mode and still being able play it over LAN ...

so please stop spreading false informations ...

Two things have to happen for me to get ArmA:

1. No Starforce

2. Retail box

Then I guess you wont be getting ArmA. Too bad, it'll be a nice game. We'll be sure to post lots of screenies to show you what its like. rofl.gif

Personally I really like downloadable game formats. As long as you can burn a hard copy to cd/dvd for a back up in the event of a pc crash.

I have nothing against about releasing armed assault via steam or something similar. I´ll buy online version or box, it depends which one i can get faster biggrin_o.gif

this is wonderful news, hopefully they will have i tup and running (the downloads) before the hollidays, i feel sorry for my girlfriend...

untrue

You can run ROO with Steam in OFFLINE mode and still being able play it over LAN ...

so please stop spreading false informations ...

Not according to the games creators you can't.

Quote[/b] ] don't believe it is. It works similar to CSS or DODS, in that it requires an internet connection to play multiplayer

RO Ramm Jaeger.

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum....offline

Still, you know best. It's not like I have actually tested it myself.

Needless to say I shan't be buying it on the off chance.

i own ROO and i tested , it works ...

and of course i discussed this with Ramm smile_o.gif

so pray it stays this way lol

I wouldn't persoanlly mind too much about downloading the game, but now that theres this new Special Edition around I would really like that instead, and downloading a t-shirt and dogtags, well it aint possible. What i would like is if BIS made a boxed copy for release that you order from them and is sent to you, for those people still on 56k, yes there are some. Whilst still having the download option. The thing is alot of people have bandwidth limits, what happens if ArmA is too big to download. For example, I have a monthly limit of 2gb with my provider, if ArmA is like 2gb+ download, im fucked. So really, a boxed version, or atleast the option of it is much more prefered.

As long as download speed will be above 500kb/sec I will buy online and then burn on CD.

I couldn't care less about box and manual. I always throw them away. The faster I get Arma the better! yay.gifyay.gif

I couldn't care less about box and manual. I always throw them away. The faster I get Arma the better!  yay.gif  yay.gif

How strange. Throwing you box and manual away?

i own ROO and i tested , it works ...

and of course i discussed this with Ramm smile_o.gif

so pray it stays this way lol

Nice one, that almost tempts me to buy it.

There are however too many conflicting reports on that forum from other people who have also tried for me to have the confidence. The manufacturers have (finally) gone so far as to state that you are unable to. I hung around on that forum for 3 months trying to find out for sure. And then I just gave up on it.

Validation and anti-piracy systems have prevented me from successfully networking my games too many times in the past.

Gypsy that I now am, I will not be buying anything that I can not be confident is fit for purpose.

LAN gaming is my primary intrest in video games. I don't think I will be buying anymore games that don't specifically support it. I'll be avoiding Steam. I don't suppose they will miss my custom, I think LAN players don't make up a very large proportion of their customers.

I'm with you - I dislike exposing my gaming computer to the ravages of the internet. Hence I use the other, lesser machine to cop the full brunt of the worldwide web and keep my monster for LAN only, usually with a family member who's keep on OFP, and should be keen on ArmedA when it comes out.

I agree though, LANners must be a very small proportion.