Sign in to follow this  
[aps]gnat

Letters, Numbers & Symbols

Working on a set of upper and lowercase letters, numbers and the common symbols.

They are about 11 meters high and by default float 6 meters in the air, but can be set at any height with a simple INIT command.

I may do a smaller set too, about 4 meters high each.

Obviously targeted for use within Cutscenes, movies or maybe an "odd" mission or 2 smile_o.gif

Working on a trick to change each letters colour ..... following up on a tip from deanosbeano smile_o.gif

Alpha_1.jpg

Sod the hint box, you could fill a mission with these....

"What are you doing here, you're well off course.."

"I hope you have some LAW rounds left"

"This mission was brought to you by the letters a and z and by the number 6"

A brilliant idea!

hey gnat , i aint sure but i think those boards where called

Nazgul's MessageBoards. lol its doing me head in anyway have fun and i will sure use these letters smile_o.gif.

Nice idea.. It's something I think should be done in films more now-adays.. With all the fancy 3d tracking/match-moving stuff, the "old" 2d titles could be made far more interesting.. The only film I remeber having "interesting", 3D opening credit-text was Panic Room (It had the main cast's name "incorprated" into the scene, with relfections and such)

Anyway.. Wonder what other uses these can be put too.. "Capture the Word" game-play mod? icon_rolleyes.gif

- Ben

Hehe funny thing! But I like it and it's cool. Looking forward to the release! thumbs-up.gif

Excellent idea yay.gif

Just some suggestions/questions:

Do they accept setVelocity commads?

Can they be "ignited"?

Excellent idea  yay.gif

Just some suggestions/questions:

Do they accept setVelocity commads?

Can they be "ignited"?

Theres only one type of object that accepts new textures in-game, is not a vehicle, has a shadow and can be set at different heights .... and its FlagCarrier ........ and sorry Mandoble, they don't respond to Setvelocity sad_o.gif

Thanks for the tip deanosbeano ..... found the Messageboards and this bridged most of the problems I was having biggrin_o.gif

@ gnat no problem

@ mandoble there is an sqf function over at ofpec by raptosaurus

in ofp editing scripting beta / moving using setpos functions ,linear and parabolic, if its any good .:)

Alpha_2.jpg

^Smaller font, about 2.5meters high.

Asking for a Favour

Can someone who can do clean textures well make me some base colour ones please, mine always "bleed" sad_o.gif

Need 256 x 256 PAA file, each with Flat Colours of;

- Dark Red

- Light Red

- Dark Blue

- Light Blue

- Dark Green

- Light Green

- Orange

- Yellow (not fluro)

- Brown

- A Green Camo

- A desert Camo

(Best I can do is greys, white and black lol)

Thx smile_o.gif

wouldnt a 2x2 px do it too? huh.gif

i mean, if its just one color without shadows etc. ?

Gnat @ Sep. 24 2006,10:59)]and sorry Mandoble, they don't respond to Setvelocity sad_o.gif

Have you tried how these 3D models look when spawned with drop commands?

This could be good for a Handy reminder. Get the letters in the order you want them in, and follow in front of the player.. the player will never forget anything then biggrin_o.gif

Gnat, you're one of my heroes who makes addons that nobody else will. I've been wanting something like this for a long time. smile_o.gif Keep it up smile_o.gif.

While you're at it, I'd suggest making some simple geometric shapes and objects as well. Basically I'm thinking about stuff that you can have hovering over an object in-game for things like commander missions, etc. Think map markers, only for use in the 3d world. For example:

-Pointy arrow/diamond (marker above unit/waypoint/objective/etc)

-Large disc/box (mark terrain/flight path/etc)

-Basic shapes such as sphere, cube, hexahedron, pyramid, cylinder, donut, etc, all of various lengths/angles/etc (maybe 3 variations of each--but don't worry about overall size as this can be set via the drop command)

-Various colors/opacities of all the above.

If you make it, someone will find a use for it! And I assume this kind of stuff would be relatively simple to make, but for a scripter with no knowledge of O2, this is like candy.

Keep up the great work!

thumbs-up.gif

Thanks GB, coming from you I feel humbled.

But yeh, good idea. Considering I already have 160 p3d files in this addon, a couple more won't hurt I'm sure.

See what I can do, I had already planned to add some arrows but the other items make sense.

FYI all, the current versions (still experiementing with config) can not be impacted, which I suspect suits *most* ppl, but no doubt some will complain, so I might make an invisible "Hit Plate" or target that can be placed with the Letter.

@Serclaes

I guess 2x2 would be ok (I'll check) but its no good for a "camo" version biggrin_o.gif

@Mandoble

Tried it, just got floating grey square .... then again the DROP command always sends me into a spin!

What about versions of the USMC unit markers for cutscenes. Rather than plotting tanks coming up a road the armoured icon can come up.

160 p3d's - Im sure if this thread goes on a little more we can hit 250 smile_o.gif