Sign in to follow this  
j w

Richard Hammond, co-leader of Top Gear, in crash

Guys, just stop bloody arguing! And it was apparently noone's fault. A tire burst, according to my recent hearings. yay.gif << I put that in cos i felt like it.

A tire burst

Exactly. Things happen. No need for some blamegame which only serves the interests of a government that would rather have us all confined to our houses out of which we are only allowed to do nothing else in our lives but work, take part in "safe and sanitised" entertainment and pay taxes. If I ever win a lottery I am going to buy a old fighter jet, F-104 or F-4 and install some of the most smokey and noisy J-79's money can buy and just run it up every day just to piss of people who can't stand other people having fun in other ways then going to the IKEA on sunday with the missus and the spoiled ritalin popping brats.

I was actually not far (only a mile or so) from the accident when it happened (where i work), I saw the chopper coming but I just presumed it was somthing at the airfield.

i have no idea what and who should be blame, and i am sure that Hammond know the risks he have to take(same as may if he is the one in that racer)

Accountability is good and the rules are there for a reason - so that those going to IKEA on Sunday with the missus and the spoiled ritalin popping brats in their corsa don't get burned to death. The Richard Hammonds that willingly take a risk by stepping into a rocket driven car represent a very small portion of the population. So in most cases investigating a crash and assigning blame is necessary.

There is of course no point in assigning blame in the Richard Hammond case, as it is quite obvious who is to blame - Richard Hammond. Knowing that a rocket propelled car isn't the safest way to travel, he of his own free will took a risk. And as will all dangerous things shit happens from time to time. It's what makes it dangerous - and entertaining TV.

I understand why there is an investigation - if there was none, Opel would soon be claiming that the corsa was an experimental zeppelin to avoid legal consequences. I think however that anybody should see that in practice an investigation into this particular crash will be a waste of money. What can they conclude? That driving rocket cars is dangerous? Sensational.

However, there is another twist to this story and it's that Hammond got crash financed by taxpayer money. There is a legitimate concern from people that their money is being wasted by BBC on activities that are clearly reckless and dangerous. I disagree very much with that and find Top Gear to be the best escapist entertainment out there. I'm perfectly happy with people like Hammond risking their lives for my enjoyment. Not all people see it that way though.

At the same time that tax payer money is used to kill people in Iraq on a regular basis and took Iraq into the state that it is in today. Financing Top Gear: 1 near death, Financing regime change in Iraq: 6,600 deaths in July and August 2006 alone. Perhaps those whining about Top Gear should take look at that instead.

Anyway, I'm glad Hammond is alright and I'm looking forward to the new season.

Investigate the crash by all means, infact that is a key way we can improove our technology for the future.

Do NOT, however, make the aim of the investigation to find who was to blame, and to make heads roll. That is the problem with modern society - someone ALWAYS has to be at fault and scapegoated. its not right.

no... its the problem of living in our nanny state banghead.gif

No, DMX is right. We've lost the capability to realise that accidents can happen.

Let's say a train de-rails, and then the investigators can't find any clue to what when wrong on the train, that by the way have been fully operational for the last 5 years.

So they blame the company that made the train for a faulty product.

How would that work?

Anyways, I'm glad to see that Mr. Hammond seems to be alright, and I'm really looking forward to see new Top Gear shows, though, it sucks that we swedes get it so far behind the brits... But, meh

JW

smile_o.gif

edit: I expressed my distaste for the newspaper Clarkson wrote for. As SniperUK pointed out it had little place here.

If you play with fire, chances are you might just get burned. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it, though. No ill will towards the guy, but that's what happens. Seriously, a rocket-powered dragster?! Now that's fire alright.

I'm glad hammonds better !

and ppl let's not make this into a political arrgument etc.

sry

its just that that newspaper has a special status in my home town even after 15+ years.

If you play with fire, chances are you might just get burned. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it, though. No ill will towards the guy, but that's what happens. Seriously, a rocket-powered dragster?! Now that's fire alright.

i think we have to keep in mind its not all hammonds fault. the BBC, producers and us sat at home have to take some responcibiliy. Also it is a acident, you can be dam sure every safety measure was taken, Hammond was probably edged on to do it by the BBC for ratings etc..

Hammond was probably edged on to do it by the BBC for ratings etc..

why guess at what the BBC was doing when you can read the article that was posted above?

in fact it was the complete opposite - Hammond came up with the idea of driving the dragster, whilst the BBC complained about the H&S aspects of it..

here... i'll even quote it for easy reading smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Today, people who have absolutely no idea at all of how television works, (Yes, columnist Neil Lyndon — that’s you, you sanctimonious, rent-a-soundbite little t**d) are saying that our producers push us to do more and more dangerous stunts in a bid for ratings.

Rubbish. Our producers spend their whole lives filling in health and safety forms and asking “are you sure?â€

It’s the presenters who come up with the hare-brained ideas and trans-continental races . . . not the backroom boys or the suits.

this quote is clarksons, not mine tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]people who have absolutely no idea at all of how television works are saying that our producers push us to do more and more dangerous stunts in a bid for ratings.

you can be dam sure every safety measure was taken

A rocket-powered dragster... Fuck... I mean, holy moly. While I wish him the best, I wonder if the thought - "Hm, a rocket-powered dragster car. Could this possibly go wrong? Could I loose control and injure myself or possibly die? At these speeds, could the car be more prone to accidents, and furthermore, could I be more prone to harm during said accidents?"

Accidents happen, but they're more prone to happen in... a rocket-powered dragster! crazy_o.gif <--- This is probably the best situation this smilie will find itself in.

Here's hoping all is well with Richard, and that Top Gear continues to be the best motoring show on the planet!

you can be dam sure every safety measure was taken

A rocket-powered dragster... Fuck... I mean, holy moly. While I wish him the best, I wonder if the thought - "Hm, a rocket-powered dragster car. Could this possibly go wrong? Could I loose control and injure myself or possibly die? At these speeds, could the car be more prone to accidents, and furthermore, could I be more prone to harm during said accidents?"

Accidents happen, but they're more prone to happen in... a rocket-powered dragster!  crazy_o.gif <--- This is probably the best situation this smilie will find itself in.

its not a death trap, these dragsters are driving all the time. Its not asif he was the first person ever to get in that car. It was dodgy , yes, but hammond himself called it a educated risk.

Hammond was definatly under some pressure to get in that car, especially after James May pulled out from doing it. It was obviously a bid to boost rating, tv is a cut throat world, and excitment and risk reaches high on the viewers interest.

Read the article above it says after May pulled out Hammond was eager to take the seat. He was just unlucky he had done runs previous to that at 315 mph. Trevor you just need to read that rticle and stop saying the BBC pushed him into it for ratings, top gear gets it's ratings because the presenters have these ideas and make it fun.

so whats wrong with trying to break limits? just because hammond crash it didnt make that he is stupid, i mean come on everyone knows that how "unsafe" rocket-powered dragster is, but does that make ppl trying to push limits or die tried to be a fool? do you think that the world be the same if somebody didnt put themself onto a steel bottle filled with tons of exprosive fuels and shoot themself into the middle of no where?

With all respect, but he did his job, he chose to drive and he got injured.

The surrounding may sound great, but hey, you know Evil Knevel ? That´s what´s missing these days. The ultimate stuntmen with more than 100 fractures biggrin_o.gif

Evel_Knievel_-_Profile.jpg

Get well soon !

Well from that picture it does appear the Mr Knevel uses teeth whitener. I wonder if there is a link somewhere?

Well the new series is being delayed until Hammond is well again.

On the plus side, I saw some previews of it.

Reliant Robin Space Shuttle Launch! Its bloody huge, has a main tank, and secondary boosters, and 12 tons of thrust.

It'll end in tears!

im a great fan of top gear but i was dissapointed with Jeremy Clarcksons responce. He immediatly bagan to defend the show, and said he would fight to save it. this i totally agree with but a day after the crash i think this is a little selfish of him. It seems like hes trying to make the accident about him when really his priortiy should be making sure hammond is ok.

also i saw on the news that it was somthing to do with a bursting tire. confused_o.gif

It seems like hes trying to make the accident about him when really his priortiy should be making sure hammond is ok.

ever considered that Hammond is of the same opinion, that he doesnt want the show to be cut because of his accident?

but of course, you're right - I mean, damn that Clarkson driving all the way to Leeds to see his co presenter in hospital. How selfish can you get! Obviously the man wants Hammond dead.