Sign in to follow this  
j w

Richard Hammond, co-leader of Top Gear, in crash

Quote from CNN

Quote[/b] ]LEEDS, England (AP) -- BBC TV presenter Richard Hammond was in serious but stable condition Thursday following a crash in a rocket-powered dragster, the hospital treating him said.

Hammond, 36, presenter of the "Top Gear" motoring magazine show, was attempting to break the 488 km/h (303mph) British land speed record Wednesday at Elvington airfield, near York in northeastern England, when the vehicle veered of the track, tumbled over and plowed into the grass.

Hammond was airlifted to Leeds General Infirmary with undisclosed injuries.

"This wasn't a high performance car, this wasn't a road car, this was a rocket-powered dragster which bears absolutely no relation to the kind of cars which are the main fodder of the 'Top Gear' program.

This was a car that clearly contained its own risks," said Michael Harvey, editor of "Top Gear."

The BBC said in a statement: "We are looking into all the factors of this accident and it would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage until we know the full situation."

"Top Gear" is broadcast on domestic television and outside Britain by BBC World.

Richard Hammond

story.hammond.jpg

Link to article: Click

As it says, his condition is stable, let's just hope he comes out alright...

Alot of bad stuff happening now.. Wierd..

JW

confused_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond has suffered a "significant brain injury" after crashing a jet-powered car at speeds of up to 300mph during filming.

Doctors at Leeds General Infirmary said they were "reasonably optimistic" the 36-year-old would make a good recovery.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/5367616.stm

God has it in for celebrities it seems.

Hes a great presenter, hope he gets better. sad_o.gif

As it says, his condition is stable, let's just hope he comes out alright...

well... "stable" is a state when your condition doesn't change. you could be stable in a coma for 10 years and in Richard's case I think the slightest snap in any direction could take his life.

only time will tell... thumbs up

"Doctors are “reasonably optimistic he will make a good recovery†however, according to a Leeds General Infirmary spokesperson." I hope this means he's gonna be alright. If it's not been posted yet, he suffered 'a serious brain injury'. Not brain damage, just injury. I bloody well hope he turns out alright in the end.

Damn ... let´s just hope he´ll continue moderating Top Gear after coming form the hospital, always liked it because of them sad_o.gif

Testament to the quality of the saftey gear if he can crash at 300mph and come out with a black eye and inertia injuries only.

Much props and support to the Hamster, TG just wouldn't be the same without him.

from what i read in the newspapers this morning, he was conscious when they cut him out of the wreckage, and was able to tell his rescuers where the pain was located

always a very good sign smile_o.gif

from what i read in the newspapers this morning, he was conscious when they cut him out of the wreckage, and was able to tell his rescuers where the pain was located

always a very good sign  smile_o.gif

Indeed. if his faculties were still good enough to remember where Jeremy Clarkson was standing I think there is hope for  a full recovery.

always a very good sign smile_o.gif

Indeed. if his faculties were still good enough to remember where Jeremy Clarkson was standing I think there is hope for a full recovery.

rofl.gif

thats classic tounge2.gif - poor little hamster, TG wouldnt really be the same without him.

i sure hope hes oki and makes a full recovery.. he was great in Top Gear.. My best wishes go out to him.. great guy.

apparently he smiled in hospital when jeremy clarkson joked about his driving abilities

kudos to the hamster!

ps im not sure why the news peeps keep saying he lives in cheltenham, he lives near ledbury in herefordshire, hence why he drove through it with a bag on his head in a pink car (cant remember the maker)!!!

bootneckofficer

hope he gets well soon, Top gear wouldnt be the same really with out him co-hosting.

ps im not sure why the news peeps keep saying he lives in cheltenham, he lives near ledbury in herefordshire, hence why he drove through it with a bag on his head in a pink car (cant

Nissan Micra c+c.

clarkson lives near me... seem him occasionally round my way - plus he picked up an honourary degree from my uni (and then go custard pie'd)

I find this fingerpointing stupid. A big enquiry who is to blame? I know who is to blame, Richard Hammond. He knew the risks involved and took them. Landspeed Record Attempts are dangerous and sometimes things go wrong. I am very glad Richard is doing well as I love the show and the part he has in it, bit sad for him this has happened at all because once he recovers fully you can count on Clarkson and May using this against him endlessly wink_o.gif Too bad he didnt break the record, but there is always next time!

I find this fingerpointing stupid. A big enquiry who is to blame? I know who is to blame, Richard Hammond. He knew the risks involved and took them.

Its sad, but thats the way the UK is going now. Nothing is an accident anymore, someone always has to have fucked up somewhere along the line and MUST be accountable.

God damn stupid sue-culture mad_o.gif

Great news that the Hamster is up and about again, he should have some great stories to tell when he's discharged from hospital. biggrin_o.gif

Well, the same thing is done with accidents in Formula 1, it's completely normal for things like this. The slightest mistake by an engineer can have great consequences. Just because Richard Hammond got in the car doesn't make it his own mistake.

If you have just brought your car to the repairshop for maintenance and they forget to put the brakes back does that mean it's your own fault when you have an accident as you should never have been driving in the first place?

Hardly think so. People make mistakes far more often then machines.

If you have just brought your car to the repairshop for maintenance and they forget to put the brakes back does that mean it's your own fault when you have an accident as you should never have been driving in the first place?

That is probably the worst comparison I have ever seen drawn in my life. This was a jet powered dragracer going at close too 300 knots on a disused runway. A landspeed record attempt. This is not your dads opel corsa that got serviced by a certified garage or something.

If you take machines to extreme conditions strange things will happen. It is good too investigate what happens but to immediatly also state that you are going to punish anyone who made a mistake monetarilly is dimwitted and it is this very criminally moronic behaviour that is putting a big shadow over test flying in the netherlands. Does fining someone who made a human error bring back the dead and restore the damage? No it only serves to make lesser men (pencil pushers and beancounters ) feel all macho and cool because they can take money from the people who actually take risks greater then a papercut.

Richard Hammond took a calculated risk when he got into that Jet powered drag racer. Things can break due to circumstances beyond anyones control and perhaps he made a small error which can have big consequences at 300 knots. The race for speed records has claimed lives of great men like Malcolm Campbell but these men stepped into their cockpit's of their own free will. Do you think guys like Campbell cared a rat's ass about sad little civil servants and their sad little investigations? This modern day need to nanny everyone and to financially punish anyone who dare step out of the mould is deeply sickening. If Richard Hammond doesn't feel a need for a criminal investigation against the owners and maintainers of the vehicle then the government should butt out.

Good to hear! sounds like he's alright, if James May says so. Those two are the most likable hosts I've seen in some time, and would be sorely missed. (who else would get old Enstienien-like bookworms to do burnouts? rofl.gif )

I like how his first sentences had "was I driving stupidly?" in them.

Quote[/b] ]That is probably the worst comparison I have ever seen drawn in my life. This was a jet powered dragracer going at close too 300 knots on a disused runway. A landspeed record attempt. This is not your dads opel corsa that got serviced by a certified garage or something.

If you take the F4 Phantom that is in your sig and crash it they will investigate the cause of the crash as well, same as with every KLU F16 that crashes. The F16 is not experimental at all, but they will still investigate it, and as the dragracer is not "your dads opel corsa", the F16 is not "your dads cessna".

Go fast, land hard.

Quote[/b] ]That is probably the worst comparison I have ever seen drawn in my life. This was a jet powered dragracer going at close too 300 knots on a disused runway. A landspeed record attempt. This is not your dads opel corsa that got serviced by a certified garage or something.

If you take the F4 Phantom that is in your sig and crash it they will investigate the cause of the crash as well, same as with every KLU F16 that crashes. The F16 is not experimental at all, but they will still investigate it, and as the dragracer is not "your dads opel corsa", the F16 is not "your dads cessna".

Go fast, land hard.

Investigate the crash by all means, infact that is a key way we can improove our technology for the future.

Do NOT, however, make the aim of the investigation to find who was to blame, and to make heads roll. That is the problem with modern society - someone ALWAYS has to be at fault and scapegoated. its not right.

Go fast, land hard.

You are failing to make sense. There is a difference between a safety investigation into accidents and a criminal investigation out to lay blame and to punish individuals involved by taking their money. You are making the same thought error the dutch government is making in not being able to differentiate between these two. This is the main reason people in the aviation industry are becoming more and more reluctant to work together with the authorities. To immediatly threaten (monetary) sanctions does not motivate people to take part in an investigation. In this case the crash was on private terrain and all those involved do not appear to desire a criminal investigation aimed at monetary punishment. The british government is being highly counter productive here. Taking 10.000 pounds (to name a figure) from the BBC or the owners of the vehicles does NOTHING to prevent further accidents and does NOT make the world a safer place.

The RNLAF will investigate crashes internally and if it is found there have been mistakes made then procedures will be improved and measures taken to prevent this from happening again. These will NOT take the form of fines aimed at individuals. This crash however did not involve a public site, a government owned vehicle, a vehicle registered to be used on the open road nor did any of the involved people voice a desire to have this investigated for the purpose of fining or otherwise punishing individuals. This is just a government trying to assert its nanny state, trying to make money and interfering in an affair it has no place in. If I were to buy a large piece of flat land, strap myself in a rocket on wheels and blast myself across the ground killing myself in the process I should have the right to do so. It is my decision to make. I do not need the interferance of the association of housewives, beancounters, the aged and the cowardly. "Go fast, land hard" is exactly the risk Hammond, a mildly sane adult, was taking. What's next? If I hit myself in the face the government files a abuse charge against/for me?