Sign in to follow this  
JobJenkins222

Recoil in the new videos

I wasn't sure if i was imagining it but for me it seems a little strange and insainly unrealistic that when the player fires in full-auto or even single shot there is little or no recoil what so ever, even in the kneeling (i think) position (Check the mission editor video and the new tank battle video)

I just want to confirm that the devs haven't missed this important factor out.

Mate, for starters that weapon isn't insanely powerful therefore there won't be much recoil, he was kneeling, guess what? Reduceing recoil! and he has his weapon firmly stuck into his shoulder. So, in my opinion, it is realistic. But hey thats just me. smile_o.gif

Well I find it terribly unrealistic aswell but luckily it will be modable to some extend and we know that iron sight sniping ability from OFP already so...

The reducing recoil factor of different positions has everything to do with the shooter's ability to "control" and counteract the recoil better either with his arms or by stabilising the weapon on some object. Sadly this isn't simulated at all in the game.

Mate, for starters that weapon isn't insanely powerful therefore there won't be much recoil, he was kneeling, guess what? Reduceing recoil! and he has his weapon firmly stuck into his shoulder. So, in my opinion, it is realistic. But hey thats just me.  smile_o.gif

Yes you are right, but kneeling down and shooting full-auto (with such pin-point accuracy) is virtually impossible.

Guest Ti0n3r

They promised realistic recoil simulation, so they will have to give it to us. There's no excuse if the retail version of ArmA will feature unrealistic weapon recoils á vanilla OFP.

But I think it looks a bit better than vanilla OFP right now, but... I'll just wait and see if they can keep what they promised wink_o.gif

ArmA is said to simulate a recoil more precisely but I couldn't find a difference between ArmA and OFP in the recent videos: A sniper lays a sight on his target and fires. After a while, the sight gets back to the VERY initial point automatically. Is this a realistic recoil simulation? wink_o.gif

Dude, Soldier has more powerful hand than average man, so his hands isn'y so "shaky" smile_o.gif Recoil in videos is accurate - nor too much nor too less in vibrations.

Dude, Soldier has more powerful hand than average man, so his hands isn'y so "shaky" smile_o.gif Recoil in videos is accurate - nor too much nor too less in vibrations.

not every soldier is a grandmaster marksman with absolutly still hands wink_o.gif some soldiers simply suck at shooting even. Besides. I never fired any american weapon but the recoil must be harder. As I already said. It's not really a problem that your rifle bumps around a bit with every shot if you are trained enough to compensate for it quickly. Yet it does move more than what I see there from my experience. I'm only a conscript soldier though.

not every weapon has recoil, some modern weapons have almost no recoil, so it's well possible in my opinion.

As a user of a 5.56mm weapon, I can tell you that those guns have little kick. I find the recoil looking quite good, myself.

Watch some videos of an M4 firing. Little kick. I saw a video once of some bloke firing a mag off (poorly) in full auto with one hand.

Watched some video´s of M4´s being shot just before coming here on google video...and it seems as if the recoil depends on the shooter too.

There were guys shooting that poor it almost made me cry, but others did better. Maybe depends on the M4 model or used ammunition too, but my opinion stands: some guys just don´t deserve the privilege of shooting weapons!

So maybe it´d be good to make AI recoil dependable on the units skill.

Quote[/b] ]not every weapon has recoil, some modern weapons have almost no recoil, so it's well possible in my opinion.
G11 ? huh.gif

That´s not a gun, it´s a frickin bread box ... firing caseless bread crazy_o.gif

Hahah, like your point about the G11, but the same could be said of a 250mm Atomic Howitzer (except that would be more like firing cased radioactive elephants or something).

AI-dependent recoil would be phat.

ArmA is said to simulate a recoil more precisely but I couldn't find a difference between ArmA and OFP in the recent videos: A sniper lays a sight on his target and fires. After a while, the sight gets back to the VERY initial point automatically. Is this a realistic recoil simulation? wink_o.gif

That is very sad.

I was surprised when I first shot M16 IRL. There is hardly any recoil. Recoil reduced alot with the use of 5.56 ammo, along with multiple downsides of that small caliber.

If you shot 7.62 mm you know what recoil is, with 5.56 you will hardly get much recoil.

No big bang, no big recoil.

That is very sad.

Two comments.....

The most recent video with a sniper (aside from the GC, which had a sniper scope for only 2-3 seconds, too short to see the recoil) was from E3. That build is largely out of date in comparison to the one presently in use/the one for release.

If OFP were to use a free recoil system (no automatic re-adjustment), automatic rifles and machine guns would be useless due to their insane recoil being impossible to compensate for. Of course people are going to argue just to use short bursts, but that still wouldn't solve the problem entirely. Anyone holding onto their gun while firing will be exerting downward force, causing the gun to drop after the shots are complete. How much force the shooter applies determines the amount of climb in gun experiences during firing.

Anyway, long story short, I would prefer OFP's automatic drop system than a free-recoil system. However, if it isn't too much trouble, they could make it a difficulty option.

- dRB

That is very sad.

As a soldier you are trained to make the sights go back... But that fast is a bit unrealistic.

I remember when I was in service, we were told that we at minimum should be capable of firing a precise shot every 4 seconds. But then again, we used G3 rifles which has alot more kick than any newer US ones.

We had 2 shots in 5 seconds to 150 meters with our 7.62x39 bullets, not hard case and we generaly shot both shots in 4 seconds. Recoil was quite big (our rifle was like AK) but if firingposition, i mean our body, was proper, weapon just jumped upwards and landed excatly where it was before shot, so sights were in target again. What i've seen from M16 (from America's Army) it has tendensy to hop little bit to right-upwards direction, so weapon has to be adjusted littlebit in sideways direction after shot... Am i right or wrong? Should this be in ArmA.

Edit: AK has been designed so that recoil "pulls" weapon upwards, unlike G3 which has quite direct barrel-shoulder line (Like in M16), and so G3 shouldn't rise so much... this is theory what i've read... I've haven't every shot with one thou, but i would imagine that G3 hops sideways more that AK and so ArmA's recoil models should be changed so that weapon can travel to left and right aswell as up and down.

The problem with OFP is that you are easily able to sustain rapid fire on a target without actually having to readjust the sights. From real life experience with 5.56 ammo I need to readjust the sights to target after about 4-5 rapid shots in single fire on medium distance (100-150m) otherwise it would have shiftet too much off my initial aiming point.

I'm not saying the weapons have big recoil but they have some recoil and you need to control that. Of course it feels like nothing when you shot larger caliber first but you still need to do something about the recoil.

Of course there are very good shooters around that can handle the recoil nearly perfectly but as I see it OFP is not an elite soldier sim. And there are many professional soldiers that aren't very good shooters - not to mention the quality of the sahrani troops. But from what I've seen there is no realistic recoil simulation ingame and much of the recoil system that OFP has is easily modable so It's not really a major problem to adjust it to my taste. I just don't feel anything like shooting a real rifle when shooting in OFP (and presumeably also in arma).

EDIT:

to prevent confusion. with "rapid fire" I mean single fire in rapid progression. In German we call it "rasches Einzelfeuer"

also its strange because the recoil reaction to sight adjustment is in there , if you aim your gun and select rapid /burst and then select freeview or the * key on the number pad ,the gunnstarts to

raise due to recoil energy.

weird

The problem with OFP is that you are easily able to sustain rapid fire on a target without actually having to readjust the sights. From real life experience with 5.56 ammo I need to readjust the sights to target after about 4-5 rapid shots in single fire on medium distance (100-150m) otherwise it would have shiftet too much off my initial aiming point.

I'm not saying the weapons have big recoil but they have some recoil and you need to control that. Of course it feels like nothing when you shot larger caliber first but you still need to do something about the recoil.

Of course there are very good shooters around that can handle the recoil nearly perfectly but as I see it OFP is not an elite soldier sim. And there are many professional soldiers that aren't very good shooters - not to mention the quality of the sahrani troops. But from what I've seen there is no realistic recoil simulation ingame and much of the recoil system that OFP has is easily modable so It's not really a major problem to adjust it to my taste. I just don't feel anything like shooting a real rifle when shooting in OFP (and presumeably also in arma).

EDIT:

to prevent confusion. with "rapid fire" I mean single fire in rapid progression. In German we call it "rasches Einzelfeuer"

This is what I am worried about too. Single shot recoil is fine, but the ability to fire 30 rounds in full auto without deviating from your initial aiming point is unrealistic, and was something that annoyed the hell out of me how recoil was pretty much nonexistant in ofp.

You could just point the cross hair and hold it down it looks like. That is less realistic than CS! CS doesn't even have that! We are talking like quake-level here! What kind of simulation is that?

Another thing that worries me is the ironsights seem completely still. Is there still a fatigue model in the game? The player was just running around when he aimed is rifle-and it was still completely still.

With the way its going, Armed Assault infantry mechanics seem more llike CS than a simulation.

Wasn't the weapon in the video suppressed? I don't remember but I think it was... since suppressed weapons have a lot less recoil.

Wasn't the weapon in the video suppressed? I don't remember but I think it was... since suppressed weapons have a lot less recoil.

no they make almost no difference

this would stand if you use sub-sonic rounds, but it did almost to none on killing beyond 500m

no they make almost no difference

this would stand if you use sub-sonic rounds, but it did almost to none on killing beyond 500m

Yea, but why wouldn't they be sub-sonic rounds?