Sign in to follow this  
fer

Treasure Hunt

Trying to keep up ...

LMAO. Sorry for the frequent updates, it's due to the semi-RAD approach I've taken to developing this mission with TZW. If it makes you feel any happier:

- Beta 1.05 is stabilised and will soon ship as v1.00

<span style='color:red'>- A CSLA2 conversion has been released!</span>

Links updated in the top post of this thread, as usual.

- Fer <TZW> smile_o.gif

PS I nearly lost everything last week when my motherboard died, and thought I would be out of OFP/ArmA for 3-6 months. So a huge shout out / thanks to Zorlac for heroically rebuilding my PC from scratch. And he doesn't even play OFP!

This is a great idea for a mission. The only problem is it seems that the only way to travel without being blindsided by enemies, is to travel on foot.

That might add to the realism factor, it really makes everything take way too long. A whole island is a lot to move around on just by foot. But otherwise the idea is a good one.

It's one thing to be driving down on a road, and to see 'A' military vehicle and abandon your ride and go to cover.

But it seems the roads are so inundated as to be unusable. You just get spotted and then BMPs will keep swarming you, at what I would consider, an unreasonable pace.

It's one thing to be driving down on a road, and to see 'A' military vehicle and abandon your ride and go to cover.

But it seems the roads are so inundated as to be unusable. You just get spotted and then BMPs will keep swarming you, at what I would consider, an unreasonable pace.

Glad you like the idea. You'd be surprised how few vehicles there are on the island - although I totally take your point about realism not necessarily making for easy game-play (because yomping around on foot is what you would do in RL, but a mission might take a day or three).

Couple of hints for you (we have been playing this for a month or two now, several times a night, almost every night):

- The mix of moving civilian and military vehicles is about 50/50, which is worth keeping in mind because ...

- ... Civilian vehicles can safely spot you without the BMPs arriving, so you can wave to them as they drive past.

- BMPs are on GUARD waypoints, not hunt-scripts, so you can create a diversion in one place, sucking-in the BMPs and clearing the rest of the island for you to move about more freely.

Obviously, these tactics change somewhat if you are playing in match mode: in that situation the it's best to wait and see if the other side creates a diversion first (or just gets bounced by the BMPs). Also, if you are playing alone it can make sense to sacrifice a few good AIs to the cause of diversions.

Would be interested to know how you feel about the mission after playing with these tactics. Thanks for posting - really appreciate the feedback!

- Fer <TZW> smile_o.gif

I'll give it a shot.

Honestly. I thought the BMPs were actually spawned nearby, because they always seem to be just a stone-throw away from any position I've encountered soldiers thus far.

I'll keep trying though. I really do like this idea.

I always wanted to see a mission in which an aerial patrol would take off when you're spotted and make an attempt to track you down, and possibly drop soldiers nearby.

I don't know if it was ever a consideration, but I always liked the idea of having to avoid and hide from a patrol chopper overhead on occasion.

Honestly. I thought the BMPs were actually spawned nearby, because they always seem to be just a stone-throw away from any position I've encountered soldiers thus far.

BMPs start where you would expect them to in RL: stationed at military bases. Bear in mind that a BMP moves pretty fast, so if you engage troops in a town with a military base nearby, the cavalry will come quickly.

I always wanted to see a mission in which an aerial patrol would take off when you're spotted and make an attempt to track you down, and possibly drop soldiers nearby.

I don't know if it was ever a consideration, but I always liked the idea of having to avoid and hide from a patrol chopper overhead on occasion.

TBH, it's not in there at the moment b/c there is no default helicopter for the BIS resistance units, and all development to date has been done with vanilla OFP (the addons versions are always conversions of a vanilla OFP build).

My OFP PC is dying at the moment, but as soon as it is back up and running I shall look into this possibility. Thanks for the suggestion!

- Fer <TZW> smile_o.gif

Hey i know keycats group link script had a chopper that could pop up and drop some spetnaz or whatever you changed them into biggrin_o.gif

and the chopper would do some sort of airsupport for the ground troops. Some of my most exciting missions have been made with group link script as one of the core ingredients. Mabe you could lend some stuff of off group link script?

Hey i know keycats group link script had a chopper that could pop up and drop some spetnaz or whatever you changed them into biggrin_o.gif

and the chopper would do some sort of airsupport for the ground troops. Some of my most exciting missions have been made with group link script as one of the core ingredients. Mabe you could lend some stuff of off group link script?

That's a very interesting idea. Unfortunatley, my OFP rig is dead at the moment, but if you would like to download a copy of version beta 1.05 (BIS-only) and start some tests integrating the relevant part of KeyCat's script, I would love to see how it works out. Sorry I can't be of much help at the molment!

- Fer <TZW> smile_o.gif

<span style='color:red'>VERSION 1.0 NOW RELEASED</span>

All links to the original mission, as well as the variants (WGL, BAS, UKF and CSLA2) have been updated in the top post of this thread. If anyone would like to mirror these files I would be very grateful. I shall be submitting the BIS version of the mission to OFPMD and Fansn's OFP Mission Database ...

This was meant to be released in October after the successful testing of beta 1.05; unfortunately my PC died just before I could release v1.0, and the machine has only just been fixed (thank you to my fellow Tizzies for that),

Hope you enjoy it.

- Fer <TZW> smile_o.gif

PPS I believe the CSLA2 version is on the OFP.info server, which is featuring the CSLA2 mod (update 2) at the moment.