Sign in to follow this  
sfc.itzhak

USMC AV-8B "HARRIER"

hi all.

i decided to rel. the addon to the hole community.. still remamber its a beta + so updates will come..

features:

working gear

working cockpit..

and more..

i would to say thanks to Footmunch and Franze for their big help with this harrier.

some pics ..

the hud.

up.

cxockpitu.jpg

down

cockpitd.jpg

the harrier:

side.

SIDE.jpg

top.

top.jpg

also thanks to:

j w and wipman for testing and tips..

link..

http://www.yousendit.com/transfe....0AFFFFD

any commants place them here..

#if there any fan sites ppl here plz make a kink cuz this will not make for a long time...

sfc.itzhak

i'm sure ofp.info will host it soon as will OFPC.de they allways host mine lol downloading now i've allways loved harriers so an AV8B is still a harrier even if its not a GR9 wink_o.gif

Most release pics too big (forum size limit), "pointers" in them full of typos and ofp.info d/l link not working (main site news section)... but I'm loving it. tounge2.gif

Gotta try this out right away! wink_o.gif

Hi, a very nice addon, it is looking very good. If I might add some suggestions, this addon could need some more lods, because total number of points is a little bit high for only one lod. But nevertheless it is a very good addon.

Just took it for a spin and I love it. My only complaint is that it is a bit slow.

I dont mind a slow jet in ofp, but at least some decent acceleration would be good. It seems like whenever I start turns, strafes, and bombing runs I am borderline stalling, and an afterburner or something would have come in handy.

Besides that excellent addon, thanks.

Very Nice, Afew Pointers.

-Weapons Aden and Sidewinders dead quiet If not silent.

-Wheels Dont turn

-Ejection Seat script would be nice.

harrier1vf1.jpg

Before Each Missile, bomb is dropped for a fraction of a moment the weapon appears above the Cockpit

harrier2fu2.jpg

Dropped a LGB and was damaged, recieved this error.

Must be something to do with the HUD showing damage.

Overall a awesome model and with these few changes would be awesome-er smile_o.gif

just tested this and all i can say is EXCELLENT. as a beta it is wonderful. Can't wait for the final version

also as a side note. It would be nice if the scripts for VTOL that you are making could be compabitle with sole v-22?

finally! ofp is starting to turn out some decent USMC addons!

wishlist;

ch-46 sea knight

AAV-7

re-scripted LAV-25

my life would be complete notworthy.gif

Nice looking aircraft there, I've not tried it out yet but will do soon. One small point of accuracy, the USMC Harrier is armed with the General Dynamics (formerly GE) GAU-12 25mm gun system.. The British ADEN 25mm gun was in development for the RAF GR5/GR7 Harriers but never entered service due to insurmountable technical difficulties. Consequently the RAF/Royal Navy Harrier GR7/GR9 fleet has no guns.

smile_o.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
Nice looking aircraft there, I've not tried it out yet but will do soon. One small point of accuracy, the USMC Harrier is armed with the General Dynamics (formerly GE) ….

…The British ADEN 25mm gun was in development for the RAF GR5/GR7 Harriers but never entered service due to insurmountable technical difficulties.

Research and development of the ADEN25 was a funded by both the UK MoD and the USMC to investigate a replacement for the ADEN Mk4/30mm and the heavier GAU-12U.

...  The proposed design was supposed to be significantly lighter and arguably “more powerful†than either the ADEN 30mm or the GAU-12U pack.   But due to the limitations of the design it could never reach its specified performance level.  Numerous problems were eventually overcome, but only to find that an issue with the ammunition feed spelled disaster for the project. To fix it required a significant change in the weapons design and fairing adding to the already inflated budget.

...  The problem was also attributed to the shape of the round and design of the link.

…At the same time a decision was made by both the UK and the USMC to change the operational tactics of the Harrier removing the need for cannons in the CAS role favouring 2.75in/CRV-7 Rockets instead.  In conjunction with the weight issues this meant the cancellation of the ADEN 25 project

…attempts were made to restart the program by the USMC in 2001 but studies concluded that the cost and integration of the ADEN25 to AV-8B aircraft would be expensive and impractical.

[source – Janes]

Consequently the RAF/Royal Navy Harrier GR7/GR9 fleet has no guns.

Having actually worked at RAF Wittering and Cottesmore with the Joint Harrier Force as recently as 4 months ago I can tell you there are still GR7/7As flying with the Aden Fairings and still do operate with the Cannons fitted when required.

The GR9 fleet can also fit the ADEN 30mm but due to the current air tasking requirement for the use of LGB’s they are replaced by 1 Strake and a TIALD Pod on the port pylon mount.  But regardless you aren’t likely to see the ADEN 30 much past 2009 anyway.  Most of the weapons are now reaching their maximum service life. With no new spares available it is expected the be removed from the RAF/RN inventory by 2008/9. [source – Harrier Story 2nd edition]

Getting back on topic

Ok, just a very quick constructive criticism list:

1) Cockpit layout is wrong and unrealistic – Proper Layout

2) Canopy frame isn’t bulged at the sides

3) General Proportions on the model are quite a bit out.

a. Intakes are too narrow compared to the length.

b. Rear Fuse is too thick

c. Nozzles are too small

d. Tail is too “squareâ€

e. Wings are too “squareâ€

4) Left wing Flaps and both pivot from the wrong place leaving a gap when lowered.

5) Aden 25 Cannon shouldn’t be loaded in your current config – you’ve modelled the fences/strakes not the gun pack.

6) Not sure which model A or A+ you are going for but the nose and tail need work.

7) Fuel Tanks are totally wrong for the AV-8B – it looks like you’ve tried to model the Harrier GR3/FRS1 tanks which were never used by the USMC.

8) Handling – its far too agile being able to turn on the spot is a nice trick but it’s a bit unrealistic

I’d suggest you take a look at Prime Portal I’m sure you’ll see what I mean.

smile_o.gif

Prime Portal[/url] I’m sure you’ll see what I mean.

smile_o.gif

I know exactly what you mean as I'm an armourer in my day job having worked on ADEN 30mm, 25mm, Mauser 27mm, M134 and many others over the years. I took part in ground firing trials of 25mm at BAe Dunsfold in 1996. As for the gun pods fitted to Harriers these days as you know they are empty and purely there for aerodynamic reasons due to the MoD in its "wisdom" not buying enough sets of under fuselage strakes for the fleet. Those pods in use are the original standard, the type being trialed prior to cancellation of the project were "pregnant" by comparison having had an ammo link collection feature added due the damage being caused to the underside of the aircraft by spent links. By that point in time bar a few minor details the 25mm ADEN was in a pretty good gun. In the end it was problems with the pod that really killed things, ammo feed, gas purging etc. Why an interim 30mm fit was not persued I'll never quite understand but there we go, all history now.

smile_o.gif

Hy,

compliments for Your great add-on.

Will it possible to have different contry-flag for your superb AV8b?

I would like to have it with Italian flag/insigna... inlove.gif

Thank You

Hi, for reference pics, this is a good site Airliners.net

there you can check some details of both planes and helicopters. Let's C ya

Well done so far, much better than the only other AV-8 released (sorry to that author). However as someone stated previously, this thing is a little twitchy when flying which is probably the biggest problem. Minor details dont bother me that much especially since you have stated its a beta release smile_o.gif One question will you make this ACES compatible so that we can add other weapons to the beast? Mavs and LGBs are useful but are a bit limited in what they can attack.

Good luck and keep up the great work smile_o.gif

Snoops_213

also thanks to:

j w and wipman for testing and tips..

Pssstt his name is JW. I would change that if I were you....

Nice work though, it's good to see an AV-8B in OFP. The textures could use a bit of improvement though, the color just doesn't look right yet. But still good work on this first release.

Quote[/b] ]Pssstt his name is JW

lol tounge2.gif

the textures are ok with me (although, a bit.. white)

but it's the model. it looks so fat

I’d suggest you take a look at Prime Portal I’m sure you’ll see what I mean.

smile_o.gif

FYI

My bro in law was squadron commander when that pic was taken at Al Asad.

Hi, seems that the AI machine gunners don't do target on both AV8B versions, also if you destroy the Strike variant, that "XXX Texture Not Found" message appears anyway; if you land with using the autopilot, it don't downs the landing gear; at least... on the Strike variant, but i think that also in the Attack variant too.

If you eject yourself on the ground with the planes stopped, afther open the canopy but without wait for the animation to be completed, then when you enter again in the plane... the range where the canopy was when you ejected yourself, becomes the max opening canopy range; and if you close it open it again it don't gets back to it's normal opening range. Also i think that the flares spawn too above the plane, i think that they should spawn under, the plane section between the wings and the tail section; but i can't ensure this.

4 BIS CAR-15 mags do a dammage of near the 60% or 65% to the plane, i think that it should stronger. Let's C ya

It may have some "kinks" but FINALLY we've got an AV-8B after about 3 yrs of false starts from various folks ...nice job finally bringing one to ofp biggrin_o.gif