Sign in to follow this  
kutya

GDCE released

Hi

I don't see the purpose of that. I've put JAM3 in, so you can freely exchange ammo between weapons and GDCE is meant for converting so I don't think it's really a difference between JAM3 and BIS units (except the JAM3 download smile_o.gif ).

But if people show interest, it isn't a big deal.

Well you can play the map with replacement mods like ECP, Y2K3 and FFUR ... i guess that is what he is about smile_o.gif

Okay, will do in the next release. Didn't think of that. I don't know much about replacement mods. Do they also replace the weapons? If not, you'll have to change the weapons loadout.

Playing around with colligpip's dyn SAS-Talib and I really like it smile_o.gif

I'm bugfixing his work and doing some changes. Hope soon this will be a stable version. It's basically done, just needs some polishing. In the beta version it's a bit tricky to get it started, but be assured it will work great in the final version.

I've (mostly) done my part in the SAS-Talib dynamic campaign. The changelog:

*** 1.01b

- set up DAC

- cleaned mission.sqm of unnecessary addon dependencies

- turned off supply plane option since no airport available

- removed flare option, since I presume today's SAS have NVGs

- expanded the mission time to night missions also (0:30 until 23:30)

- DAC markers were mixed with mission logics. Placed them on map edge

- hidden markers in defend convoy mission

- fixed a GDCE bug that in some MIA missions, the enemy wasn't spawned

- more needed addons: ukf_dpmtrppk1.rar (15mb), "UKF Sidearms.rar" (3mb), "UKF Weapons 2.0.rar" (14mb) and UKF_land_rovers_v1.0.rar (20mb) + Mapfact rucksack (needed by GDCE) - some of these addons were needed even before and the others were really needed to make this campaign, but every UKF fan should already have them

- replaced civilians with afghan people

- changed AA and mortar units to Afghan ones

- set value level to 1

- completely changed the base location and the mission locations also

- created a small (really basic) base around HQ

- set up DAC to gameplay mode (instead of debug)

- included "UKF Weapons 2.0.rar" and "UKF Sidearms.rar" so the weapon loadouts could be made decently.

- changed the artillery units to UKF Warrior (since didn't want to include another addon) - this can be changed if people prefer realism to smaller addon dependency

- changed the soldier types in the player squad definition array

- M21 is available since no UKF sniper (didn't included one, same as the previous reason)

- all (at least most) missions should now work correctly, since markers are put (I hope correctly)

todo:

- change the default mission pics with afghan ones

- implement at least 2 more phases to cover the whole island (or even more if we include CAT Afghanistan or else)

When this is done, I hope a full version will be released. No link, but I hope colligpip will release it soon.

Just some teasers of colligpip's upcoming dynamic SAS campaign. The content is from gameplay, but colors are tweaked a bit  whistle.gif

Ambush:

sas1.jpg

At the field camp:

sas2.jpg

Manual insertion on a night patrol:

sas3.jpg

A mission can't be described by screenshots unlike addons, but I just wanted to show you the feel of the campaign.

Updated the first post about the upcoming SAS conversion. The addon list is a bit long, but they are really needed, not just for fancy crap (some are needed by other addons included). I've done my part and hopefully colligpip will release it soon smile_o.gif

Do you mean in RL or in OFP? If for OFP could you send a link to it?

colligpip has released SAS in Afghanistan. It's a dynamic campaign based on GDCE featuring 3 phases on Afghan Everon. Playing with UK SAS forces against Talibans. Look at the first post for the DL link and the list of needed addons.

The thread about the campaign is here.

First of all hat's off to a wonderful piece of work.However,i have one suggestion.The campaign structure right now is perfectly suited for guerrilla warfare.I mean it's excellent for campaign types such as SF vs insurgents,but it isn't that realistic when it comes to more conventional warfare such as WW2.For me the best way to realistically simulate that type is to have an axis of advance and to randomly place markers along it,where whole groups of different enemy formations will try to defend that objective.You could also place some markers where your team along with the friendy ones will be rested and resupplied.The player should also have armor,artillery and air support exactly like in GDCE.All in all, i think that a campaign should represent the struggle of your unit in the general fighting taking place all over that axis of advance.I would have tried it but my scripting capabilities are nil.Anyway it would be great to have a campaign like this.

Hi verde

Quote[/b] ]it's excellent for campaign types such as SF vs insurgents,but it isn't that realistic when it comes to more conventional warfare such as WW2.For me the best way to realistically simulate that type is to have an axis of advance and to randomly place markers along it,where whole groups of different enemy formations will try to defend that objective.You could also place some markers where your team along with the friendy ones will be rested and resupplied.The player should also have armor,artillery and air support exactly like in GDCE.All in all, i think that a campaign should represent the struggle of your unit in the general fighting taking place all over that axis of advance.

I like your idea and I've been thinking about such thigs. Actually I've been playing Il-2 Sturmovik a lot and it has a very nice dynamic campaign generator called DCG by Lowengrin. I've started a thread at SimHQ about GDCE and said that I want GDCE to be some day what is DCG (Dynamic Campaign Generator) for Sturmovik, but didn't have much feedback probably since I don't like (and don't do) flashy promo stuff like for Hollywood movies. If you've played Il-2, you'll understand that the concept which you described is exactly the same that is implemented in DCG. It would be really nice to implement such things in OFP too, but IMO it would be a serious project. The dev should make a series of resupply networks and interest zones which would be used in missions. Also I don't have an idea how could be DAC implemented (except reinitialising it for every sub-mission) and if we (or I) couldn't implement DAC we would have to make new patrol scripts etc. I really like the idea but it would require much work. So until the Fronline Assembly is a one man team it is beyond scope. If people would join, it maybe could be achievable (hint wink_o.gif ). I won't forget this thumbs-up.gif .

~current GDCE: since the SAS dynamic campaign is out, new plans are a revision of GDCE with some tweaks and bugfixes people suggested. Maybe even new features. Also thinking about a winter themed campaign. The Tonal campaign stands, just waiting for Ebud's release. If someone has suggestions about winter units please send links to those. Currently I've got the Winter Pack 1.1. General suggestions also welcome!

Bye

@kutya

Great system!  Extremely well polished and executed.  I've been playing your VTE version.  Can't wait to try SAS.  Long live GDCE!!!  notworthy.gif

Considering the AMAZING potential for the future of your system, have you seriously considered making this MP?  If so, I have some thoughts.

Based on my experience, ideally it’s always best to build your system to be MP compatible from the beginning, or convert to MP as soon as possible.  Considering the infinite improvements and additions that are possible for GDCE (like new mission types and even fronts/resupply, etc; i.e. DCG for Il-2 Sturmovik stuff mentioned earlier), every new line of code added makes it that much more difficult to convert to MP.

In short, what I’m saying is if you ever want to make the GDCE multiplayer compatible, now is the time!   biggrin_o.gif

I’ve spent quite a bit of time looking through your code, and I’m fairly confident that I could eventually take what you have and make it MP.  Eventually is the key word… Due to RL time constraints (as most of us unfortunately have), single-handedly, it would take me a really, really long time.  wow_o.gif

Based on your last post, looks like you'd like to assemble a team.  If you are interested in converting GDCE to MP, I assume you’d probably want at least a few talented, dedicated folks to help take this on.

When one thinks about converting a long duration mission such as GDCE to multiplayer, several design decisions come to mind:

What happens to one player if he dies but his fellow players are still trying to complete the objective at hand?  One life only?  That seems a bit harsh considering the long durations we’re talking about.  Does he simply respawn are the base with the option to reinsert and rejoin his player buds?  Seems way too forgiving to me, considering the players could just whittle away at the enemy until objective complete.  As you attempt to find answers, the questions expand and multiply from there.  I’ve put considerable thought into this, and I’d love to share my ideas if you’re interested.  thumbs-up.gif

Also (again if you’re interested), my upcoming Group Linked Respawn system (with integrated death cam and return to play based on mission design) may be of use.  Its creation was inspired by GDCE, it’s precursors, and the DAC.  In reality however, although I’ve designed it to be quite versatile and portable, I’m really creating it for this very type of dynamic game play.

In any event, congrats on everything you’ve accomplished… GDCE is the future of OFP/ArmA!!!  How bout some dancin bannanas!

yay.gif  yay.gif  yay.gif

biggrin_o.gif

for MP i would suggest mapfact respawn.

the system is based on giving the players the ability to revive

each other when you are close enough.

you can tweak the amount of lifes, the revive ability to be medic only and a lot more.

it adds tremendously to atmosphere and teamplay!

(doing the last play tests tonight on the 4 wgl versions wink_o.gif )

Now these last couple of posts is really what I like smile_o.gif

Thanks MadRussian for you suggestions. If you read this and the older threads, you've probably noticed that I've been asking for people to help about the MP side of GDCE, but unfortunately nobody replied. Since I don't know anything about MP scripting, this side of GDCE was totally neglected. If you really want to help making GDCE better, PM me and we'll discuss what to do. I really need some people with MP experience. I was thinking about to relatively soon to release an updated version of GDCE (tweaks and bugfixes) and then to freeze development, so the MP component could be added.

MadRussian, could you describe more thoroughly your respawn system? Q mentioned the Mapfact one, so we'll have to choose the most appropriate one.

BTW the SAS conversion is out: look at the first post. Also there is a thread about the SAS conversion here.

Quote[/b] ]doing the last play tests tonight on the 4 wgl versions

Good to hear this! My WGL 5.1 is just waiting for those!

~GDCE: Q I understand you're busy with WGL development, but could you spare some time and help us make the MP component of GDCE? It seems that you have experience with it. And what you said about the Mapfact respawn it really seems that it would be a nice solution.

I'm an avid fan of IL-2 and i know exactly what you are talking about.I just wish we could have something similar for OFP sometime in the future.In any case you've done great work and i'm really enjoying it.

Quote[/b] ]I just wish we could have something similar for OFP sometime in the future.

Same on that, just can't do it myself. Even had thoughts about using fwatch and making a C++ or similar prog doing the campaign logistics calculations and implementing that data to the current mission (just like DCG smile_o.gif ). But as I said, it would be a big project, so maybe better wait for ArmA, since it surely wouldn't be finished until ArmA release.

GDCE is great stuff. After playing the demo mission all night, I had to dl SAS and it's many add-ons (worth it)  and it is truly riveting gameplay.

Question: Often times you will get a "mission complete/ time for extraction" message while there are still enemies present. In a defend the base mission, I was basically overun by enemies yet I got this message

If I extract, will those enemies still try to rush the base?

Does delaying extraction (killing more enemies) further lower the 'support score?

Quote[/b] ]GDCE is great stuff. After playing the demo mission all night, I had to dl SAS and it's many add-ons (worth it)  and it is truly riveting gameplay.

Thanks. Nice words are always good motivation smile_o.gif

There is also Vietnam Tour of Duty which is really long (9 phases), but the needed VTE is about 400MB.

Quote[/b] ]Question: Often times you will get a "mission complete/ time for extraction" message while there are still enemies present. In a defend the base mission, I was basically overun by enemies yet I got this message

This happens, because for the mission ending you have to achieve a certain bodycount (the ugly word for dead enemies). When it is reached the mission is a success, but there are enemies who were already spawned and they will still attack the base. After some delay, the enemies won't come (about a minute or so). This could be explained by some enemies didn't hear the cease of the attack. Not a good answer, but none better. Just had an idea about solving this in the next release.

Quote[/b] ]If I extract, will those enemies still try to rush the base?

Your extraction doesn't change anything. If the game told you the mission is a success, you don't have to worry. Extraction/insertion doesn't change anything, it just drops you/picks you up at the desired position.

Quote[/b] ]Does delaying extraction (killing more enemies) further lower the 'support score?

Yes. All GDCE generated enemy units killed will lower support and friendly will rise it. A little secret: DAC ones won't.

Kutya,

Glad to hear you all your enthusiasm!  I’m getting the impression BIG things are in the works.  biggrin_o.gif

Apology in advance for the big read:

First off, I am a HUGE fan of Mapfact and all their stuff, and I extend them the utmost respect.  Having said that, as far as the Mapfact respawn system goes, my understanding is that it has some limitations, though I’ve can’t confirm these personally as I haven’t tried it out.  Tacrod was apparently using it on Coin2, but had to pull it out.  The killer was that Mapfact respawn does not allow friendly AI units in your squad… it culls them all out upon initiation.

That’s not very flexible, IMO.  I would like to be able to play with any number of players (or by myself for that matter), and have the friendly AI filled in accordingly.  I’m also not a huge fan of reviving, as it’s not terribly realistic (although I understand you can probably turn it on and off).

So here’s a little more on my Group Linked Respawn system with (integrated death cam and return to play based on mission design), which I am nearing completion on.

Have you ever noticed that there is a “Side†respawn option in OFP?  Ever notice that it does not work (and instead works exactly like the “Group†option)?  smile_o.gif  My overall aim with this effort was to create a functional “Side†respawn.

My secondary aim was to avoid entirely any artificialness, such as the standard simple respawn (i.e. opps I died but look, I’ve been reborn!!! ), or the aforementioned revives (i.e. I was grievously wounded and incapacitated moments ago, but luckily a medic came by and stuck me with a syringe, now I'm good to go!!! ), etc.  icon_rolleyes.gif

If you’ve ever played the original Ghost Recon Coop in multiplayer, your pretty close to understanding the way my system works.  Each player leads a group of AI.  As the players are killed, they “respawn†into the bodies of remaining friendly AI units within their own group (similar to the “Group†respawn option).  However, when a player dies and there are no more AI units within his own group, he “respawns†into the bodies of another friendly player’s AI unit.  This continues until only the players remain.  At this point, the next time a player dies he enters a spectator mode.   goodnight.gif

This system works with units on foot and in any vehicle station (commander, driver, gunner, cargo), and priorities are in place that put the player, upon “respawnâ€, in the most optimal spot given the situation.  (i.e. Player died, replaces AI unit within his group, the gunner in the M1A1 nearby, but because loon was the only unit in the vehicle, put the player into the commander station, so he has access to the entire vehicle without disembarking and remounting, etc)

I’ve got all that working, and it works with multiple “respawn setsâ€.  So you can have, for example, a set of four West players (each a group leader of his own AI) that share respawns, and four independent East players (each a group leader of his own AI) that share respawns.

I’m nearing completion on the ability for players to “return to playâ€, in the form of “reinforcementsâ€.  The system will be able to handle any number of groups designated as “reinforcements†(well, until you hit the 63 group max per side that is).  tounge2.gif

The system will likely include options to easily turn on or off certain components as desired.  For example, if you love the reinforcements but don’t like any other respawns, just turn em off.  If you like the respawns within the group, but don’t want any of your friends stealing your loons, simply turn off group-linked sharing.  Also, if there is interest, I could potentially add in revive capability.

The system should not introduce any lag during play, due to measures I’ve taken.  For one, I’ve shifted as much of the load as possible to the clients to keep it off the server.  Load is actually something of a misnomer here, because I’ve avoided any ongoing looping scripts and instead made use of event handlers.  As a result, the code only runs when it absolutely needs to.  wink_o.gif

Applying this system should be a breeze, because I’ve designed it to be virtually plug and play, similar to DAC.  Simply drop in the “Group Linked Respawn†(GLR) folder, add a couple items to the mission in the editor, call the init function, and walah!  Then, whenever desired based upon mission design, call the reinforcements function to add a reinforcements group for a given “respawn setâ€.  Then the appropriate players who are in death cam can return to play.

I should emphasize that this system relies on each player being the leader of his respective group.  I actually consider this a feature, as you can split off and surround your enemy more effectively, instead of all the loons just following the single leader.

Anyhow, lemme know what you think.  I’ve actually taken a bit of a break from developing this, but any interest will only serve as spur me forward towards release.  In the mean time, I am super excited about the development of multiplayer GDCE!!!

yay.gif

-MadRussain