Sign in to follow this  
kutya

GDCE released

I am really interested in this. I have atempted to make dynamic missions before with a few tools. Most have ended in disaster or have become void due to small bugs or classnam changes. What I really need is a simple Dynamic temlate that can be adapted to any units with as little addons as possible. I have found that using DAC has major savegame problems and this can lead to loads of hasstle. How are the savegames on your system and is there scope to make a simple version that only manages enemy patrols and positions to make an occupying battalion sized force that won't cause lag or have annoying loading times?

here are some examples of what i try to achive with dynamic enemy forces using different tools.

Dynamic Rangers (this is made with old LSR stuff so may have some spawning problems due to class names, all it needs is the grenadiers names in the DAC changed to the new class name)

http://www.ofpec.com/index.p....27522.0

CWC re-telling (the battle for everon)

(same LSR issue)

http://www.ofpec.com/index.p....27636.0

AND My attempt at collating my own simple scripts to make a sort of dynamic enemy mission

Operation Overlord

http://www.ofpec.com/index.p....27713.0

Please have a look at these missions to see what I am trying to achieve in my missions... The DAC based ones will mostlikely crash or make tor FPS really low because of the class name compatability when LSR rangers were updated to version 3.0 if you know how to use DAC you just have to go into it and change my custom spwaning list in the appropriate files. I think it is the grenadiers that made the problem.

It would be of great joy to me and i hope a few other hardcore OFP fans if there was a simple to use and bug free (small) engine that managed patrols only. spwaning them and deleteing them so that we are given the impression of a larger force without the lag or extncive script editing.

Would it be possible to extract a small portion of your script inorder to release a simple patrol manager (addon free) that would allow us to add our own scripting and addons?

All i need for my missions is something that spawns a platoon in a sector and makes them patrol then deletes them when you leave the sector or they die. without the savegame issues or loading times of the DAC.

can you help me?

Regards

Kendo

hi,

I always hear that DAC have problems with "save game". What for problems is that exact?

This is to be due to the general problem of OFP, or is it because of the scripts?

bye

silola

ofp can only save a limited amount of global variables (and other things - dunno. just check whats in the continue.fps in OperationFlashpoint\users\YOURUSER\saved. you can open /convert the files with binview for example).

once this limited is surpassed ofp crashes while trying to load the savegame.

so everything which uses gvs adds to the limit of this problem.

things like mods, coc ua or dac make uses of a lot of gvs by themself, so if you combine them with a "heavy" mission or even more in combination, it will likely result in the so called "ofp savegame bug".

ecp pushed the limit a bit by a different method of storing things (i think some huge array to optimize the data usage more), inevitable there is the limit somewhere out there (means know one researched where the exact limit lies).

what Q said... alot of my missions crash when trying to load save games using DAC

hi,

that sounds itself however in such a way, as if DAC is responsible for a Crash icon_rolleyes.gif

But it is the whole of all Addons and scripts, which work with global variables. Correctly?

It is naturally simple to say… the problem develops by DAC sad_o.gif

@kutya:

Now you know the reason, why I made for you the suggestion with the Logic and the waypoints wink_o.gif

bye

silola

Greetings to everyone

Let's start in order:

@kendo J:

Quote[/b] ]I am really interested in this. I have atempted to make dynamic missions before with a few tools. Most have ended in disaster or have become void due to small bugs or classnam changes. What I really need is a simple Dynamic temlate that can be adapted to any units with as little addons as possible.

My opinion is that GDCE is exactly what you was looking for. All you need to change is a single file, which defines all units used. And of course the markers (in the editor) where the missions will take place.

Quote[/b] ]I have found that using DAC has major savegame problems and this can lead to loads of hasstle. How are the savegames on your system and is there scope to make a simple version that only manages enemy patrols and positions to make an occupying battalion sized force that won't cause lag or have annoying loading times?

As Silola and Q said, not only DAC has this problem, but every addon and mission that uses many global variables. GDCE actually uses many globals, but I managed to solve the problem by using Sinews of War saving, which is a very nice workaround for this. But if you're just converting GDCE, you don't have to think about it, just be aware not to save and load the regular way, but instead use only the load/save options at the tent in the mission. For loading start a new mission and when it initialises, go to the tent and select LOAD GAME.

Quote[/b] ]Please have a look at these missions to see what I am trying to achieve in my missions...

I'm really short on time, so I suggest you to convert those to GDCE. If you still want me to look at those, I'll do it, but you'll have to wait a while. Hope this is ok.

Quote[/b] ]The DAC based ones will mostlikely crash or make tor FPS really

You shouldn't make many DAC units, because FPS will surely drop. My workaround for this is to make multiple phases on the same island, so you have to cover a smaller area. Less units, more FPS smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]It would be of great joy to me and i hope a few other hardcore OFP fans if there was a simple to use and bug free (small) engine that managed patrols only. spwaning them and deleteing them so that we are given the impression of a larger force without the lag or extncive script editing.

I think currently DAC is most close to this. GDCE isn't about patrols. That's why I use DAC for. GDCE is a mission generator (and a really flexible one).

@Silola:

Quote[/b] ]that sounds itself however in such a way, as if DAC is responsible for a Crash

Surely not, if you ask me. I think most people who do globals heavy missions and later include DAC have the experience, that after including DAC it crashes, so it's a (IMHO) wrong conclusion that DAC creates the problem. But if you use the Sinews of War saving it is solved, altough DAC has to reinit at each load. Who doesn't like this, wait for ArmA and hope for a better save.

Quote[/b] ]Now you know the reason, why I made for you the suggestion with the Logic and the waypoints

You're right. But with SoW saving I'm satisfied with the current state. I'd do it, but I'm not so adept at scripting and GDCE works with the current technology.

Silola, I hope you release the new DAC soon, so we could all enjoy even better patrols smile_o.gif

Updated the first post about incoming campaigns. Didn't release any yet.

Wow...good news! campaigns with GDCE tounge2.gif

I'm ready for it when finished wink_o.gif

Best wishes

Imutep

@Kendo J

i strongly suggest you to start every mission with BI addons (except maybe for special units like arty).

BI standard is the level to test your missions performance / average FPS first !

after that you can exchange the units with addons.

personally i would maybe even go that far, just putting the player as unit on the map.

all other are createUnit'ed! (dont forget about mission.sqm's addon[] and addonAuto[] and to preload unit models by placing each unit your mission uses in some conner of the map in the water).

as like kutya here made very nice, you make one file which is a summary of all unit and weapon classes being used in your mission, as its FAR easier to replace the classes in such a single definition rather than to replace any unit on the map and class definitions over various files.

what you need to understand is that addons like LSR are having a serious impact on FPS.

so it depends where you want to go to:

~ high poly units

~ many units

~ scripts (constant loop stuff like AI scripts)

up to a certain point one can mix these. yet one needs to find the playable limit.

@Q: make sure you don't forget to change the GDC_VersionNS to "GDCWGL100" or something similar. The name doesn't really matter, but make sure it's distinctive from other names, and has a version info also (otherwise various versions of your conversion will collide).

About converting GDCE:

If you use plane resupplying, make sure that the airport near your base is usable by the AI. For example on SEB Ia Drang there are 3 airports, but only the SE airport is usable by the AI. If you spawn a plane at any other, it will try to take off from the SE airport. Not sure, but think I somewhere read that on every map, only one AI workable airport is allowed. So watch out for this.

well you could use choppers instead of a plane too i guess or?

It's better to set GDC_UseSupplyPlanes to false if you won't use planes for resupplying. This means that only heli's will be used. If you set a heli as the resupply plane, it will be spawned at the taxiway or at the airstrip (of course if you set GDC_hangar there.). But in any case you will have a resupply heli whether you set GDC_UseSupplyPlanes to true or false. With GDC_UseSupplyPlanes, you can disable just the plane option (intended for maps without working airstrips). And if you want more variety among resupply helicopters, this isn't the way to do it. Just add more classnames to the GDC_SupplyHeliN array. But there won't be anything wrong with your solution either.

stupid me banghead.gifbiggrin_o.gif

i shall finish the WGL converion by tomorrow pistols.gif

Glad to hear that (the conversion part smile_o.gif )

My VTD full will take some more time, 'cause I'm making it on multiple islands.

@Q: don't know how you're doing the WGL conversion, but I suggest making multiple phases even on a single island, since DAC could create much lag if you try to cover a whole island at once. But it's your conversion after all  wink_o.gif

The first full VTD release has arrived smile_o.gif

I hope people are still interested in this kind of gameplay. I'll also start a new thread about VTD since this is the full version, and I think it's a separate thing than GDCE, altough it's based on GDCE.

As always, feedback welcome.

Q said:

Quote[/b] ]i shall finish the WGL converion by tomorrow

?

Decided to keep it for yourself?

Don't know for others, but I'm interested in your work smile_o.gif My WGL5 is waiting for you wink_o.gif

nah dont worry icon_rolleyes.gif

its basically finished ... yet that thing called WGL 5.1 had prio here confused_o.gif

i am trying to get my bro to convert it to all/most islands of the island pack .. this might take still a few more days whistle.gif

its coming soon pistols.gif

Glad to hear that smile_o.gif I was just afraid you changed your mind about a release smile_o.gif

kutya, gdce is brilliant! notworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

i downloaded it a week ago and been playing around with it since.

And now ive got a selfmade, 3 phase campaign on afghan everon 2 with faceplant´s infantry + nothern alliance vs taliban.

never thought a total n00b like me could do that.

But with gdce and some patience (these **** weapon loadouts and classnames, arggghh...) it was not that big problem.

thanks again, especially for the good readme´s !

Always nice to hear such comments smile_o.gif

If you decide to share it with other people, please send a link.

PS good name smile_o.gif

Hm... releasing it in the current version wouldnt be a good idea, too many addons... whistle.gif

Maybe i´ll do a "light" version, faceplant 1.3, talibanpack -only

(if i get DAC to work the way I want it AND i "survive" the oktoberfest with a sufficient number of braincells ) biggrin_o.gif

but no1 on my priority list is DAC, i REALLY need some

more practice with that stuff.

Quote[/b] ]PS good name smile_o.gif

Hehe, it has been my nick since CS and i just got used to it biggrin_o.gif