Sign in to follow this  
kutya

GDCE released

Quote[/b] ]I am curiuos to see if this approach could also get rid of the bug with llauma heads that face textures dont load after a normal load of a save game.

This is one reason i think the new head models are a waste of time confused_o.gif  I have tried using them,i add this line init = "[_this select 0] exec ""\facestex2\basefaces.sqs"";  to the event handler in my own custom config. I alway's get screwed up face's after resuming saved games! I personaly can't see what all the fuss is with these new head's crazy_o.gif A lot of have stupid looking faces anyway! EDIT= forgot to say they also cause lag!

Quote[/b] ]sorry i didnt found the time today. hopefully tomorrow ...

No prob. Just send an error report if you find some (and if you've got the time) ASAP, because release is soon wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]This is one reason i think the new head models are a waste of time   I have tried using them,i add this line init = "[_this select 0] exec ""\facestex2\basefaces.sqs"";  to the event handler in my own custom config. I alway's get screwed up face's after resuming saved games!

I'm mostly neutral on that, but (posted in the DMA Lybia thread already) this campaign will keep the heads on reload. Actually won't keep 'em, instead new random ones will be initialised (depending on the addon). But no glitches! Both head types working correctly. You will see soon wink_o.gif . I could even set the original ones, but currently I'm having most important stuff to do.

I have played this a few hours the only bug i keep getting is somtimes I have no objective in the notepad thing after asking for a mission makes it hard to know where to go, only happened a few times otherwise all seems to work well.

Any chance of a few more vehicles for my actual squad to use perhaps a few choppers, or do i get some later on?

I'm mostly neutral on that, but (posted in the DMA Lybia thread already) this campaign will keep the heads on reload. Actually won't keep 'em, instead new random ones will be initialised (depending on the addon). But no glitches! Both head types working correctly. You will see soon wink_o.gif

Any chance you could tell me how you did it? Pretty please inlove.gif

Quote[/b] ]the only bug i keep getting is somtimes I have no objective in the notepad

Does it happen for all the missions or the Destroy Convoy only? For that mission it's fixed. You could try setting in globals.sqs:

from

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">GDC_AllowAmbConv = 1

to

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">GDC_AllowAmbConv = 2

This way you will always play the Ambush Convoy mission. If that's the bug you're talking about (the missing obj from the briefing), it's fixed. Just don't forget to set the var back to 1.

Quote[/b] ]Any chance of a few more vehicles for my actual squad to use perhaps a few choppers

It's in the Mission Editor's Guide. You can add more vehicles. Just add it in the editor, where you want it to appear, name it and add that name to the GDC_RespawnList array. It'll work exactly as the default respawnable vehicles. I put ground vehicles because I like infantry combat, but as I said earlier this could be converted to a pilot campaign also. But you would have to edit the missions too. Currently there's a limit of 40 respawnable vehicles, but it can be easily increased further (but longer the objects.sav cleaning process).

Quote[/b] ]or do i get some later on?

No. The respawnable vehicles are predefined in each phase of the campaign and are permanent until the next phase.

I'm mostly neutral on that, but (posted in the DMA Lybia thread already) this campaign will keep the heads on reload. Actually won't keep 'em, instead new random ones will be initialised (depending on the addon). But no glitches! Both head types working correctly. You will see soon wink_o.gif

Any chance you could tell me how you did it? Pretty please inlove.gif

All this has to do with the way of saving. GDCE won't support regular saving (from the menu and clicking resume from the menu). It will crash after a time if you use conventional saving. Instead it uses Sinews of War saving, which saves and loads stuff ingame (from scripts).

The difference is that this way, you always start a new mission, and when it starts, you (in the case of GDCE) go to the tent and select the LOAD GAME action. Now most things in the mission will be set to the condition when you last saved. This is actually a simulation of your old save game in a completely new mission. This is the reason for the heads are working (because I actually never load the old game in conventional sense).

You need to implement SoW saving in your mission if you want this feature. It's not hard once you get the concept (I wouldn't understand without tacrod's help), but if you want to save more complex data than integers, it can be tricky. My saving and loading scripts look like hell.

Quote[/b] ]the only bug i keep getting is somtimes I have no objective in the notepad

Does it happen for all the missions or the Destroy Convoy only? For that mission it's fixed.

I had it only on a very few occasions I will try to isolate which mission type it was tommorow.

quote]the only bug i keep getting is somtimes I have no objective in the notepad

Does it happen for all the missions or the Destroy Convoy only? For that mission it's fixed.

I had it only on a very few occasions not sure if it was the convoy mission I will try to isolate which mission type it was tommorow.

Sorry Kutya for late mirror, but i have a lot of work the last 2 weeks and no time for other things.

So, i'm afraid, that you've released your GDCE. I download it now and test it this weekend. wink_o.gif

Here is a new mirror from Ofp.4players

Here we go: gdce1001b / 589KB ZIP

Greetings

Imutep smile_o.gif

Glad to hear from you! Long time no see (read actually).

Will update the first post.

Completed the full release. I'm tired as hell, so no info, just the link in the first post. Info later.

Have fun

Bye

Thanks Imutep.

Started my first conversion.

First thought about Tonal, but will wait for Redeaux. Then VTE, but waiting for VTE 0.3. Then DMA Lybia, but honcho just made DMA Dynamic Lybia.

So I decided to do a WW2 campaign. I know most people are already sick of WW2, but I like it and I saw only one dynamic capaign for OFP which I couldn't make to work.

The island will be Anjou, since my opinion is that it's one of the most nice islands around for OFP. This conversion is somewhat problematic since no heli in WW2. I tried some insertions by truck, but it can be lost pretty easily, so the only solution is only insertion by yourself. This also means no medevac and extraction. Other things should be in (no NVGs smile_o.gif ) Or I could leave those options in, but they won't be stable. I hope when ArmA comes out, these issues will be history.

Oh, and first post updated about this.

Of course I found a serious bug, after the release...

In POW KIA and POW Radio missions, no enemy is spawned. This was done for debugging and forgot about it.

All you need to do is to uncomment the following line:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">;[ _numPatrols, 0, 0.7, _MisObjPos, 150 ] exec "spawns\S_Guard.sqs"

change to:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[ _numPatrols, 0, 0.7, _MisObjPos, 150 ] exec "spawns\S_Guard.sqs"

You need to change this in two files:

Mission\MIAKIA.sqs and

Mission\MIARadio.sqs

Don't forget to change in all three versions! West, East and the Demo (you need to DePBO it).

Won't do an update yet, waiting for more errors like this mad_o.gif

Sorry for the inconvenience.

excellent stuff biggrin_o.gif

short summary:

1st life - some ambush. easy. next job. dang. heli got hit by an aa.

load.

2nd life - some patrol. killed a few guys. got killed by one of the last enemey troops. damn.

load.

3rd. life - on the way to some mission. aa again.

load.

4th life. take out arty. way down in the south west. spotted the arty. killed two patrol groups. hm incoming enemy vehicles. t80 first. told my men to hold fire and hide for their own good. t80 retreat. shilka incoming directly to our pos. fire free. zuck. hit by my soldiers law biggrin_o.gif (playing high terrain detail)

it must have been some DAC gangs i made aware of my troops.

load.

5th life. again some ambush mission. just next to the base. easy job.

next one - rescue pilot. that DAC shilka didnt like me either wink_o.gif

load.

6h life. destroy enemey base. closed in. ordered airstrike. booombbb. that wasnt very nice. ... the M2static gunner made that clear to me.

pause for now smile_o.gif

good stuff mate!

especially i like to overall feeling with DAC patrols on both sides and the small firefights all around.

personally i dont like JAM much. some HD weapons make it really hard to aim. not bad for AI though. yet personally i prefere the WGL system a lot.

will start the WGL conversion now. i had a look at the global.sqs. easy job here. thanks mate !!!

best regards

Q

Thanks Q for your report smile_o.gif

It really means a lot to me that someone appreciates this.

~GDCE: I noticed you were most times killed by AA. Two reasons: the red area about the objective isn't for show anymore. It often really means a danger area. Some mission objectives have defense that can be also a Shilka. And the second reason is DAC. I like it that way, because this way you can define the strength of the enemy. I like campaigns where you don't have full air superiority, so you have to insert some times by ground (altough it takes much more time). If you have for example 4 phases on an island, I'd put many AA in the first, and almost none in the last phase, so you would have a sense of progress.

@Q: wait until you loose your radio, then the party really begins...

~JAM and WGL: I don't know much about WGL and don't know if there's a flare gun. If you don't have the JAM one and you want the flare option, you'll need JAM or you need to rework the order flares script. I think it's the only JAM dependency. GDCE is set up that the flare script only works with the JAM flaregun. Even for east side.

~Dynamic Normandy: a good and a bad news.

The good new is that I made the conversion and finished one phase. It works ok, BUT (bad news) the framerate is awful. At least on my comp with 900m viewdistance. I probably won't continue work on this, since obviously I won't be able to play this. So if someone's interested in playing this PM me, or even better finish the work. Not much left, just do a couple more phases. Not a big work but I'm lazy.

The problem is probably that if you combine a not so framerate friendly island with not so framerate firendly units, and add DAC, you surely won't have a framerate firendly mission.

Probably will return to Good Ole' VTE 0.2 since no 0.3.

Forgot:

My experience with converting GDCE says that you'll loose most time with finding classnames for units and mostly weapons especially if you're using badly documented addons.

The next most time consuming process is the placing of markers which IS actually the work you need to do to make a dynamic campaign. The other stuff is made in a couple of hours.

When you get into GDCE, you should be able to do a new phase (not campaign just another phase) in about an hour (when you did the units and weapons conversion). Really.

I was playing this earlier and lost my radio i started walking home, lucky a friendly heli was flying over and picked me up- its little things like this that make this mission top class.

Will start work on converting it to some of the iraq maps

might try najaf if the framerates not to bad.

smile_o.gif (a satisfied laugh)

I tried to make GDCE like what you said. In the beginning just an ordinary dynamic campaign. But play it for hours and be surprised. In general I like games where the game surprises you in a natural way and not by just changing the enemies from mad barbarians to poisonous giant spiders.

The najaf may be a tough one for the CPU. Maybe better CAT Afghanistan, altough there's already some afghan camps there by the DMA. If you don't include DAC, it may work fine (the Al Najaf map), but you'll loose a lot from the tension. The maps just feel empty without it. I worked hard to be able to use it. But after all it's your choice. That's why the Normandy is lagging too. When you combine complex things, don't expect high FPS.

a few notes from having a look at the interiors  smile_o.gif

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">if (debug): hint "debug: no strike plane gear up script defined"

i would add a gvar debug, which makes dis/-enabling these hints a lot more comfortable

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">GDC_StrikePlaneNS = "WGL_A10GBU"

it would be nice to be able to define in addition the kind of bomb your script uses.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">;SF insertion heli

GDC_SFHeliNS = "WGL_UH60MG"

;special forces support, unit names, first should be the officer (there is only one now, but you can add new units, like in other arrays)

;and you need at least 2 units in the array, because the 1st is the officer, and the other are the regular soldiers in the squad

GDC_SFSuppN = ["WGL_SoldierWRTL", "WGL_SoldierWRSpotter"]

hm didnt get that one. do i need to define each class, or does it multiply the second one in here?

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">;ground support vehicle

GDC_GSuppVehNS = "WGL_Vulcan"

what would be -really- cool for this kind of definitions, would be the use an array here.

the idea would be that the script randomly chooses one of the classes in there  wink_o.gif

same here

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">GDC_ConvProtN = [ [ "WGL_M113", "WGL_M2A1", "WGL_Vulcan", "WGL_HMMWVM2" ] , [ "WGL_M113", "WGL_M2A1", "WGL_Vulcan", "WGL_HMMWVM2" ]]

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">;heli carrying ground support (currently not implemented)

GDC_GSuppHeliNS = "WGL_CH47D"

is it or is it not ?

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">;the starting level of the player

hint "debug: start value set to 1000 for debugging purposes"

GDC_Value = 1000

is this supposed to be 0 or 1 at the beginning?

some stuff for the globals.sqs  smile_o.gif

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">\GDCEv100\@wg_sp_GDCE_west_v1.eden\radio\S_GroundSupp.sqs

GDC_parachute = "parachuteWest""WGL_ParachuteWest" camcreate [(_destPos select 0), (_destPos select 1), 200]

\GDCEv100\@wg_sp_GDCE_west_v1.eden\spawns\S_DefBase.sqs

GDC_M2Nest1 = "M2StaticMG""WGL_M2StaticMGW" createvehicle getpos GDC_airBase

\GDCEv100\@wg_sp_GDCE_west_v1.eden\spawns\S_MGNest.sqs

also are those supposed to be false?

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">;at start all support is disabled, since you're not on mission

GDC_UsedSF = true

GDC_UsedAirStrike = true

GDC_UsedGround = true

GDC_UsedAirSupp = true

GDC_UsedMortar = true

cheers mate. keep up  smile_o.gif

back to the battlefield now  pistols.gif

edit:

gets this missions posts over at OFPEC now biggrin_o.gif

a few more suggestions coming later today

Quote[/b] ]Code Sample  

if (debug): hint "debug: no strike plane gear up script defined"

i would add a gvar debug, which makes dis/-enabling these hints a lot more comfortable

Thought about this, but I was lazy to change it, because debug messages are all over the place. Will try to implement this.

Quote[/b] ]Code Sample  

GDC_StrikePlaneNS = "WGL_A10GBU"

it would be nice to be able to define in addition the kind of bomb your script uses.

Will do.

Quote[/b] ]GDC_SFSuppN = ["WGL_SoldierWRTL", "WGL_SoldierWRSpotter"]

hm didnt get that one. do i need to define each class, or does it multiply the second one in here?

The first is always the officer, and from the others, random ones will be selected (like in DAC), but probably I will separate the officer to another array like with other units. If you leave only one unit after the officer, the whole team will be filled with that unit. (ofcourse except the officer)

Quote[/b] ]Code Sample  

;ground support vehicle

GDC_GSuppVehNS = "WGL_Vulcan"

what would be -really- cool for this kind of definitions, would be the use an array here.

the idea would be that the script randomly chooses one of the classes in there  

Will do.

Quote[/b] ]same here

Code Sample  

GDC_ConvProtN = [ [ "WGL_M113", "WGL_M2A1", "WGL_Vulcan", "WGL_HMMWVM2" ] , [ "WGL_M113", "WGL_M2A1", "WGL_Vulcan", "WGL_HMMWVM2" ]]

I think you misunderstood this. This is just an array like all others. Here you define in a regular array the vehicles that will appear as protection in the convoy mission. The order of the vehicles in the mission doesn't concern you. When deciding a support vehicle it will chose a random one from this array. When chosing a convoy supply vehicle it will be chosen from the GDC_SupplyN array.

Quote[/b] ]Code Sample  

;heli carrying ground support (currently not implemented)

GDC_GSuppHeliNS = "WGL_CH47D"

is it or is it not ?

It isn't implemented, the ground support appears around you with a parachute.

Quote[/b] ]is this supposed to be 0 or 1 at the beginning?

It doesn't really matter. It's the starting level of the player, but I'd give him level 1 at start.

Quote[/b] ]some stuff for the globals.sqs  

Code Sample  

\GDCEv100\@wg_sp_GDCE_west_v1.eden\radio\S_GroundSupp.sqs

GDC_parachute = "parachuteWest""WGL_ParachuteWest" camcreate [(_destPos select 0), (_destPos select 1), 200]

I didn't understand the above part. If you meant explicit classnames, I didn't found it important to ask the user for, but can be converted. Probably will do.

Quote[/b] ]also are those supposed to be false?

Code Sample  

;at start all support is disabled, since you're not on mission

GDC_UsedSF = true

GDC_UsedAirStrike = true

GDC_UsedGround = true

GDC_UsedAirSupp = true

GDC_UsedMortar = true

It's ok this way, but it doesn't really matter since radio support options are restricted by other means.

Quote[/b] ]gets this missions posts over at OFPEC now  

Didn't understand this. Porting this thread to OFPEC? It's ok by me, but I didn't found it there. Or I misunderstood this?

Thanks for your support  thumbs-up.gif

Quote[/b] ]Code Sample  

if (debug): hint "debug: no strike plane gear up script defined"

---

Thought about this, but I was lazy to change it, because debug messages are all over the place. Will try to implement this.

i can do that for you. its an easy job with regular expressions. just send me your latest version and freeze your development for a few hours.  smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I think you misunderstood this. This is just an array like all others. Here you define in a regular array the vehicles that will appear as protection in the convoy mission. The order of the vehicles in the mission doesn't concern you. When deciding a support vehicle it will chose a random one from this array. When chosing a convoy supply vehicle it will be chosen from the GDC_SupplyN array.

nice  smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]some stuff for the globals.sqs  

Code Sample  

\GDCEv100\@wg_sp_GDCE_west_v1.eden\radio\S_GroundSupp.sqs

GDC_parachute = "parachuteWest" camcreate [(_destPos select 0), (_destPos select 1), 200]

GDC_M2Nest1 = "M2StaticMG" createvehicle getpos GDC_airBase

GDC_M2Nest1 = "M2StaticMG" createvehicle getpos GDC_airBase

by this i only wanted to point out that you have class definitions in these. so to make it complete you could exchange em with reference to global.sqs like with the others.

as a general thought here.

right now you have to use global variables for your referencing of classes.

maybe the stringtable would be a working replacement. i think it should work to port the same idea to a stringtable.csv.

you might wanna check MCAR engine for this. they made heavy use of it.

another overall thought.

one can outsource scripts (well "everything", sounds etc) to an addon, which makes the actual missions smaller.

the downside of this is that your scripts are now static and no map side editing possible by default.

yet i think there might be a possibility to make such kind of a system:

a) look for scriptA in the mission, if not found

b) look for scriptA in the given PBO

i think this should be doable with sqfs. ill try to ask an expert here.

ups sloppy me here...

get this missions posted over at OFPEC i tried to say  smile_o.gif

you know the general audiance for missions here in the BI forum is really low. over at OFPEC you should get a lot more feedback on this masterpiece  thumbs-up.gif

Ok.

I will try to do most of the things you suggested. Though, it will take time, since I want to convert GDCE to VTE 0.2. All in all I want to play what I made smile_o.gif

And in a couple of minutes, I'll start a thread about GDCE on OFPEC.

I think I have an even better idea for outsourcing. In all references I'll change the pics and DAC references to "..\pics..." instead of the old "pics\..." so if you make a multi-phase campaign, you'll have only one instance of the pics and DAC folder thus decreasing the size of one phase from 1296k to only 524k! I think it is a large decrease, with the same flexibility. Of course you will still need one instance of the mission pics and DAC.