Sign in to follow this  
Ironsight

Sino-Soviet border conflict

From Wikipedia:

Quote[/b] ]The Sino-Soviet border conflict of 1969 was a series of armed clashes between the Soviet Union and People's Republic of China, occurring at the height of the Sino-Soviet split of the 1960s. An island in the Ussuri River, called Zhenbao Island almost led the Soviet Union and People's Republic of China to war in 1969.
Quote[/b] ]Zhenbao Island is a small island of 0.74 kmË› in the Ussuri River on the border between Russia and the People's Republic of China. It was the subject of a territorial dispute between the Soviet Union and the PRC. On May 19, 1991, the two sides came to agreement that the island belongs to the PRC.

Battles with considerable loss of life were fought by the Soviet Union and the PRC over this island during the Sino-Soviet border conflict of 1969. In total, the Soviet forces claimed that the Chinese suffered 800 casualties while the Soviets only had 60 killed or wounded; the Chinese claim to have suffered only a few casualties, far less than Soviet losses. At the time, there were almost one and a half million troops deployed along the border.

More information on Damanski-zhenbao.ru

Now would this be a good idea for a mini-mod? I'd like to hear your opinions.

Well at least it would be a nice idea... Not those boring Russia vs Usa conflicts...or usa vs rest of the world. icon_rolleyes.gif

So i would say this is an awesome idea. If u got the motivation to do it... ;-)

If u got the motivation to do it... ;-)

I have the motivation but not the time right now unfortunately. Would love to see this mini-mod become reality and would love to help out with this but I can't do it on my own.

conflict aside,

any ideas for equipment etc? u cpuld cut down on weapons etc by coding units to use ICP_RFWP which quite a few people have its also JAM compat if u'd require it great idea though as has been said before it takes away the focus from USA vs everyone thing wink_o.gif

regards helping_hand.

List of required addons rougly based on what's used in the conflict:

Soviet side:

Soldiers

Vehicles

- T-62 tank

- BTR-60 APC

- GAZ-69 truck

- BM-21 Grad (scripted only)

Weapons

Chinese side:

Soldiers

Vehicles

- Type 59 tank

- B-10 recoiless rifle

- All kind of howitzers (scripted only)

Weapons

Optional for both sides would be the Mi-4 helicopter. And off course ski's for both sides a la FDF mod.

And off course it would need a new island which shouldn't be hard as the island is only 1 square kilometer. Some new buildings and trees. Island would be made in both summer and winter versions.

a hound could be made quite easilly it looks a bit like a whirlwind / wessex and it just so happens i have some fecking big pics of it from when i went to the helicopter museum if u need em pm me i also got massive pics of the Mi1, and Mi2 rest of the equipment isnt to complicated the btr may be a problem but the tanks can be edited from the BIS t55 crazy_o.gif recoiless rifle hmm we need more of those keep it up dude

Vehicles shouldn't be a problem:

- T-62 tank -> I know someone who is working on a superb one, even had the chance to try it out ingame.

- BTR-60 APC -> FDF

- GAZ-69 truck -> Marfy

- Type 59 tank -> RHS

- B-10 recoiless rifle -> Selfmade, few minutes work

- Mi-4 Hound -> new one needs to be made, not a priority

Soldiers would be the easiest part. Could have them done in a few hours.

The island would be a bit more problematic. I have been looking on google earth and unfortunately the images are very unsharp. The problem is also that the images were taken during winter time and during the winter the Ussuri is frozen so it's hard to see where the coastline is. If anyone got better maps, feel free to post them over here.

I voted bad idea...I'd like to see some of your other projects finished FIRST but thas just me... wink_o.gif

Never said I am going to work on this project. Just laying a foundation so that hopefully someone will pick up on this as it's a very interesting theatre.

lol whistle.gif i want my Mi4 but i cant mae one with college growing very bloody near *cries*

Exactly. Having college from 9 to 18 really limits my OFP time. Beside that there's homework, projects and other social student activities.

Looks like a good idea for the scale of conflict and availability of current addons.  smile_o.gif

For the map you could try ordering a DEM off Mapmart and whacking it in wrptool.

For complement the weapons and more vehicles I sugest this:

for china:

Gaz67 (i found this link: http://kbsh.narod.ru/flashpoint.html)

Btr-152, from vilas Pack

And the Il-28, Mig 17 (and Maybe he Mig 19 from VTE mod?) of footmunch.

Li-2 transport plane

and light tank like;

pt-76 (or the chinese copy of type 60)

type 62 (scaled down of the t54, I've scaled down one model with O2 light with the mesure 0.75 for personal use)

type 63 I (a Pt-76 light tank with the turret of type 62 I 85mm gun )

AA weapons:

Zpu 4

37mm AA gun, from the SAM mod.

URSS

brm-1 and brm-2 (now many models).

Zpu 4

23mm AA gun

37mm AA gun

Zu-23

zsu57 (form FDF)

Pt-76 light tank

Mig-17, Mig-21, IL-28, Antonov 12 and MIl-8 Hip (but waiting the MIl-4 from many and many years)

The initial idea is a mini-mod based on the war over Zhenbao-Daminski island. So no large ORBAT's. Just keep it simple for the initial release.

as far as the soviet troops are concerned, perhaps hou can use the libmod troops? soviet soldiers in the '60s were still wearing the m43 uniforms..just replace the nagant pouch with a ak or sks pouch.. most of the other gear is the same.

as far as the soviet troops are concerned, perhaps hou can use the libmod troops? soviet soldiers in the '60s were still wearing the m43 uniforms..just replace the nagant pouch with a ak or sks pouch.. most of the other gear is the same.

Keeping with that same idea, won't OFPCAT's infantry addon work? Just a thought... whistle.gif

OFPCAT's units are afghan war units right? I dont recall, but if so they should be wearing either M69 uniforms or the 6- pocket M81 uniform (alot of afghan pics show soviet troops wearing a mixture of both). I dont know much about the specifics of the sino soviet border war, but i am going to assume that with the best soviet units stationed in europe, the soviet units involved would be secondary troops and border guards, and probably not equiped with the latest gear. M43 uniforms would be the most correct. If the libmod units are used  they would need the shoulder boards changed to post-war insignia..but thats about it.

m43 :

1941_uni_m43field.jpg

m69:

69_uni_m68field.jpg

m81:

563.jpg

i am looking forward to seeing some of the Chinese troops. I would recommend the green Mao-style uniform and cap. small arms would most likely be the type 56(sks), type 50(ppsh), type 68(vilas mod has one),or type 56(AK)