Sign in to follow this  
zerg63

Czech. PzKpfw 38(t)

nice model, you seem to handle the soft/sharp edges properly which is not always the case with a lot of modelers (maybe you're not so new at this ?), so nice one there

about the mapping, your wheels are off centre, what i usually do is map one properly by creating a square face (to be used as texture holder) centred on the wheel (select the wheel and press c so the pin is on the centre of the wheel, then press shift+C so o2 uses the pin as centre to create the new square face... and the square face is of course the size of the diameter of the wheel... (to find the diameter, open vertex properties on the top and bottom vertex, and do Y of top minus Y of bottom vertex)

then use a square texture for the wheel, i reckon 256x256 works best for most wheels (they're always about 1meter in diameter, and 256 pixels gives good details without being too highres or too pixelized... well for wheels anyway)

then while your pin is still centred on the wheel, use the gizmo tool to map the edge (there's some tutorial on this forum if u search for it)

one good thing to plan ahead at this stage is lods. usually to do lods for wheel people use a flat face with a texture using an alpha channel to make it round, and the edges faces are still there but using less sides per "cylinder" (by cylinder i mean the main edge of the wheel if u get what i mean)

so this square face using an alpha texture is basically the square face you used to map the wheel in the first lod, except use a texture with an alpha on it, i usualy use a resized version of the wheel to 128x128 or less with an nice round one bit alpha channel (one bit being either black or white, if you use grey you will get semi transparency which causes the well known "alpha channel bug" - basically that crappy white aura around alpha channel textures)

then just copy/paste that mapped wheel to create the others... and you can swap the textures path in face properties if you dont want all of them to use the same textures...)

then if you're anal like me about not using 1000 textures, you can use a merge textures script to put that 256x256 wheel texture into the main hull/turret texture (thats what i do as using one big texture instead of several small ones dramatically improves performances). there is also a tutorial about merge texture script on this forum... however, do not merge the alpha channel texture with the big main texture, or else the entire tank will use an alpha texture (even if the alpha is opaque, alpha textures lag a lot more than regular textures - and have less colours too)

well i dont know if you already knew all this stuff but if you didnt i hope that helps

good luck

Fab.

PS : here's a pic to go with the text :

wheel_mapping.jpg

Looks like a very nice model, and it could be the basis of many more armored vehicles wink_o.gif I look forward to seeing more.

Good work, also do you have technics errors...

this is my LT-38:LT38 by that time one texture..I have in house copies cca 5 plans of LT-38..and this typ is "C".... but good work. wink_o.gif

you shouldn't use real pics for it.

I'm sure he won't, it says "Mapping test" wink_o.gif

good job zerg, you're a great addonmaker