Sign in to follow this  
Kendo J

What will you do?

Ok so there is loads of speculation, and loads of info comming out about AA. However, when it comes out and we all buy it and after we have watched that ever anticipated installing process bar reach 100% what will you do?

What I mean is how many of you will play the campaign or go straight into the mission editor?

I remember back in my university days when I stayed up till silly o'clock in the morning with my mate taking turns after each death to try and complete the campaign and then spending years of my life fiddiling with editing, then scripting only to produce a handfull of bug free playable beta and even less final missions.

I don't know whether I will be able to hold myself back from opening the editor immediately. Furthermore, will AA be frustrating because we have waited 5 years to get OFP up to the standard it is with such memorable addons as CoC UA. Lasers delta rangers. Project-UKF. Invasion 1944 and Cat afgan.... to name but a few.

I have a feeling that AA will frustrate me as I would love to use it's potential to make a dynamic style campaign (in one mission) that covers entire the island just as my absolute favorite missions (personal and other peoples) are in OFP.

So I ask you all this what will you do when that installation process bar reaches 100%?

Regards

Kendo

In OFP there was the desert island, i dont know if they'll have a similar map to that but I intend to find a big open space and drop as many units as possilbe in it and sit on a hill to watch the fireworks biggrin_o.gif

In OFP there was the desert island, i dont know if they'll have a similar map to that but I intend to find a big open space and drop as many units as possilbe in it and sit on a hill to watch the fireworks biggrin_o.gif
Quote[/b] ]I saw 2 islands in the menu for the editor, and it was confirmed that there will be Sahrani, and a smaller version of Sahrani with very few objects - like the Desert Island in OFP.

Taken from ofp.info

So I guess, you will be able to check the maximum amount of units smile_o.gif

@topic

I'll jump into the editor , get me a nice toyota and check out the 400kmË› , I don't care how long i'll need to find every single spot

El_MUERkO, that sounds like almost every thing I did in the mission editor in the first year OFP... good idea I forgot about doing that!

Plus I must have wasted hour upon hour of timing how long it took a guy to run from town A to town B to work out how long you have to wait before, an attack, reinforcements, convoy, defence etc... starts....

Now this sort of stuff is ingrained in my brain... I don't wanna have to sit through that for AA. But ofcourse the first thing to do is to place loads of units facing loads of units and see what happens!

How pissed off would I be if the commands for giving a civilian a rifle or making a unit captive were different. 5 years of reading Comref means i can type, "Removeallweapons this; this addmagazine "m21"; this addweapon "M21"" in my sleep....

Most likely go threw the menu screen after it is loaded. Then threw the editor to see what is available for both sides.

As El Muerko stated, drop a bunch on the island and see how the game looks.

Then check the MP and get that configured to play.

last will be starting the SP because I know once I start I will be sucked in until it's over.

Then start hunting for how I am getting my island into the game..

ofpdeadeye, ooo driving! that too.... I will be in the editor driving about! I loved seeing how high you could jump an abrams off an undulation in the ground after getting up to speed off the highest mountain.... I remember when Res island Nogova came out, how many times i marveled at the tallest mountains and drove my tanks off of them for kicks....

lilwillie, good point about the campaign... once i start I am sure I won't sleep untill I finnish!

Kendo

Im going to buy 2 copiyes and Frame one on my wall biggrin_o.gif

going straight to the campaign. dont wanna spoil the areas, vehicles, units etc etc in the mission editor.. i wanna feel like.. wow, when i see something cool in the campaign smile_o.gif

The campaign first, i hope to get that flashpoint feeling back where you see a huge terrain and youve no idea where you are/supposed to go and just follow your squad biggrin_o.gif

I'll play the campaign first, I want to play the game and only when I've grown bored of the campaign missions will I open the editor.

I must admit whilst I loved messing with my own missions in the editor, I never really found any of them completely satisfying. I fyou create your own missions you know what you are likely to encounter, when and how. There are no suprises, no suspense and even the need for careful planning and tactics is diminished when you now exactly where everything is going to be.

I will begin my quest for building interiors, whenever i find one ill try to blow it up. banghead.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

The first day I'll just play the campaign. Mayb try out the new editor a bit too inlove.gif

The campaign first, i hope to get that flashpoint feeling back where you see a huge terrain and youve no idea where you are/supposed to go and just follow your squad biggrin_o.gif

You make a valid point. Even tho I am sure (just like with OFP) that some user missions (even some of my own, modest eh?) will far outstrip the original missions interms of realism, scale and effects when you play the campaign for the first time, you will be shitting your pants because we will leave OFP behind as Generals but enter AA as rookie privates and that is a feeling I too crave.

Kendo

First of all I'll load up the editor (I'm glad there'll be a small desert island  thumbs-up.gif  ) Then I'll play as each unit, fire weapons look at the models, etc.

2. Still in the editor, I'll load up Sarinhi, put myself as an officer, select an AI grunt and an empty car / humvee. Then get him into the car as a driver and myself as a passenger and select a point on Sarinhi and get him to chauffeur me around so I can see the sights.

3. Do the same as above but with a helicopter and then a plane.

No no no, i am looking into it from .. my PC perspective:

1. Wait till the Arma available online order, i have no time to wait till game appear in some Lithuania store shelf.

2. When arma online, order it and at the same day run to my friends PC shop with 1500EUR (wich i was hiding in house in secret place in WC whistle.gif ) and get new Intel 2 Duo CPU, new mainboard with Sli compability, 2 gig ram, new sony 19 LCD, new video card, new keyborad, new mouse and of course ....... order online good Headphones with mic. Achhhhh

3. Install and test hardware, maybe even add watercooling (i am too old for that, but what can you do for arma)

and wait wait till online order appear in you post box ...

4. Install arma, go to options find out everything make sure of every damn key, every damn option.

5. Of course, first things first, i want to enjoy every second of arma singleplayer so i adjust my game to perfect using Mission Editor. a) test all the vehicles in mission editor (just put buch of them em use one by one).b) test all video options for lag and other malfunctions .. adjust test adjust test. ...

6. Play single mission till you die

in your flat near pc or till you finish the campain.

8...... wait for crCTI for Arma ...

Enjoy, but remember, it is only a game .. there is real life going on outside... xmas_o.gif

Jeez, If only I had saved my money like you Mr AG... I am sure i will still be using my 2.5 ghz (only recently got) it will be between the minimum 2 ghz and recomended 3 ghz.... but I was playing OFP mission making and scripting on a P3 733 for 3 years... So i think i will just have to deal with any lag....

BTW just watched the trailer http://www.gametrailers.com/

and i have to turn off this bloddy machine 'cos the last few months of waiting for AA to come out is defenatly the hardest....

Regards

Kendo

p.s. I remeber when they gave the first release date for OFP 2... man that was along time ago....

p.p.s. To the BIS gods, I pray you get AA out before Xmas 'cos my poor Girlfreind will never hear the end of it and she needs a new computer game to complain about as those unmistakeable words of "Are you on that bloody flashpoint again!?!?" are starting to piss off our new neigbours....

one more thing.... I think we will never know untill zero hour.... BUT i do know one thing for sure I will loose my tan as I will be indoors sitting at my PC for most of the day

For Christ sake Kendo, you had 1 year to save some bucks for the PC! We knew what arma would like year ago, and of course we knew that it will be system demanding. icon_rolleyes.gif

But dont think that we are all millionaires here ...

My car will leave with old winter tyres, new TV will have to wait (i still have Sony 1 Ton Trinitron crazy_o.gif ).

But the best part is my girlfriend is away for half a year biggrin_o.gif

first thing I will do when I boot up arma is... invert the mouse Y axis...

I will setup a dedicated server and i will full it of units.

After that performance test i will look at the new features and their bugs & exploits. Then i will come complain on the forum.

nener.gif

Like said before, playing campaign and running near my leader crying "wooow it's soo big I'm lost here!" crazy_o.gif

Then once 3-4 missions (or ~2-3 hours) done, I try editor.

I LOVE new games wink_o.gif

I will buy me a new computer (top of the line SLI, 2 gig ram and more..) and trackIR4.

When I have my computer up and running I will install ArmA.

I will play the campaign and explore the game through that. Hopefully get the same feeling from my first time on Everon back in the 1985...  wink_o.gif  That lovely feeling of having no clue where you are and where the truck is taking you, all you can do is look at the landskape passing by from the opening in the back (my favorite place are back by the hatch, as it also is in real life).

IF there is a SP-mission named "Steal the car" I will play that before the campaign   biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]When AA comes out what will you do 1st?

Buy it and then lock myself in my room for at least 72 hours... tounge2.gif

Load the Game, then Lock n Load Baby!!!! tounge2.gif Probably play the single player missions to get the feel for the game again or maybe just jump into a server, dunno. But Massive multiplayer is where its at so ill be there. Also depends if my clan ends up Hosting a server or not but if so will be supporting our server if so.

Scouts Out!!! See ya on the battlefield.

First of all I'll load up the editor (I'm glad there'll be a small desert island thumbs-up.gif ) Then I'll play as each unit, fire weapons look at the models, etc.

2. Still in the editor, I'll load up Sarinhi, put myself as an officer, select an AI grunt and an empty car / humvee. Then get him into the car as a driver and myself as a passenger and select a point on Sarinhi and get him to chauffeur me around so I can see the sights.

3. Do the same as above but with a helicopter and then a plane.

Im gonna do the same thing, but im not gonna go into the north, it gonna be like when Will is on leave!

Quote[/b] ]Buy it and then lock myself in my room for at least 72 hours... tounge2.gif

Thats for sure!