Sign in to follow this  
AntipopAU

Optimal Settings...

Hey All,

I just recently purchased a new system, but I have had the settings at medium, and still I am only getting 20-30FPS... (75FPS on Desert Island) - But... What do you guys think would be the best Settings to get the best possible FPS and best graphics. (Including DXDLL)

PC;

AMD Athlon 64bit 3500+ @ 2.2Ghz

1GB Corsair DDR400 XMS Ultra PerFormance Ram

ABIT NF-95 Motherboard

XFX 7800GT 256MB

Samsung 17" LCD 8ms

Thanks.

Postprocessing effect uses CPU most, not GFX card. You should reduce postprocessing effect in DXDLL configuration.

Anyway its very weird crazy_o.gif I wonder if I have your PC wink_o.gif

20-30 fps is good for ofp wink_o.gif, i'd been playing with 5-15 for years...

anyway, getting good graphics in the game is a matter of trading distance for detail; there is no terrain lod'ing, so as you increase the viewdistance the number of polygons that have to be drawn for the terrain goes up dramatically, especially if you have your terrain detail set to a higher level; i would recommend setting the terrain detail to "normal" or "low".

also, consider messing around with the top bars in the video options menu that determine the distance at which lower lods for units kick in (i forgot what they're called).  finally, realize that some of the higher quality addons/mods released these days (Laser's units and FFUR, for example) are very high poly and so will tax even the most powerful PCs, especially if used en masse.

good luck!

OFP is a bitch when it comes to configure the settings and your graphics card driver.

Tested yesterday with everything set to performance in the gfx driver, got 19fps in one of the larger cities of Novajev island.

Then I set everything to Uber-Quality(8xAA, 16AF, etc.) and I got 30fps at the same place... huh.gif

MfG Lee

I hope ArmA is a little more... something (not sure what) crazy_o.gif . I have a fairly average system, 2.8 P4/512mb/9600XT, and my OFP generally runs like shit. On any given mission with DXDLL (no FX just FPS counter) I never get more than 18fps-ish, apparently regardless of drivers or OFP settings. shits me to tears really. mad_o.gif

edit: No AA/AF, 1000m VD, 1024x768.

I hope ArmA is a little more... something (not sure what) crazy_o.gif . I have a fairly average system, 2.8 P4/512mb/9600XT, and my OFP generally runs like shit. On any given mission with DXDLL (no FX just FPS counter) I never get more than 18fps-ish, apparently regardless of drivers or OFP settings. shits me to tears really. mad_o.gif

edit: No AA/AF, 1000m VD, 1024x768.

You should notice smoother gameplay on big islands (like Nogova) if you add an extra 512 mb of ram capt. smile_o.gif .

When people mention very low fps despite having lots of ghz and ram and powerfull CG , what addons are they using ?

-Some addons (and sometime missions or mods) scripts are not very optimised and will put any computers on their knees with sometime very very very low timed loops and cpu intensive checks.

-some addons have their models not optimised : featuring only 1 lod with thousand of polygons in it, some features lots of high res textures while the same effect could be done with fewer amount of textures of the same resolution to free a lot more of graphic card memory, some model features unoptimised parts (do you need an antenna with hundred of faces ? do you need a soldier vest to feature every lacets entirely -modeled- adding tons of not needed faces when you know OFP engine is not very high poly models friendly ? ...etc)

-the amount of the addons you load in memory will play a good part too, basically, the less is loaded the better for your OFP performance, that's why it is strongly recommended to use mod folders instead of using only the original Addons\ or res\AddOns\ folders

The system specs are not the only responsible of OFP running with low performance , addons can play a huge role at making your OFP experience "laggy" if they are not optimised or if you manage them badly.

...along the OFP settings like the terrain combined with view distance that can destroy your framerate easily if pushed both too high

OMG... OFP has to work on 128 MB machines... I have 512 MB & 1.5 GHz Athlon XP & GF2MX400.

Why some addonmakers use .paa almost everywhere? For example 1965 pickup - 2048x2048 .paa intransparent texture. My MX400 has bad working Z(W)-Buffer and four burning pickups make slideshow on Desert island.

Guest Ti0n3r

@zGuba

Ever considered getting a new card for OFP? help.gif (You should be able to find a decent Dx9 card for less than $100 hehe). help.gif

I dunno how you can survive with a card like that sad_o.gif

Also had a GeForce 2 MX/MM (or alike)

I fried it with OFP tounge2.gif

@zGuba

Ever considered getting a new card for OFP? help.gif (You should be able to find a decent Dx9 card for less than $100 hehe). help.gif

I dunno how you can survive with a card like that sad_o.gif

I had to buy something worth maximum 20$...

I'll buy Radeon 9800SE (256 bit version of course) All-In-Wonder.