Sign in to follow this  
stingfish74

ECP question.ECP thread is locked,  posted here

hi,

been playing ofp for a year now and love it.

i am using ECP>latest version

now...

i am confused on the editing settings.

here are my quesitons <and yes, i did search before posting and even tried some stuff to w/out success> please be patient w/me.

1. in the ecp setting, i want to see more crew units burn. how do i do this?

example of confusion. i see in the setting

// fire (ECP_lod_fir_x) - Note, this LOD also now caters for burning men.

//ECP_local set [10, 1 ];

what exactly do i edit. everything in here looks commented out (example "//")

please tell me where do i edit, what do i edit and what with? to make more possibility of burning crew.

Also, i want enemy AI to surrender easily. can i do this in the ECP config?

many thanks!

To change settings for ECP, use any text editor (such as Notepad) and open @ECP\Settings.sqf. That file is a text file.

1. I want to see more crew units burn. How do I do this?

Open ECP_Settings.sqf and go to line 604. If your editor doesn't allow you to go to a specific line, search for the word "expeff_burning_smoking_men". You'll see a section that looks like this:

Quote[/b] ]// ECP_expeff_burning_smoking_men_chance

// Burning men chance per vehicle

// Default = 50%

// set by server in MP

<span style='color:red'>//ECP_public set [59, 0.5 ];</span>

I have marked in red the line you need to edit. First of all, you need to remove the two forward slashes that comment out that line (the "//"). Then, change the number 0.5 to a higher value to increase the chance of men burning.

As you can see, the default chance is 50% and therefore the value is 0.5. As an example, if you want to make it a 85% chance of them burning, it would end up looking like this:

Quote[/b] ]// ECP_expeff_burning_smoking_men_chance

// Burning men chance per vehicle

// Default = 50%

// set by server in MP

<span style='color:green'>ECP_public set [59, 0.85 ];</span>

2. I want enemy AI to surrender easily. How do I do this?

The chance of AI surrendering is set in a similar way near line 1508. Near that line you should find this:

Quote[/b] ]// ECP_AI_surrender_chance

// The chance any fleeing unit will surrender

// Default is 0.5 (50% chance)

// defined by server in MP

//ECP_public set [65, 0.5 ];

By now, you should know how and what you need to do to change the probability for AI to surrender from 50% to something higher, right? wink_o.gif

How does one get the ECP grenade explosion FX to work on other units? I read the PDF readme and added the lines it said, but if there are eventhandlers for setface, the grenades dont look like the ECP effects like i want?

it's people like killswitch that make the difference between this game vrs others. a community always patient and willing to help.

THANK YOU! b/c of your great example, I now understand.

i owe u a digital beer, you are the best.

thanks M8!

How does one get the ECP grenade explosion FX to work on other units? I read the PDF readme and added the lines it said, but if there are eventhandlers for setface, the grenades dont look like the ECP effects like i want?

You and I are in the same boat. Changeing class "Eventhandlers" to class "EventHandlers : ECP_EventHandlers" doesn't seem to work within a unit replacement config. Neither do the various "_this call..."'s.

I'm guessing your units with the non ecp-grenades also don't talk to each other. wink_o.gif

I'm trying to integrate the Faceplant units into my ECP config. I did a thorough, clean line by line replacement, removed his config.cpp from the pbo and everything works fine (nv goggles included), except the units are not "ecp units". They behave as if they where in a non ecp config. crazy_o.gif No timed grenades, no talking, etc.

im pretty new @ this game, but i use this in the mission editor to get ecp to work w/ non ecp addons.

NOTE: not sure if this is a solution to meet your needs tho.

Q: How do I make non-compatible addons work with the ECP? (05/01/04)

A: You either have to modify the addon's config.cpp file (as specified in Making ECP Compatible Addons), or edit each mission and place in the following trigger:

- Size: 50000 x 50000 (as big as the entire map)

- Activation: Anybody (Once) when 'Present'

- Condition: this

- On Activation: thislist call (ECP_resources select 30)

Note that you'll need at least one default BIS unit on the map (e.g. a unit of type WEST: Men) in order for the ECP to initialise.

im pretty new @ this game, but i use this in the mission editor to get ecp to work w/ non ecp addons.

NOTE: not sure if this is a solution to meet your needs tho.

Q: How do I make non-compatible addons work with the ECP? (05/01/04)

A: You either have to modify the addon's config.cpp file (as specified in Making ECP Compatible Addons), or edit each mission and place in the following trigger:

- Size: 50000 x 50000 (as big as the entire map)

- Activation: Anybody (Once) when 'Present'

- Condition: this

- On Activation: thislist call (ECP_resources select 30)

Note that you'll need at least one default BIS unit on the map (e.g. a unit of type WEST: Men) in order for the ECP to initialise.

Can you let me know what happens with this trigger? I tried it but didn't see any noticeable difference. I placed a "West:Men soldier down on the map but I don't know if this was enough to activate the script. I was using some UKForces soldiers at the time.

well...

the UK soldiers use the BIS default grenade effect even if u have ECP. when i activated this trigger, and tossed the grenade, the grenade and explosion was ECP's.

make sure u select anybody. double check and try again. i just tested it and it worked.

ECP no longer have a functioning mod team (Read Here) hence their support forum is no longer in use.

However, there are a lot of talented community members out there (such as Killswitch) who'll be able to answer any ECP related questions - So I'd suggest that this becomes the new thread for those.

thumbs-up.gif

Some sad news to learn the end of ECP, but that's life as nothing is forever.

Thanks for all ECP dev team, it was nice while it was alive and i enjoyed your work a lot.

With a new game will come a new spark to mod it.. who knows what teams will form up... For now a big thanks to those who brought ECP to us. It's still my preference for playing OpFlash with. smile_o.gif

Guess I might as well post this question here instead of posting a whole new thread.

I'm using ECP and I would like to turn off DSAI for one side (the East side, they're VC and NVA so shouldn't speak Russian) but I would still like them to be able to surrender (seems that DSAI as well as info share need to be enabled for this to work). Is there any way around this? So can I disable the russian chatter without losing the surrender scripts?

<s>Look into the ECP_Settings.sqf. You've got to change it there.</s>

Forget about it, looks like you're right. Seems to be impossible.

You could try to find and modify the .pbo/config.cpp with the voice samples, changing the russian ones into empty sounds. ...if it's that important to you. sad_o.gif

No, seems impossible with the settings.sqf file. Also it says under the surrender settings that both DSAI and info share need to be enabled. If I try disabling DSAI for the east units, surrender is automatically set to 'disabled' ingame.

Olemissrebel if you did find a way to do this, please post what it is exactly that you did.

Trapper, I'll have a look at that. Russian speaking VC/NVA just kinda kills the mood confused_o.gif ...

Is there a way to separate the DSAI and make it a config-less mod all its own. No matter what mod you play with, the DSAI will add to it and your enjoyment and is, I believe, the centerpiece and a "must-have".

--Ben

Thanks zigzag! Replied to that thread, do you still have those files posted there or a link to them? The links in that thread do not work for me unfortunately...

Is there a way to separate the DSAI and make it a config-less mod all its own. No matter what mod you play with, the DSAI will add to it and your enjoyment and is, I believe, the centerpiece and a "must-have".

--Ben

Not without a lot of work, the DSAI scripts are tied into quite alot of others unfortunately.

I didn't realize that ECP had finished up sad_o.gif . Loved their work.

I'm trying to use ECP with HYK's latest troops in DAC. I have tried to use a trigger, as instructed in the readme and in previous posts in this thread, but I get a CTD, when the ECP initiates crazy_o.gif . It doesn't seem to like created units. I also tried to use the "MyArray" thing as mentioned in the DAC readme, to no avail...

How can I get ECP to initiate for all the DAC units? Not just the editor placed ones?

Many thanks.

Unfortunately and as it seems ECP just don't like some (addon) units when ECP effects are initiated on them; for instance, ECP 'likes' the Combat! humwees, except for the TOW one...

But I'll also bring to your intention that ECP also don't tolerate some objects from the Mission's Editor like barrels, pallets and the furniture...

From the now disappeared ECP website/forum , even if it mentions a 1.086 update that unfortunately never went released as the team disbanded long time ago, it may be of some use :

(just remember to get the 1.085e update of ECP as it fixes already some problems)

Quote[/b] ]<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>I - Scripting bugs</span>

Crash To Desktop (CTD) when there's an ECP addUnits trigger

Description

The addUnits trigger consists of a 50kmx50km trigger added by mission makers to add non-ECP-compatible units to the effects and simulations handling system. It runs the code thislist call (ECP_resources select 30), which, subsequently, will execute the ECP unit initialisation script for each object found.

The unit initialisation script will try to initialise each object and its respective crew. Some classes of objects, mainly "thing" and "static" type, return a list containing themselves when checked through the command crew. When an object of the aforementioned classes is initialised, the script will recursively run for its crew, thus for the same object, until OFP runs out of reserved memory -- a Crash To Desktop (CTD) then occurs.

Status

Fixed in ECPv1.086

Solution

Instead of executing

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">thislist call (ECP_resources select 30)

try this instead:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">{if (not (_x in (crew _x)) OR "Man" countType [_x] == 1) then {[_x] call (ECP_resources select 30)}} forEach thislist

Fountain water and sound effects on other objects than fountains

Description

All objects derived from Fountain class will inherit the fountain effect. Thus, third party addons with, say, campfires derived from Fountain, will ironically produce jets of water...

Status

Fixed in ECPv1.086

Solution

From Zayfod's post at Bohemia Interactive Forums > ECP 1.085 Released!:

Quote[/b] ]ECP 1.085 Fountain FX HOT FIX.

In order to stop ECP fountain effects displaying on some third party addon objects please follow these steps. Before you make any alterations you may want to back up your Main config.cpp as a safety measure.

1) Open the ECP Main config.cpp with notepad, this is found in the \@ECP\Bin folder.

2) Scroll down until you find this code:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">// PBO release path

#define ECP_FOUNTAIN_EH_INIT "IF (format[{%1},ECP_path] == {scalar bool array string 0xfcffffef}) THEN {ECP_path = {\ECP_Effects\}};_this exec format[{%1fountain\ext_fount_init.sqs},ECP_path]"

3) Overwrite that code with this code:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">// PBO release path

#define ECP_FOUNTAIN_EH_INIT "IF (format[{%1},ECP_path] == {scalar bool array string 0xfcffffef}) THEN {ECP_path = {\ECP_Effects\}};if ((typeof (_this select 0)) in [{Fountain},{FountainNew}]) then {_this exec format[{%1fountain\ext_fount_init.sqs},ECP_path]}"

4) Save, and exit.

ECP fountain effects should now only appear on fountains.

Map clicking doesn't work

Description

Certain addon and mission features that require map clicking (check: onMapSingleClick) will conflict with ECP features that use it too -- such as AI units release and helicopter commands.

It happens when a map clicking command is set by the addon/mission designer, and the player uses one of the mentioned ECP features. Thus, our code overwrites the previous command.

Status

This is usualy due to strict mission design that doesn't predict usage of map clicking by third-party addons or mods. Most quality addons and missions outthere fortunately set their map clicking code for a specific action and then remove it, thus not conflicting with ECP actions, if performed in distinct occasions. However, ECP is the one to blame: when AI units release feature is initialised, the onMapSingleClick is overwritten with an empty string. That will be fixed in version 1.086.

Solution

To prevent the bug, don't use ECP's AI units release and helo commands while performing another action that requires map clicking. If the third-party map clicking is required since the beggining of the mission, please disable AI units release.

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>II - Multiplayer issues</span>

Unability to detect non-dedicated servers

Description

ECP is currently unable to detect non-dedicated servers. Therefore, in Multiplayer sessions ECP will radomly assign a server, which will be able to determine the simulations settings for that session.

Note: The version 1.97 of the OFP engine (VBS1) provides a conditional command that returns whether a machine is the server or not: isServer. BIS did not provide any further patches for OFP since version 1.96.

Status

Fixed in ECPv1.086 - we found a trick to detect the server in any kind of MP sessions.

Solution

Mission makers can circumvent this issue by adding a gamelogic to the map and labelling it "ECP_server". Gamelogics are local to servers and remote to clients, thus ECP will instantly recognise its gamelogic and identify the server.

Framerate drops to 1fps after throwing a grenade

Description

After throwing a grenade, the framerate drops tremendously -- the game nearly freezes -- being followed by an error on the screen (from the grenade visual suppression script).

Status

So far unreproducible by the ECP team. Extremely rare yet annoying occurrence.

If you experiment this bug, please report here in the forum. Provide us as much detail as you can, even the mission where it occured, addons used, and the situation, whenever possible.

Crash To Desktop due to unknown causes

Description

A few people have complained of random CTD and emmidiately blammed ECP. Sometimes were right, sometimes were wrong.

As far as it's known to the developers, the major cause for CTD is tracking objects without shape -- objects whose class properties miss model assignment, thus becoming the dreadful NOID <no shape>. We fell upon it while working on projectile handling for ECP v1.085, and managed to bypass the bug by verifying the id of bullet holes and craters we found. However, it seems we missed a few code lines and people have been crashing when shooting tank shells at trees and certain buildings. It's solved now on 1.085e patch.

On the other hand, people tend to crash while playing because of addon incompatibility, mod hybridisation (incompatible mods running at the same time), and partial scripting on CTD-like situations (such as recursively evaluating units and their crew without verifying if the crew isn't the same as the unit Roll Eyes). Please, make sure it's not this kind of situation before reporting.

Status

Generally fixed on ECP v1.085e. If you still experiment CTD while using this patch, please report.

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>III - Engine limitations</span>

Grenades causing vehicles to bounce

Description

By throwing an ECP grenade at, for example, the tracks of a tank, the tank might bounce as if it was struck by a heavy object. Which is actually true! Lets see why...

While developing the bouncing timed grenades, we faced a harsh bug: the grenade models, being so small and light, would progressively bounce higher and higher until they disappeared in the sky. We fixed this issue by setting the mass of the grenade model at 80.000Kg (175.000lb)! Indeed, some further scripting made our bouncing grenade simulation almost perfect; but, eventually, vehicles hit by them will bounce or move, and choppers will even explode.

Status

Very rare occurrence. Grenade handling scripts will prevent it most of the time.

Solution

Don't throw grenades at friendly choppers.

And additionally :

Quote[/b] ]If you are making an addon that provides a new vehicle, and defines it's own 'class EventHandlers', you'll need to do the following in order to make it ECP compatible.

One line above class CfgVehicles, add:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class ECP_EventHandlers {};

Where you define your unit's eventhandler, use::

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class EventHandlers : ECP_EventHandlers

{

... eventhandlers here ...

}

For example, if you were making a new boat addon, you'd do the following:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class ECP_EventHandlers {};

class CfgVehicles

{

class MyBoat : Ship

{

class EventHandlers : ECP_EventHandlers

{

fired="hint {fire!}";

}

}

};

Note that any eventhandlers you define in this fashion will replace ECP eventhandlers. In the above example, the new boat unit would not have ECP fired events. It would however have ECP init, hit and killed events.

As far as i remember, the latest HYK us/opfor addon eventhandlers are not using the ECP compatible eventhandlers

Well, the alternative execution

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">{if (not (_x in (crew _x)) OR "Man" countType [_x] == 1) then {[_x] call (ECP_resources select 30)}} forEach thislist

instead of

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">thislist call (ECP_resources select 30)

eliminate at least some issues with the editor's objects, but not all of them. Thanks Sanctuary for the info.

@Chops

With me HYK (v1.53) is working fine, so I doubt the reason for the CTDs is the/this addon.