Sign in to follow this  
breaker44

Mini Lunchman

Okay, so in the alternative version of the CWC campaign, a couple of soldiers make a bet while r&r'ing in (I think it was morton?). One guy bets his watch, and the other guy bets a "mini lunchman."

So, what IS a mini lunchman?

BreakerOut

I was wondering about the same thing crazy_o.gif Ironically, I was thinking it was an American name for a lunchbox or something...

Quote[/b] ] I was thinking it was an American name for a lunchbox or something...

Yes i thought the same thing but then why would a soldier have a lunchbox? crazy_o.gif

It's a walkman/lunchbox. Sony developed a prototype in the early eighties combining consumer demands of food and audio cassette playback. While offers were made to the military for extended research and deployment roles, no contracts were ever approved, so it's likely that the soldier was carrying a commercial model, possibly sent from home. Since he specified he had the mini version, the wager was probably extended in an effort to rid himself of the device for something in return, as the mini models carried less food and, unlike the regular lunchman, lacked an exterior speaker. Another major drawback of the mini was battery consumption. Overall, it consumed less power, but held only half the battery capacity of the regular lunchman model.

But, yeah, probably could have been elaborated further in the game. smile_o.gif

It's a walkman/lunchbox. Sony developed a prototype in the early eighties combining consumer demands of food and audio cassette playback. While offers were made to the military for extended research and deployment roles, no contracts were ever approved, so it's likely that the soldier was carrying a commercial model, possibly sent from home. Since he specified he had the mini version, the wager was probably extended in an effort to rid himself of the device for something in return, as the mini models carried less food and, unlike the regular lunchman, lacked an exterior speaker. Another major drawback of the mini was battery consumption. Overall, it consumed less power, but held only half the battery capacity of the regular lunchman model.

But, yeah, probably could have been elaborated further in the game. smile_o.gif

Wow, I would never have imagined that it was a walkman/lunchbox...it makes sense now. smile_o.gif

LOL! Always wondered what the hell a mini lunchman was too.

I find it funny that this thread has this amount of replies.

Hmmmm...mebbe it is a tiny sub sandwich hero? or would that be an oxymoron?

-BreakerOut

i think its one of these old lcd mini handhelds with some thing like pacman on it.

Thats what i always thought it was.

Grandstand-MiniMunchman.jpg

i think its one of these old lcd mini handhelds with some thing like pacman on it.

[mg]http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Grandstand/Grandstand-MiniMunchman.jpg[/img]

LMFAO! That's HUGE! How could you EVER carry that thing around?! crazy_o.gif

people that carried around all the other lcd games and later the first gameboys? tounge2.gif

people that carried around all the other lcd games and later the first gameboys? tounge2.gif

Mini-Munchman? Or Mini-Lunchman?

I'm confused now!  crazy_o.gif

I'm confused now! crazy_o.gif

Maybe the guy who wrote the story didnt remeber the name of the old toy correctly... or they wanted to use a similar name.

I'm confused now! crazy_o.gif

Maybe the guy who wrote the story didnt remeber the name of the old toy correctly... or they wanted to use a similar name.

Yes, there could have been copyright issues or something...

I always thought he was refering to a midget that brings you lunch.