Sign in to follow this  
UNN

WW2 Fanatics. Does it get any better than this?

Quote[/b] ]Although with Flashpoint out of the box, you cant control more than 11 AI. I don't have the experience with CoC's command engine to comment, but would anyone describe that as a click fest?

If you use the hand signal system you can control 4 other squads, which each can contain 12 units (of course, you can add 11 AI to your own squad, but that would ruin the idea of the hand signals...also, the RTO group should only contain 1 unit, the RTO guy). This lets you control 37 other units, if you leave the RTO squad to contain only the RTO guy. Also, it's not that hard controlling the units.

And about this game, I think they should make it possible to play both RTS and turn based...a lot of games lets you choose, and I've found that in some games I like it turn based, while in other I choose RTS. All depends on the game.

OFP would be a bit better from a commander standpoint if the AI showed a bit more sensibility. I would say the designation

of click-festival could be determined by how much control you find is necessary over your squadmates.

To be honest, streamlining the process of issuing orders that effect a desirable response would help the game a lot.

I find that commanding units in OFP requires you to expect only as much as the AI can deliver. Beyond that, you can and will be clicking frantically because they did something you didn't quite want them to. This often comes down to micromanaging their position, etc.

Overall, their most effective use is when you play with both their benefits and limitations in mind, so you're not hamstrung clicking repeatedly while being shot at.

Therein lies the difference between your stereotypical RTS and OFP, The latter basically demands a certain degree of frantic order-dispatching. Whereas OFP traditionally allows you to tailor your plans to account for as much involvement of subordinates as you want.