Sign in to follow this  
GFX707

annoying computer problem

Hi

Ive been putting up with this for like 2 years now, maybe someone can help me

whenever I go onto the internet, the first time I type in a url in internet explorer, my cdrom starts spinning up for some reason....then it wont let me go to the site or type anything in until the cdrom has finished spinning up sad.gif

can someone tell me how to stop the cdrom from doing this....? it's really annoying

that won't help, it's done it with 3 different cd roms sad.gif

not sure this will work but try switching off the autoplay on cd rom then it shouldnt do no searches till u ask it to, not sure it works but worth a try cos it is nippy

Damn, Hilandor, I thought you had it there, but alas, still no luck sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (GFX707 @ Jan. 24 2002,13:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">whenever I go onto the internet, the first time I type in a url in internet explorer, my cdrom starts spinning up for some reason....then it wont let me go to the site or type anything in until the cdrom has finished spinning up sad.gif

can someone tell me how to stop the cdrom from doing this....? it's really annoying<span id='postcolor'>

This might be caused by a couple of things, most likely, it's a crappy version of IE... I think 98 came with IE4, which wasn't all that great. Update that to the most recent version, either 5.5 or 6.0. If that doesn't work, use the excellent http://www.mozilla.org

The problem isn't going to be the cd drive, if it even is hardware related, it's going to be a problem with the controller for your cd drive and hard drives, which is a pain to replace.

Give my suggestion a go, and I reckon you'll be in business.