Sign in to follow this  
dinger

Chain of Command Unified Artillery 1.1

A Crcti game with some twists, artillery and abit diffrent economy mode.

Hope i dont ruin the thread now with this info, but if you want feel free to join the game for testing/playing the UA 1.1 on a Player VS player setting.

Addons needed: SFP 4.1.5 and COC UA 1.1

Server: granq.game-host.org

Port: 2302

Time: 11.00 CET (gmt +1)

I keep getting an error that says:

Preprocessor failed on file missions\__cur_sp.noe\description.ext - error 1.

Anyone know what this means?  

I just fresh installed op flashpoint, gold upgrade, resistance and 1.96 patch,  Nothing else except unified artillery (been waiting for this one for years!wink_o.gif

You need to get the hpp in the description file for the mission. Unpbo one of the demo missions and copy the description.ext file into your mission folder

Found a couple of odd things. When using the Msta Redfor arty I get a wgl fxevents error on firing. Must have to do with the smoke generated. I have wgl5 loaded with coc.

Also the mk46 redfor arty has a problem raising the barrel to the proper angle for firing. Wants to fire straight ahead only with a flat horizontal trajectory. Other than that with practice looks good so far.

holy moly! King of War - artilery!

just tested and it's superb!

and i thought UA 1.1 will be released for Arma, it seems I was far from thruth... whistle.gif

all who participated in this project: thank YOU very much! notworthy.gifwow_o.gifthumbs-up.gif

P.S. em... would you guys be so kind to make a "high res" version of UA 1.1, i mean replace some addons with better ones and maybe add more, just like new DKM M-109A6 Paladin, DKM TOS-1? just thought... icon_rolleyes.gif

I keep getting an error that says:

Preprocessor failed on file missions\__cur_sp.noe\description.ext - error 1.

Anyone know what this means?

I just fresh installed op flashpoint, gold upgrade, resistance and 1.96 patch, Nothing else except unified artillery (been waiting for this one for years!wink_o.gif

You need to get the hpp in the description file for the mission. Unpbo one of the demo missions and copy the description.ext file into your mission folder

OK but any idea why Im the only one that seems to need to do this extra step? Why wouldnt they put this in the readme? Doesnt seem very intutive. ??

On an unrelated note...I noticed the GOTY edition is for sale on Amazon again new. Is there ANY advantage in getting this version over what I already have? I bought the original when it came out and all the addons since.

I like your work guys , but have you tried to improve balistic model ? In te 1.0 ver shells flew by parabolic trajectory - its easy to use and calculate, but its not real ( air resistance is ignored ).

I know you are more focused on realistic command system, but

I'm interested in this question cause some libmod artillery is in the development.

I used a ballistics model with my Mortars, taking air resistance into account. But it required lots of processing power and scripts to determine the point of impact and ETA. Ultimate realism is ok, but not if it makes the artillery unusable in game.

AFAIK the trajectory CoC use, is a side effect of extending the shell's lifetime when fired. If Arma is going to support artillery (longer lasting shells) then I'm sure CoC's Neural Network will work just as well with those?

Thanks for the mirrors, Imutep and Raptor! I'll put them in the lead post.

preprocessor failed: my guess is that you're missing the coc_fed.pbo from the appropriate addons directory, or that the coc_fed that you expanded is corrupt (install it again).

The manual contains all the steps necessary to make stuff work in missions. There's also a mission editor template that contains all the bells and whistles.

Howitzers not elevating: I'm not sure if this is an issue specific to the DKMM stuff, or just the fact that, in real life, the M46 doesn't go above 55 degrees anyway.

Concerning "parabolic" ballistics, UA never had parabolic ballistics. Feel free to measure the trajectories yourself.

Yes, selecting the only simulation with a TTL of 120 seconds does limit us to what sort of ballistics we'll get, but, to be honest, the way OFP calculates drag is not suited for long-range artillery. The engine deals with a series of approximations designed to make things "believable" in direct-fire combat. When you switch to indirect fire, and make the ranges longer, the shortcuts in the physics -- legitimate and even necessary for direct fire calculations -- become unacceptable. If there existed a better ballistics system in OFP, we could train the neural net on it -- the neural network is well behaved, and doesn't care what information goes in. But, at least for us, scripting step-by-step ballistic simulation would cost way too much in FPS for minimal improvements in realism.

Cruise Missiles stuck on INIT -- anyone else see this?

I love CoC since the first time a came across that few years back!

This probably one of the most hardcore stuff around!

I'd love to see more of you guys! Like in more campaigns and stuff whistle.gif

And of couse notworthy.gif never was!

Is this new stuff backwards compatible with ethe old stuff i have I.e will this new release still work with all my other missions that reqire coc arty/criuse ect

It is "pretty much" backwards-compatible, in that you have to get creative for it not to work -- My hope is that all UA 1.0 missions will run.

CoC CruiseMissiles was designed to be 1.1-compatible, so that should run. If it doesn't, I need to know about it.

To exploit fully the new functionality, however, you should perform the following steps:

A) Replace the old Obelisk with a new (Game Logic side) one

B) put in the description.ext file the line:

#include <CoC_FED\FED.hpp>

C) Place an "Enable FED Dialog" Logic on the map.

Hi,

First, a really nice work notworthy.gif !

Second, a question:

The readme says, that in long missions, the game can crash when restart/retry. Does this mean Load also? I'm developing a dynamic campaign, which IS long, so should I worry about this? I want to implement a simplified version, as in UA 1.0 when you just call the fire script. Will I do have problems? I ask this because if CTD happens after a long time, I really can't test it. I will also do some deleting/respawning on the artillery. Will this affect anything?

Keep up the good work!

To be honest, the "bug" has long been suspected to be due to something improper in the MLRS model. But we've never been able to isolate it. It happens in 1.0 too, so if you're not seeing it there, you won't see it here.

Here's what it looks like:

You play a mission through for some time. No problems.

You go to restart the mission: the computer CTDs. In MP, the server will CTD first. If the clients do not restart OFP, when the server reboots with the mission, the clients will disconnect on loading it.

It's annoying as heck, and I wish we knew how to fix it, but it doesn't affect the mission itself -- just the next one.

I didn't try UA 1.0. The miss/camp I'm implementing is pretty new (1-2 months) and I'm thinking now, to implement UA 1.0. My mission is SP, so don't need to worry about MP. I didn't look into the code itself, but by my knowledge such things happen when you're running some important scripts, while saving the game. The solution in my camp is that you can't save the regular way, instead you have to call a "save game" action which waits other scripts to finish, and then saves.

Could you please answer also to the other questions I asked smile_o.gif ?

If the crash occurs when loading a saved game, isn't it the same problem of too many variable saved (addons scripts variables + mission scripts variables + possible mod used variables) that was affecting the older version of ECP too ?

OFP's savegame bug is something different from this, and we spent a lot of time trying to hunt that one too.

UA 1.1 should actually fare slightly better with the "Corrupted savegame file" problem.

amazing work. i can safely say this goes well and beyond the term ' addon'. Not sure if it was the missions or the actual COC Arty code, but i found a few bugs/errors, which i'll send you screenies of in IRC. One of them is rather 'large'.

Will those upgraded DKM M109A6 with animation work with UA 1.1huh.gif

Otherwise the dude who made the excellent update for 1.0 can try again! huh.gif Too bad really... But the other models are much better with the animations and such...

Also I get a bug with the m109 that is in 1.1 when it fires something small explodes right in front of it... It does add more smoke but looks very fake... huh.gif

EDIT

Ooh and with the new control panel is very easy to set up 10x12 fire groups! For massive WWI style arty barages! GREAAATT! It took me ages with the old system! thumbs-up.gif

Snoops is working on converting the new DKMM howitzer as we speak.

whatever's exploding in front of the M109 probably shouldn't be. That could be a remnant of the old recoil effect that never got cleaned out. I'll take a look.

Great news, and I'd be rushing to download it, if it weren't for the fact that most of the missions that you get bundled require another mod to work

Howitzers not elevating: I'm not sure if this is an issue specific to the DKMM stuff, or just the fact that, in real life, the M46 doesn't go above 55 degrees anyway.

What is does right now is for the first shell the barrel points straight up and fires. Then the barrel drops for horizontal and fires again from that position.

Anyone else have trouble with the Cruise Missiles in the UA 1.1 Demonstration mission?

The launcher seems unavailable; it's status is always INIT, whereas all the other artillery are good to go with OPER status. Any missions you give it are always pending...

I also tried loading up the original demo mission that came with the cruise missiles and got a message stating 'Advanced Fuzing failed', and when I opened IF comms it told me there were no units available.

Also, is there a way to adjust the mechanical TIME fuse? Essentially all it does is give an airburst at around the same height no matter how far away the target is. I can't find where to adjust the time.

yes, it seems that the Cruise Missiles are busted. That means that we must have updated the cruise missiles without noticing it (since they work fine here -- my fault no doubt for letting this project sit so long). I'll look into the differences and see what we can do about getting that fixed.

As for the TIME fuze, the way to change the timing is call for the adjustment UP or DOWN (and along range as well).

In other words, the folks at FDC determine the time based on your call/adjustments. Initial Height of Burst is determined by shell type.

uatut4 and uatut6 have a description.ext bug in their pbos, from what I'm told.

Yes, heaven forfend those half-baked MP missions require WGL to work. Thank you for posting your disapproval.