Sign in to follow this  
VictorTroska

Football:General

England,  Wales,  N. Ireland and Scotland use to take part in a tournament similar to the six nations rugby,  just the 'home' nations.  wiki

I believe there was muttering of including Ireland and 'guests' such as the USA.

it would be great to get your view as a scot,  seeing as you would probably win it.   (btw most english wanted scotland to go through, is it the same vice versa?)

Sure, I would love to see such a competition. Anything that gets Scotland playing together more would be excellent for the team. I've always personally felt that the Intl. team don't play enough games together.

Really? England wanted to see Scotland go through? In Scotland I got the feeling that people were not really caring after we got knocked out. People lost interest. I remember during the World Cup that there was almost no support for England in my area. As I stay in an SNP stronghold (Alex Salmond's residence is only a couple miles away). I also remember there being a slump in Mars bar sales in Scotland as they were strongly backing England at the time.

Generally people don't care or don't want to see England go through. When you ask people why they say " cos it will never be off the news." Personally I wasn't really bothered if England got through or not. I lost interest as well.

Also I remember during Euro '96 (I think) that an uncle of mine went down to Wembley to see Scotland play England. The next day his photo apeared in a paper with the title, 'We will never let people like this back in our country' or something to that effect. I've always had the feeling that most people in England were not bothered if we were knocked out or that they wanted us to lose.

In an ideal world this old rivalry would be gone. Hopefully people in both countries will realise what a big (positive) part we have played in each others history and ditch the rivalry from hundreds of years ago. Then again I'm probably being naively optimistic here.

what do you think about the revival of the home team competition. to me it just sounds like a glorification of british isle failings.

wow_o.gif

I'm pretty sure this would cause the rise of lots of ironic comments from the rest of Europe (and from the world maybe), something like: "The English way to try win something with their national team".

In fact this is what I would think about it. confused_o.gif

I would dislike such an idea very much if I was English (or Scottish or whatevere else.)

what do you think about the revival of the home team competition.  to me it just sounds like a glorification of british isle failings.

wow_o.gif

I'm pretty sure this would cause the rise of lots of ironic comments from the rest of Europe (and from the world maybe), something like: "The English way to try win something with their national team".

I would dislike such an idea very much if I was English (or Scottish or whatevere else.)

I don't see why the rest of Europe would and/or should care. Nothing to do with them.

Quote[/b] ]The English way to try win something with their national team

It would be a British Tournament. Don't forget Britain is a union of nations. Why shouldn't there be some sort of competition? Moreover England would not always win it.

Quote[/b] ]I would dislike such an idea very much if I was English (or Scottish or whatevere else.)

Your neither. Little point to this comment when you don't know our culture, what we are like, how we think etc. If you were English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish you would probably think differently.

what do you think about the revival of the home team competition.  to me it just sounds like a glorification of british isle failings.

wow_o.gif

without meaning to try and sound Jingoistic and dillusionaly British,  who gives a shit what the rest of the world thinks.  I know i dont,  let them think what they want to think.

Thats not because i think England and Britian is better than everyone else,  its just that i couldnt care less.  I have a very poor opinion of the Italian leagues and italian football in general,  but i dont think the averige Italian would give a crap what i thought (and neither should they have to).

Quote[/b] ]It would be a British Tournament. Don't forget Britain is a union of nations. Why shouldn't there be some sort of competition? Moreover England would not always win it.

exaclty, the more i think about it the more this would be a great idea.  It gives all the British teams a chance to improve for world cup qualifiers (which all home nations except perhaps Wales have a good chance of qualification) and it will revive a classic sporting rivalry between England and Scotland.  I think its 20 English wins to 17 Scotish ones in this competition. close competetive stuff.

Clubs like Arsenal, Liverpool, Man. United and Chelsea hardly have any, most players for the national side being provided by smaller clubs, not having the same quality, experience or talent. er.

6 players in the England squad were from Chelsea, the highest amount provided by one club so I guess the scousers out there can continue to claim its all Chelsea's fault.

and look at some of the English talent coming out of the top 4. Theo Walcott looked fantastic today. The cream of English talent will always break out in the Premiership.

Quote[/b] ]Don't forget Scotland. Our team put in maximum effort for that game. Scotland deserved to win. Seeing the last Italian goal go in was like getting a kick in the balls. But that's football.

Indeed, Scotland was close to win, they deserve respect for their courage in a group, where they weren't the favorite.

Great to see France qualified, even if it wasn't easy due to scotland's determination.

Too bad for England, though. Sounds like they suffered a lot.

regards,

TB

and look at some of the English talent coming out of the top 4. Theo Walcott looked fantastic today. The cream of English talent will always break out in the Premiership.

He didn't come through the system at Arsenal though, they bought him off Southampton for a reported 5 million pound and thats before bonuses. Watching him yesterday it seemed to be worth it though, shame to see him being carried off yesterday.

and look at some of the English talent coming out of the top 4.  Theo Walcott looked fantastic today.  The cream of English talent will always break out in the Premiership.

He didn't come through the system at Arsenal though, they bought him off Southampton for a reported 5 million pound and thats before bonuses. Watching him yesterday it seemed to be worth it though, shame to see him being carried off yesterday.

yes but he was only 17 when they bought him, thats too young for a proffessional contract so technicaly (to the FA) he was still a youth player when he went to arsenal,  and also for whats its worth Southampton were a premiership club until that season he was purchased.

in other news

Euro World Cup Qualifing group for England and Scotland

England ironicly has

Croatia

Ukraine

Belarus

Kazakstan

Andorra

Scotland has

Holland

Norway

Macedonia

Iceland

Scotland have a very very good chance of auotmatic placing in the world cup with that group

all groups : -

Group 1

Portugal

Sweden

Denmark

Hungary

Albania

Malta

Group 2

Greece

Israel

Switzerland

Moldova

Latvia

Luxembourg

Group 3

Czech Republic

Poland

Northern Ireland

Slovakia

Slovenia

San Marino

Group 4

Germany

Russia

Finland

Wales

Azerbaijan

Liechtenstein

Group 5

Spain

Turkey

Belgium

Bosnia-Herzegovina

Armenia

Estonia

Group 6

Croatia

England

Ukraine

Belarus

Kazakhstan

Andorra

Group 7

France

Romania

Serbia

Lithuania

Austria

Faroe Islands

Group 8

Italy

Bulgaria

Republic of Ireland

Cyprus

Georgia

Montenegro

Group 9

Holland

Scotland

Norway

Macedonia

Iceland

Thats just the European group draw. The USA are part of the North, Central America and Caribbean group which has two knockout phases before two group stages. The USA will play either Dominica or Barbados in the second knockout round apparently confused_o.gif

duh just noticed the euro part lol....im officially stupid!

Duh I guess Kazakstan and Andorra will terminate England tounge2.gif

Sorry dudes, but right now it´s not easy not to make jokes of the english team whistle.gif

Scotland has

Holland

Norway

Macedonia

Iceland

Scotland have a very very good chance of automatic placing in the world cup with that group

Only the number one of the group goes through, the numbers 2 play matches against another number 2 (minus the number 2 with the worst result). I wouldn't place my bets on Scotland finishing first in their group wink_o.gif

My predictions:

Group 1

1 Portugal

2 Sweden

Group 2

1 Greece

2 Switzerland or Israel

Group 3

1 Czech Republic

2 Poland

Group 4

1 Germany

2 Russia

Group 5

1 Spain

2 Turkey

Group 6

1 Croatia

2 England

Ukraine might also contend for 2nd place

Group 7

1 France

2 Romania

Serbia might also contend for 2nd place

Group 8

1 Italy

2 Bulgaria or Republic of Ireland

Group 9

1 Holland

2 Scotland

Norway might also contend for 2nd place

i know the rules, i do think Scotland can finish top of there group and that is what i ment.  If they can beat France twice and Italy once in the Euro qualifiers,  im pretty sure they will fancy there chances against Holland.

I also wouldnt put it past Northern Ireland stealing that second place from Poland.  David Healy scored 13 goals this qualification campaign,  3 against Spain.  Its an outside shot but i would but a few bob on it.

I think if England get a quality manager,  such as Capello, Then they should finish top of that group.

Group 6

Croatia

England

Ukraine

Belarus

Kazakhstan

Andorra

Hard group,but i believe we can do it again,as we did for Euro 08.

England,nice to see you again. biggrin_o.gif

Scotland's coach has resigned, to take up the position left at Birmingham by Steve Bruce who accepted an offering from Wigan. Before he became coach I don't recall Scotland doing so well, will this change go unnoticed?

Damn Shame he left the Scotish job, it was great to see them doing so well.

on another note, if the English players still ellect to play half heartedly in international matches then we deserve nothing but defeats. I was very pleased we lost to croatia it was nothing more than we deserved, perhaps finally this will cause enough of a drama for the team to get focused again.

Who knows.

Scotland's coach has resigned, to take up the position left at Birmingham by Steve Bruce who accepted an offering from Wigan. Before he became coach I don't recall Scotland doing so well, will this change go unnoticed?

too be honest Walter Smith is the manager that made Scotlands qualification campaign such a good one.  He turned to squad around and Mcleish accomplished Smith's vision.  Smith was responcable for the famous 1-0  first victory against France. just look how well hes doing with Rangers now.

Group one I reckon will be a fight for second place between Denmark and Sweden. Portugal are the obvious favourites, but the Scandinavian derby has always been a notoriously hard game to predict. Can't wait to watch this in the Local here

Today is the final draw for UEFA EURO 2008 (12.00CET).

Can't wait anymore. tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]Some of the coaches involved may have slept easier than others, but nerves or no nerves Slaven Bilić summed up the prevailing mood most succinctly when asked who he would like Croatia to be drawn against.

'Hope'

"Maybe I am wrong, but I don't really care," the Croatia coach said. "There's 16 teams in this and you can't have an easy group. It's all about the level of difficulty. The 14 teams that qualified did it the tough way and on merit. That gives them every hope and reason to beat every team. I am going to see how it goes."

thumbs-up.gif

Groups Euro 08:

Group 1:

Switzerland, Czech Rep, Portugal, Turkey

Group 2:

Austria, Germany, Poland, Croatia

Group 3:

Netherlands, France, Italy, Rumania (Hard Group ^^)

Grpup 4:

Greece, Sweden, Spain, Russia

Interesting matches in my opinion are Switzerland - Turkey (behaviour of Turkish fans and players wasn't that good ^^).

Furthermore Germany - Croatia and of course all matches in Group 3.

Predictions who will proceed:

G1: Czech Rep. and Portugal

G2: Germany and Croatia

G3: France and Italy

G4: Greece and Russia

its amazing slaven is only being paid 50,000 a year, Steve Mclaren just got a 2 million pay off.

True,but he's great coach and doesnt give a damn for the money.

We got great group.

k@voven u have chance to finaly win on Euro (not us but austria and poland tounge2.gif )

Group 3...i love it. wink_o.gif