Sign in to follow this  
VictorTroska

Football:General

Who cares about soccer? Too bad you guys don't like a sport with true warriors, who have to wear pads due to incredible amount of force they hit each other with. Have any of you ever been in to an American football game? Have you stood close enough to actually see the speed and force, what that kind of talent looks like in real life? Before you go postal let me say that I respect soccer players. I understand they have to do all that running with no break and anyone at that level of athletics is a tremendous athlete. I say again, I HAVE RESPECT FOR THEM AND THEIR GAME. Just curious if any of you have seen an American football game up close or are you basing your opinions on what you see on tv? Much love, I'm not trying to offend anyone.

Monty

@monty

Although I'm not exactly a rugby/American football addicted I sincerely have fun watching some of this games sometimes. NFL finals are always so spectacular indeed. thumbs-up.gif

However I don't think it's possible to compare this kinds of sports, thy're just too different........

@Karantan

Maybe we didn't played very well in Athens, but if you remember what's happened in Istanbul 2 years ago, where Liverpool played only 6 minutes (scoring 3 goals! banghead.gif ) after Milan played some of the best soccer ever..... Well it seems like the parts are reverted this time. wink_o.gif

Klavan

I like to watch football (real football, not american football), because it's just magic! They peform magic with that ball with their feet!

NAH! Who am I kidding? I'm there for the athmosphear and the beer. Couldn't really care less what I'm watching smile_o.gif

Who cares about soccer? Too bad you guys don't like a sport with true warriors, who have to wear pads due to incredible amount of force they hit each other with. Have any of you ever been in to an American football game? Have you stood close enough to actually see the speed and force, what that kind of talent looks like in real life? Before you go postal let me say that I respect soccer players. I understand they have to do all that running with no break and anyone at that level of athletics is a tremendous athlete. I say again, I HAVE RESPECT FOR THEM AND THEIR GAME. Just curious if any of you have seen an American football game up close or are you basing your opinions on what you see on tv? Much love, I'm not trying to offend anyone.

Monty

Well I'm into football and rugby, both great sports but I prefer playing and watching Football, It's a brilliant game, fast paced and involves quite a bit of skill. I've also been to some Scotland rugby matches at Murrayfield. Rugby players can take some punishment! Both are great sports in their own way. You should watch some games of football and see the skills of some of the player, genius some of them are. And both games can get the adrenaline pumping, especially if it's a heated game. What a feeling!

Never seen any American football games, how different is it from Rugby? Only thing I know about it is that, apparently, Scotland has a good American football team.

Don't you have any sports channel scotchsoldier, it's plenty of American Football on them. American Football is quite an attractive sport, and if you know the rules e.g. 'what's going on on the field' is a joy to watch, and you see some tackles that would kill an 'ordinary' man! But it's uncomparable with football, it have more incommon with rugby from which it originates. And ,,, soccer, wtf is soccer? tounge2.gif

,,,remember what's happened in Istanbul 2 years ago, where Liverpool played only 6 minutes (scoring 3 goals!  banghead.gif ) after Milan played some of the best soccer ever..... Well it seems like the parts are reverted this time.  wink_o.gif

I remember ,,, and I disagree wink_o.gif, Milan played their best football in this year's semi-final against Man. Utd., Gatuso hide Ronaldo in his pocket in that domestic game.

Now some of those grandpas in Milan can finaly go into their well deserved retirement.

Maldini deserves respect. Wash your mouth pistols.gif

Never seen any American football games, how different is it from Rugby? Only thing I know about it is that, apparently, Scotland has a good American football team.

My 2 cents on AmericanFootball

* they stand around most of the time

* more commercial breaks than real play

* utterly boring

* as a player, you have a lot of breaks (defense/offense crap)

* you have to study a 1000-pages rule book

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.....&page=6

Before someone ask, i've watched some WordLeague-games 15 years ago.

Now back to real sports like "Association football".

My favorite club signed Franck Ribery today... strike!!

Bye

Now some of those grandpas in Milan can finaly go into their well deserved retirement.

Maldini deserves respect. Wash your mouth  pistols.gif

Where you've find something disrespectful in that quote? Exsamine your head  banghead.gif

[And again we win] yay.gif

With an almost completely different team compared to last year, the first team ever to both retain the title and the first to win it in their own country inlove.gif

Netherlands 4 - 1 Serbia

(Should have been even more really)

oranje4_502346b.jpg

Hence:

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Who cares about soccer? Too bad you guys don't like a sport with true warriors, who have to wear pads due to incredible amount of force they hit each other with.

Sort of like Australian Rules Football, or Rugby, except they don't wear armour. wink_o.gif

pobjedalj7.jpg

Great game,great goals. We prove that we can beat England again after awesome victory in Zagreb.

England has great football and players ,but we were better tonight in every segment, imo score should have been greater.

Congrats guys,you are the best. notworthy.gif

HRVATSKAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

PS. Russia u own us a beer. tounge2.gif

good news, now the blind amongst us can finally stop kidding themselves we had any chance in Euro 2008 anyway.

Its a politicaly motivated result, we need all our hooligans to go and fight wars ,cause were running out of soldiers i think.

really stupid i know but it makes more sense than the amount those players are paid versus results lol.

Like Steven Gerrard has said, the entire English football is close to death. Italian, French, Spanish and German top teams are all full of players that have that nationality. Clubs like Arsenal, Liverpool, Man. United and Chelsea hardly have any, most players for the national side being provided by smaller clubs, not having the same quality, experience or talent. The English national side is permanently overrated, each time the country expects them to win the cup, only to be followed by a massive (predictable) disappointment. Since 1966 England has only disappointed at major events. If the FA doesn't come up with regulation that says every club must have at least 5 English players in it + preferably from their own youth academy, then this will be what it's like from now on, not even qualifying.

The way England plays is hopelessly outdated (some kind of kick and rush, especially towards the end), the Kroats had no problem what so ever dealing with it, while setting up razorsharp attacks themself. Pretty much every thing they did, they did better.

JdB your arguamnt is flawed.  You argue the lack of English players in the premiership is the reason behind englands failure.  This is untrue as England have been awful since 66, winning nothing.  the major foreign invasion of the Premiership came in the late 90's.  

Also look at the England squad.  All players play for top premiership clubs (except Beckam).  These players play quality football for there clubs week in and out.

The problem is not English talent or the state of the premiership, the cream of English talent will always break out ,  look at rising stars such as Micheal Johnson, Micah Richards,  Abgonlahour and Young.  All regular starters for there clubs.

The problem with England is the mickey mouse FA,   The managment and ,  tactics used are poorthe players have no faith in a manager appointed only as a last resort to a prefered Scalari.  It was cocked up from the start. A manager for England is always doomed becuase of our media.

I'll just add that I didn't saw any national team infront such important match to be so anemic and without any motive as England in this match. And of course and because of it most players (like Wayne Bridge) was also plainly awful. Disregarding here the tactic, which was also so so.

VictorTroska, don't brag too much with 'awesome victory in Zagreb' and with win in London, because in those two games England got some weirdest goals possible. True, not Croatia's fault, and I'm not saying you don't have a good team, but its real value will be shown on the Championship.

i agree to a certian extent, england simply tried too hard, and didnt play with there head (intelligent football), like a caller on 606 pointed out.

The annoying thing is England always revert to the hoofing of the ball up the pitch instead of keeping the ball on the flaw. The result, the one good performer Peter Crouch was left isolated. Also i fell Beckham came on and actually did somthing well. That cross to Crouch for the goal was brilliant.

We played like shite, the Croates deserved their win. Steve McClaren is officially gone and about right too.

Don't forget Scotland. Our team put in maximum effort for that game. Scotland deserved to win. Seeing the last Italian goal go in was like getting a kick in the balls. But that's football.

England did pretty bad. I remember their performance in the world cup being woeful as well.

Chin up and better luck next time to both teams.

what do you think about the revival of the home team competition. to me it just sounds like a glorification of british isle failings.

Have to agree with both jdb and trevor - the premiership is indeed being ruined my money and foreign players, but this has nowt to do with the national team really. Trevor pretty much nailed it - a long succession of mickey mouse managers and piss poor tactics.

both reasons are why I lost a lot of interest in football. I supported Forest for 12 or so years, only to see them have to sell all their rising talent because of debts - I lost faith in the sport. Chelsea have pretty much summed up how money controls it. Buy your way to the premiership title.

even having a dual nationality hasn't saved me, as Denmark were equally woeful this year. Decent talent in the team, but Olsen's looking shakey as manager at the moment. Oh well, at least I won't be wasting next summer anymore biggrin_o.gif

what do you think about the revival of the home team competition.  to me it just sounds like a glorification of british isle failings.

Sorry, was this question directed to me?

If so, what do you mean by 'revival of home team competition?

England,  Wales,  N. Ireland and Scotland use to take part in a tournament similar to the six nations rugby,  just the 'home' nations.  wiki

I believe there was muttering of including Ireland and 'guests' such as the USA.

it would be great to get your view as a scot,  seeing as you would probably win it.   (btw most english wanted scotland to go through, is it the same vice versa?)