Sign in to follow this  
el_muerko

ArmAs Cover Art

Llauma's black one and the white contrary to it are really nice. That would definitely be a cover I would grab to read about it on the back. And I think that's the most important thing covers should do.

r.e. the black and white ones - you can always just go down the route that lionhead did with, strangly enough, black and white, and make two styles of boxes that contrast, but essentially have exactly the same stuff on the cover, just different colours.

r.e. the black and white ones - you can always just go down the route that lionhead did with, strangly enough, black and white, and make two styles of boxes that contrast, but essentially have exactly the same stuff on the cover, just different colours.

It might sound silly but I think that people would be confused if there were two different colors. Understanding the reason for it for the Black & White game is easy though.

no, i understand your point - i'll be honesting in saying that when i purchased black and white i asked the shop keeper what the difference was, and i ended up spending another 5 minutes deciding which case i wanted whistle.gif

if the cover is exactly the same, but one is black and one is white you could get away with it... hey, you could always link it into some kind of Arma motto:

'War is not always so black and white'

or something... im crap at mottos (evidently)

They could have alternating colors on the shelves for ArmA, black white black white etc....

No doubt the publisher has a lot of well paid people that have got a lot of experience in marketing, possibly even higher education degrees, on what sells and what does not.

No point telling BIS what to do, you might as well go bang your head against a brick all and expect it to move...

Yeah, because marketing teams always make good decisions. tounge2.gif

My idea of something like what the cover should look like, based off Llumas cover of the black, I just bolstered it up a bit to start with, then got bored and ended up with this.

Caution though, the file is 1.1mb

Cobras Cover

My idea of something like what the cover should look like, based off Llumas cover of the black, I just bolstered it up a bit to start with, then got bored and ended up with this.

Cobras Cover

That looks great! wow_o.gif

like i said on the RAAB forums... stunning mate, you must have been really bored today tounge2.gif

Thanks guys, aye I was . What happens when you have a graphics lesson in the day, end up wanting to do more of the stuff. tounge2.gif

I was planning on making a manual aswell in the future, when *hint* BIS give me a copy of the manual to convert */hint* tounge2.gif I'll probably do the manual cover for it. That image there aswell guys, high res version i'll post up if anyone wants it to print off for the future if you end up with a downloaded ArmA via online distribution as thats the correct box size

Mate, that cover is so good I have to sign in just to say so - great stuff. And yeah, the detail there indicates quite nicely the level of boredom you must have felt... even the age restriction stickers! biggrin_o.gif

This should have been a competition!

You have done a tremendous job creating a high quality cover but the front is quite bad in my opinion. You should decide whether you want a black cover or one with a background picture. Dividing the front in half looks just weird.

arma.gif

This by BIS looks nicer.

I think that if the image is moved to the middle, it will look better.

However, I still have my doubts on the front image. why not take something that displays a massive battle? or allot of viewdistance?

part1

part2

part3

Those three merged would make a nice image.

JarHead style

on this page there are some nice screens

this pic is a classic.

maaaybe?

another maaybe

.. who knows!

Anyhow. ArmedAssault.eu has almost all screenshots published to date, surely you can find something nice there! wink_o.gif

EDIT: Try using this! wink_o.gif

i think BIS' one is fine... lets compare it to its biggest rival for this genre (well, one of its biggest rivals)

battlefield-2.jpg

I know which one i like better

Cobras Cover

good cover wink_o.gif

checked your profile recently then whistle.gif

Checked yours? nener.gif

The simplistic black, white and red covers are definately more interesting, but ARMAS doesn't it any way work well visually as either an acronym or spelled out.

Any parent who just see's the name on a shelf, at least here in the states, will automatically think "crime", as you hear about armed assaults on TV every time you turn on the news or watch one of the countless crime dramas or COPS. That police reference is so deep into the US culture I cannot believe a better alternative wasn't chosen. I can imagine many US publishers would shy away because of the name itself. If you just read the name you would assume it was either a SWAT based game or a GTA clone. Only visual cues on the cover art can reverse this, and maybe a full bleed, full color image can counter the effect the name will have.

banghead.gif

Good point Lluama mate, and thanks for the kind words. Im gonna have another stab at the front tonight, might produce a few of them and see which is best. Then general problem with fron image photos, is unless they are rendered, they need to be very, very high quality to get the desiered impact. One of the reasons I also choice the one I did, is its more a mainstream type front cover, showing the lovely detail and graphics that we have seen, and as said by Ebud about the name, the image of a woodland and stricker detracts from the thought of the Armed Assault related to GTA etc. (Also the picture I chose was the one with the least bugs and was the biggest for quality I could find tounge2.gif )

I agree on the point really that its main competitor being BF2, doesn't have much to compete with, and I do quite like the armed assault cover from BIS at the moment, but im wondering, will it be different dependant on publishers do you guys think, or will the box art stay the same.