Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Persistent smoke

All smoke effects in any game/sim are 2D effects. True the particles thenselves will often move about in different qualities of 3D movement, but the particles themselves are always 2D sprites.

Even the apparently 3D clouds in FS2004 are only layers of 2D sprites. It's the applied texture, transparency effects, movement and persistence that sets some above the others.

Notice the words "large" and "detailed texture". smile_o.gif .

Rest assured,it isn't a major issue anyways.

actually, you can get true 3D smoke by placing voxels (Volumetric pixels, kind of like visible polygons) troughout a set space.

This'd be easy to program I think, but I dont know how it would be on the rendering though smile_o.gif

actually, you can get true 3D smoke by placing voxels (Volumetric pixels, kind of like visible polygons) troughout a set space.

This'd be easy to program I think, but I dont know how it would be on the rendering though smile_o.gif

I'm sure it's possible, but I've never heard of a game that ever used it. 3D apps like Lightwave & Maya use it, but the rendering is horrendous as you said smile_o.gif When the 2D sprite method is perfectly adequate, I'm sure that developers regard it as a no-brainer.