Sign in to follow this  
snoops_213

VBS1 Lite and Australians in Vietnam

ETA is still open atm.

But check for news on the VBS sites on this "soon".

I like the way you say "soon" smile_o.gif

ehhm, yeah, but wasn't independence lost to be staged in east timor?

So when did East Timor move to Vietnam then? nener.gif

AIV was exclusive developed for the ADF based on the VBS engine.

It certainly isn't some converted and updaded OFP mod...

so this game is ready and at least one person has it - that guy at simhq? wtf? why sit on it? release it. make some money and make a lot of people keen for more ofp goodness happy.

here we go.. kids go crazy..

obviously vbs1 lite and aiv have been released to a minor circle of testers in order to review it.

this doesnt mean its entirely read yet.

however

Independance Lost is/was indeed based in an east timor theatre.

IL then turned into te public vbs1

(comparing the old IL pics with vbs1 addons)

AIV has been created to teach aussie grunts in vietcong tactics.

it was a module like USARMY1 or ADF2 (afaik).

obviously the made it a standalone program/game.

Reality is not always so obvious. I suppose it's probably a good idea to let those who may actually know a thing or two to make some decisions before others begin to speculate pointlessly and in an uninformed manner befitting CS-kidddies about what those alleged intentions may or may not have been.

Nice vague post there Shin :P Maybe IF there were some info there wouldn't be speculative posts. What do you expect?

[personal opinion] I think VBS1 light is a limited vbs1 build with some modules and scenarios made for "home" use, with familiarisation "missions" and ADF units and equipment, maybe the ADF sponsored its development and distribution since it would allow their personel to "take" VBS1 home and... well... get familiar with it? tounge2.gif .

Since not all military personal are gamers familiar with the engine, interface, gameplay, dificulty, etc it sounds like a very good idea to improve user performance for the "real" sessions, perhaps there was interest by those who use VBS1 for virtual training, mission rehersal, etc to get their small, personal build.

I dont think it is/was meant to be distributed to the general public and if it does have limited networking and editing capabilities it might be too "light" for the hardcore fanatic.

[/personal opinion]

That is just an opinion really, i havent heard or read anything oficial about it smile_o.gif .

Reality is not always so obvious. I suppose it's probably a good idea to let those who may actually know a thing or two to make some decisions before others begin to speculate pointlessly and in an uninformed manner befitting CS-kidddies about what those alleged intentions may or may not have been.

You should know better, especially with the past IL then VBS1 then Armed Assault then Game2 cases smile_o.gif

no informations -> no speculations

few informations -> lots of speculations

lots of informations -> few speculations

and that's the way it is wink_o.gif

...and the fundament is the base for a solid ground required to build a good platform...

As mentioned it has been send out for people to review.

Maybe SimHQ got a bit ahead of themselfs on this, however, I guess you all will know when it is ready for release and then you will also know what VBSlite & AIV is capable off and what not. You will get a price you can pay or you don't, and you can order it or you don't. And if BIA changes it's mind maybe you wont get it at all... nener.gif

Maybe it is a new brainwashing device that will all put you into some kind of trance till ArmA is gonna be relased, or maybe it is even on a real disk. Or maybe....or maybe not, or something else... pistols.gif

or maybe just maybe ,its a way for Bis/Bia whomever to make some capital ,so they can publish arma themselves, a la fairytale and cwc. or it maybe even a test run to see how it goes ,distributing a stand alone game on the net as a pre cursor to a much bigger release.ArmA ? one thing i dont understand is the lack of official info.theres usually a little bit of something to speculate about smile_o.gif.

Quote[/b] ]Maybe SimHQ got a bit ahead of themselfs on this

Actually, No I didn't...

I got permission and verified that I could post everything before doing it.

I don't really see what's all the fuzz about. VBS1 is a slightly improved OFP1, nothing more. The really fancy features (like moving freely around in driving vehicles, destructible buildings, etc.) are NOT part of vanilla VBS1 but are a seperate expansion pack that will NOT be included in VBS1 lite (as it isn't available to 'normal' VBS1 customers at the moment either).

Ok, so there's a new (short) campaign, some 'official' 'nam units and it all comes with a castrated mission editor (even compared to OFP) and reduced mp capabilities... That might be fine for the military personels private use - as was the intention of VBS lite and the AIV campaign when they were released to the Australien defence forces last year (yes, the original release date was already 2005, it's nothing new: source) - but for people that already have OFP I really can't see anything worth wasting 40+ Euros.

People always expect VBS1 to be the 'mother of all sims', something even AmA and Game2 will have problems facing up to. It isn't. It's simply OFP1 with a licence for comercial use (i.e. military training) with many nice and professional addons and feature packs available, but in the end it's more or less OFP1.

Disclaimer: I owned VBS1 for quite some time (with all addons packs) before I decided to sell the whole thing again, as the little improvements (some nice new scripting possibilities, some slightly improved models) didn't really make up for the quality addons, high numbers of online players and variety of missions & campaigns available for OFP.

Quote[/b] ]Maybe SimHQ got a bit ahead of themselfs on this

Actually, No I didn't...

I got permission and verified that I could post everything before doing it.

Yeah, actually bad choice of words from me mate.

I meant something else but I put that on a appropiate place.

Sorry wink_o.gif

[link removed, check last post...]

And I bet he's more behind it as William.

Since he retired already and will only tell his story from back then...

However, seen some nice shots of his. You should keep a eye on his blog over the next few days...

This all looks and sounds fantastic looking at pics and links

the only comment I will make is "Pitot Static Tube ?"

All this vietnam stuff in Australia in happing at the same time. I think it has something to do with the 40th Annerversity of the battle of Long Tan. So people, keep you eyes peeled for August 18th wink_o.gif

P.S I dont work for BIS or BIA. I'm just making a intellegent guess biggrin_o.gif

The Blog has been removed!!...links are dead...

Hmmmm,

John just PM'ed me to let me know he moved his blog to our new "bloging site". Here is the link...

--removed links--

We're still fixing some basics on it but all of "John's" stuff has been moved and "he" said he will add some more stuff tonmight some time. He said something about a video he found... but I don't know if he's gonna put this up today or tomorrow...

Any news on this ?

Now that we know ArmA release is still far away future this would be nice time killer.

Yes,

John has posted a small video on his AIV blog.

(please feel free to mirror this video, we're hiting some insane traffic total this month)...

And no,

you can't use VBSlite it to join a server that runs VBS1 full.

You need to host your own or join another lite server.

More informations about VBSlite will be available soon on virtualbattlespace.info in a second review. I post here when it is complete. Some informations are not nailed down yet and BIA still needs to decide on a few things.

Sweet, looking forward to some offical word of release. I was hoping for info on Long Tan Day, but it never happened.

For anyone interested in reading up on the two evens (Battle of Long Tan and FSPB Coral) these are two great books.

The Battle of Long Tan (The Legend of ANZAC Upheld) by Lex Mcaulay (ISBN: 0099525305)

The Battle of Coral (Vietnam Fire Support Bases Coral and Balmoral, May 1968) By Lex Mcaulay (ISBN: 0099659301)