Sign in to follow this  
spongbo

Publish via Steam?

Just wondering if BIS considered self-publishing the title with Steam distribution, or other online disty methods.

This has been discussed to death several times already, there is a search button located on these forums. Please use it.

Im for it but I don't think BIS will do that...they need big publisher for box copy first...

BIS stated that they were "seriously considering" online distribution.

crazy_o.gif

@ the steam idea

Not online publishing

BIS stated that they were "seriously considering" online distribution.

Only if they couldn't find a publisher.

Quote[/b] ]spongbo Offline

Group: Members

You waited 4 (as in one, two, three, four) years just to make that post wow_o.gifrofl.gifthumbs-up.gif

EDIT: Searching does work! Taking time to read everything first helps! biggrin_o.gif

Got this from here:http://rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=130

about why publishing on steam works out better for game developers and the customers.

10. Why Steam? Why Michael, why? Will the game be available as a boxed version in stores as well or are you only planning for a Steam download at this stage?

Why Steam... the reason Steam is so fantastic, is because the game can be developed and distributed without any publisher involvement. Laidback will get to keep the IP, which means that the idea and world the game takes place in will still be ours. Laidback can make a great title, put it up there and people can download it for less than they'd pay in the stores. On top of that, Laid Back will only need to sell a very small number of copies to recoup its cost and keep the company going.

To help everyone better understand, I will explain Publisher funding vs. Developer return process. I'm going to simplify it a lot, but this is more or less how it works.... and it's really quite amazing...

After they agree to fund your game for 6 million, you begin production. They give you 500k a month upon receiving, reviewing, and approving your milestone. They are basically checking every month to make sure the game is actually being made and going in a good direction Fair enough. To keep things easy, let's say the game ships on time and they've given you a clean 6 million bucks.

Ready?.... You get 10% of the royalties of the game! So like if the game sells 1 million units at Electronics Boutique for 50 bucks a piece, you get 5 million dollars coming back at you right?!??!

WRONG

EB bought the game for 40 dollars and sells it for 50. Now the publisher takes away their expenses of producing the full color manual and the pretty box and such which we'll say is 10 bucks (usually more like 7, but let's keep the math easy). So now we are down to 30 bucks, and you get 10% of that... 3 bucks.... but WAIT!!! Your 3 dollars doesn't go into your pocket, your 3 bucks goes to pay back the publisher what you borrowed to make the game. They did give you 6 million dollars. So before the developer see's a check in the mail, you would have to sell 2 million units!!!!! So the developer before the developer gets a check, the publisher gets 30 million dollars coming in.

Crazy huh?

So why choose Steam? I have chosen Steam because if you buy Valves engine to make your game with, you get to keep 100% of what you sell on Steam. That's right 100%. So using our math from above, if I can sell the game on Steam for 30 bucks and cost 6 million to make, I'll be seeing a check after the game sells 200k units instead of 2 million. AND the check I get for the units I sell will be 10 times more than it would be from a publisher AND after all this wonderfulness, you guys all get the game for 30 bucks instead of 50....

Sorry to the grumpy folks, I don't *do* forum search.

If Google or MSN can't come up with the result in one search, don't expect me to come here and try yet another search with an inferior crawler.

Ok then we don't *do* taking-you-seriously. Fair trade.

I'm a decent fan of online steam-like distrobution. Unfortunately it's often plauged with server shortcomings and poorly throw-together design. I like steam when it works... but when it doesn't it sucks.

Quote[/b] ]Sorry to the grumpy folks, I don't *do* forum search.

Theres my sympathy gone

We're not here to do the work for you just because you can't be arsed.

However, to prove a point (Search 'Steam' in ArmA General)

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

Link 5

Thanks to all the useful repliers, I got the info I was looking for.

If you think it's "work" that I'm asking you to do rather than "discussion", perhaps you should consider just *not replying* once in a while. It's seriously less effort, I recommend it.

Edit: thanks for the links, I really didn't want anyone to do work per se, but it's appreciated.

Thanks to all the useful repliers, I got the info I was looking for.

If you think it's "work" that I'm asking you to do rather than "discussion", perhaps you should consider just *not replying* once in a while. It's seriously less effort, I recommend it.

Edit: thanks for the links, I really didn't want anyone to do work per se, but it's appreciated.

Maybe you should consider *searching* before making an ass out of yourself

But I do such a great job without searching!? Seems like more effort to search *before* making an ass out of myself.

Edit: Comment removed to avoid a flame war

Where these forums are concerned it seems the words 'Steam' and 'flame' often go hand in hand!  tounge2.gif

....Let's just give this topic a wide birth shall we!   wink_o.gif

So does buildings really sway in arma smile_o.gif?

Yesss Esspetroo they mooest sherrtainly do ..Hic! drunk.gif

Which ever case, BIS should go with the distrobution plan that gives them to most profit so they can continue to make arma:2.

I don't see what's so horrible about steam.

I really wonder if people are basing their judgements on Steam from today or from steam from 3 years ago, because steam has changed GREATLY.

If the option to pay via mail, and the option to obtain a CD of the game were made available, I don't see any reason steam could not be a viable option. Atleast, STEAM could be used to generate interest and perhaps FINALLY catch the eye of a publisher to put it in stores.

Quote[/b] ]Poll choices Votes Statistics

for steam 88  [24.58%]

against steam 270  [75.42%]

yay.gif

firefoxlover.gif