Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

FlashNews Armour Hit Competition.

Winners will be announced probably in next week's FlashNews, in the meantime we made a "hotspot" map showing the positions selected by all entrants smile_o.gif

armour_hit_competition_hotspots.jpg

Click the image for a hires version smile_o.gif

People actually tried to stand on top of the Abrams???  rofl.gif

I'm really looking forward to seeing the 'official solution' of Capt. Kane. I wonder if I'm even close. The spot I chose does seem to be quite popular...

Surprising how many people actually used the windows smile_o.gif

Cant remember exactly which one i chose but there´s only 3 other crosses around.

Surprising how many people actually used the windows  smile_o.gif

The competition page says: "the position that CAPT Kane chooses does not consider game limitations", so I think you could use a window position.

Surprising how many people actually used the windows smile_o.gif

The competition page says: "the position that CAPT Kane chooses does not consider game limitations", so I think you could use a window position.

Me too, but it needs some kind of "open mind" to do so, thus making it a surprise for me.

Still wonder what went through the peoples minds standing on top of the abrams though rofl.gif

Still wonder what went through the peoples minds standing on top of the abrams though rofl.gif

Well, the RPG is notoriously inaccurate, but from zero distance they're absolutely certain they'll score a hit....

I see quite a few people had the same idea as me. Located somewhere in the bottom left corner, out of view from any soldiers and a getaway car hid in the bushes. tounge2.gif

Shuttup! I thought it was where you aim the RPG on the Abrams! Aiiee! I totally wasted my chance. sad_o.gif

naah, beinh down angle, aiming at teh top of the tank. it doesnt seem that far.

although maybe.. I unno. its better than a thousand other positions clicked!

Hi all

I did not enter.

I like the line of people who realised the defilade position running about 2 minutes past 12 from the Abrams.

The archway past the trees where that line of crosses ends was my chosen spot.

The following assumes the turret is facing toward the front of the tank; it is hard to tell in the picture. If not then point 5 should be ignored as first RPG target and instead point 7 (the tank track) should replace point 5 (the engine compartment) as the prefered first target. In that case the turret ring should be the target for the other two RPGs.

Which ever way the target is facing my choice of place to attack from remains the same

Reasons and method

1)Between 100 and 200 Metres from the target so a good engagement range and direction reduces chance of being observed through vission slots.

2)In defilade left right and rear

3)Easy multipe escape routes in dense urban environment

4)Mark direction and line to target with walls in between you and target for post hit obscuration

5)Chosen first RPG target is the Abrams engine compartment for first hit mobility kill. (possibly reduces turret turn ability to if it requires power)

6)Support team to throw smoke (to screw up visual) and flares (to screw up thermal) idealy from a close rooftop.

7)Chosen second RPG target the track.

8)Support team to throw molotovs on crew hatches and further confuse thermal and IED on engine compartment.

9)Chosen third RPG target the rear turret ring for a highest probability crew kill.

10)Pop smoke and distracting flares and exfiltrate toward own forces through the maze of streets between 10 and 2 oclock from Abrams.

11)The weak point of this attack is the RPG will not be hitting at 90 degrees to the Engine compartment and may bounce off.

12) Addition slat or spaced armor to this weak spot might be worth while.

I think those who chose close rooftops had a possible better chance of a first time kill via a turret hatch but the escape routes are not ideal. Wastes a trained AT team not good.

I think the chance of killing an Abrams with an RPG is remote.

That said hezbola had very good success using something aproaching these tactics from the films and reports I have seen. That was against a tank with suposedly similar abilities to an Abrams.

Most of the kills were mobility with post mobility kill attacks to take out recovery and rescue attempts. Using the same reasoning as NATO's shift from 7.62 to 5.56 of tieing down the enemy in dealing with the casualty rather than an outright kill. Affects moral too.

Also lots of crippelled soldiers saps the political will and reduces the economic power of the enemy more than a straight kill.

Kind Regards Walker

'grats for the winners, and I can only hope for the best... looks like my area is somewhat populated, too.

Just a note for the ones in windows... RPG, atleast RPG-7, is of recoilless design and has a backblast. If it won't kill you (yes, you can actually kill yourself when firing RPG-7), it'll definetly deafen you if fire it indoors.

Just a note for the ones in windows... RPG, atleast RPG-7, is of recoilless design and has a backblast. If it won't kill you (yes, you can actually kill yourself when firing RPG-7), it'll definetly deafen you if fire it indoors.

At least i wont fly outta the window .. allahu akhbar ! biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

ok fine then, whatever, but if you REALLY wanna know what would happen in a real life situation? if you were targeting the abrams with an rpg?, ok you could shoot that M1A1/A2 abrams wherever the hell you wanted to with 10+ rpgs well all at the same time and guess what... it would turn around and blow the shit out of you. an M1 tank can take 15+ shots from a T-72 tank (wich has a 130MM main cannon) and it will most likley just need a quick fixup on the treads or somthing and be back in the fight within the hour.and it will most likeley deciamte the T-72 tank even after its been shot that many times... so theres really no way you can take out a M1 tank with an rpg. i know like, 20 people in the military that would tell you the same thing.

Thats why u attack them when the crews sticking there head out the top wink_o.gif

Congrats to the winners! smile_o.gif Hopefully I will be one of them! biggrin_o.gif

Next week the winners will be anounced, so we will find out everything! whistle.gif

I hope we will get the ArmA MP demo too!!huh.gifinlove.gif

ok fine then, whatever, but if you REALLY wanna know what would happen in a real life situation? ....

You might check out the first link I provided on page 2 of this thread.

While it says 'NO catastrophic losses due to Iraqi direct or indirect fire weapons' it also has this (and some enlightening pictures for you):

Quote[/b] ]Frontal turret and hull armor continues to provide excellent crew protection. Top, side, and rear armor remains susceptible to penetration

- Documented instances where 25mm AP-DU and above ammunition disabled a tank from the rear

- Left and right side non-ballistic skirts repeatedly penetrated by anti-armor RPG fire

- Cosmetic damage only when struck by anti-personnel RPG rounds

- No reported hits on ballistic skirts

- No reported instance of tank hitting an anti-tank mine

But all this is not the main topic of this thread...

Congrats to the winners and while I did not participate it is interesting to see how many selected spots in the vincinity of my favored positions (and that was not on top of the tank  tounge2.gif )

Hi all

@Schattenlied I realise you have come over all patriotic or something but in the real world soldiers and in particular officers underestimate their enemy at their peril.

But we do not want to take the thread offtopic so reply in this thread instead wink_o.gif

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....1;top

Anyway back to the point of the thread:

Congrats to the competition winners I am looking forward to seeing the result to see if I got the position right. Also the adjudicators view would be nice to see.

Kind Regards Walker

Thats why u attack them when the crews sticking there head out the top wink_o.gif

guess what... american crews arnt that stupid.

Schattenlied if you don't have anything strictly related to the competition to discuss then you'll probably feel more confortable in another thread smile_o.gif

Congrats to the winners! its nice to look where everyone placed there markers too. yay.gif

I must admit I just randomly clicked the image while closing my eyes and that's what I entered. I'm suprised to see that a lot of other people chose the same location!