Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

FlashNews Armour Hit Competition.

I think you're making things too complicated. I think we should just find the best position to attack _any_ of the tanks shown (trucks also???) . . .

That`s probably a wrong thinking m8!

They`ve said we have to attack "southern" targets, Placee said that trucks are friendly, so there`s not much left to choose. What`s still confusing me is that on the official page says: southern targetS...

Southern means "Allegiance" not the direction of the attack... and since there isnt any compass indicator on the picture, assuming top is the north would not be wise according to tactical perception.

I think you're making things too complicated. I think we should just find the best position to attack _any_ of the tanks shown (trucks also???) . . .

That`s probably a wrong thinking m8!

They`ve said we have to attack "southern" targets, Placee said that trucks are friendly, so there`s not much left to choose. What`s still confusing me is that on the official page  says: southern targetS...

Southern means "Allegiance" not the direction of the attack... and since there isnt any compass indicator on the picture, assuming top is the north would not be wise according to tactical perception.

placebo has said that western (american) units are to be considered ¨southern allegiance¨while eastern (russian) units are to be considered ¨northern allegiance¨.  in other words, funnyguy1 has it right.

edit:

here´s the quote, from page two of this thread:

Quote[/b] ]Urals are most likely Northern Sahrani targets, so why would you attack your own forces?  Not to mention the fact that trucks are "soft targets"

Any "Western/USA" vehicle should be considered Southern Sahrani.

edit #2:

since no one has replied to the points i made above (esp. the one regarding the TDGs), i will post an example TDG to give an idea of some of the information that might be useful to give people for the current contest:

Quote[/b] ]Bound for Trouble

by Paul Turnan

Situation

Your battalion conducts a heliborne assault to secure river crossings for the rest of the brigade advancing over land. Your company is in the initial helowave. Its mission is to secure the approaches to the landing zone (LZ) to allow for the unhindered insertion of the rest of your battalion. Your rifle platoon is tasked to advance along a road leading from the LZ to guard against an enemy attack into the LZ.

The enemy in this area is expected to be foot-mobile infantry of varying quality, operating in units up to company size, well-equipped with mortars and machineguns, and possibly supported by light armor.

The region is agricultural, cut by narrow roads, dotted with substantial farmhouses and tiny villages. Fieldstone walls or earthen embankments bound fields, pastures, and orchards.

You are the 1st Squad leader. One machinegun is traveling with your squad. The platoon is using bounding overwatch to move to contact. Your squad is crossing through an enclosed orchard when, through the leaves, you spot a column of enemy infantry on the road about 400 meters away. The enemy seems oblivious to your squad. You believe you are unsighted. The time is now 0820.

Requirement

In 2 minutes issue orders to your squad. Provide the rationale for your actions and a sketch of your plan.

and the accompanying picture:

0105tdg.gif

this TDG can be found here.

After much deliberation and looking through the various forums disussing various strategies (the hi-res picture is my desktop wallpaper) I have to admit that I have no idea whatsoever!!!

In a related issue check out the following link. The idea being that you click on the various pictures and then it gives an updated picture showing where everyone else clicked.

Linky

Very psycologically interesting!

Point being, after the competition is over, any chance of something similar to see where everyone clicked?

Cheers!

heh i clicked on her tits and so did a bunch of other ppl yay, im not the only person w/ issues.

anyways ontopic i think we need to come to a decision on where the right spot is then all we have to work out ourselfs is that little essay part

In a related issue check out the following link.  The idea being that you click on the various pictures and then it gives an updated picture showing where everyone else clicked.

Linky

Thats quite nice! Is anyone able to rebuild this with the BI pic?

Did I win yet? yay.gif ?

The competition runs till 31.08.2006. 30 Days to wait left. smile_o.gif

Did I win yet? yay.gif ?

why the hell did they give that much time? Those who know OFP well would have been aware of the the competition right away! biggrin_o.gif

Did I win yet? yay.gif ?

why the hell did they give that much time? Those who know OFP well would have been aware of the the competition right away! biggrin_o.gif

Deadline should have been in midnight the day after flashnews 100. smile_o.gif

Now the ods for winning are very small.

Two questions:

1) Name: Do we have to put in our real name, or our nickname used in these forums?

2) I'm from Germany and after thinking up a tiebreaker in English I noticed, that people from Germany should enter it in German. So will I have to change it, or will it improve my chances? (Because I also could be someone living in Germany without speaking the language wink_o.gif )

1) Already asked and answered in the thread.

2) You won't be penalised for answering in English for the German prize, the main point was as there is a German prize we'll let you answer in German so you can be fully expressive in your mother tongue and not have to worry about your level of English smile_o.gif

2) You won't be penalised for answering in English for the German prize, the main point was as there is a German prize we'll let you answer in German so you can be fully expressive in your mother tongue and not have to worry about your level of English smile_o.gif

Aaaaah crazy_o.gifbanghead.gif

Anyways, hope to get creds for "trying" as rethinking the whole thing into german is not an option since i forgot what i wrote biggrin_o.gif

<TDG stuff>

Where are the TDG solutions posted?  I looked around on the TDG website and only found a current solution.

Hi,

I recently stumbled over this screenshot,

presumably showing the town from the competition screenshot from another perspective. Use the two church towers and the nave as a fixed point for orientation.

Just an addon for the discussion but in fact the decision for the RPG-Soldier placement should be based upon the official screenshot...

greetz

great find bionic, it looks like the screenshot is even taken from the same mission/scenario, as the convoy is in almost the same location (and heading in the same direction) as in the competition screenshot.

if we are to follow a strict interpretation of the rules though, and only target southern sahrani armor (and not the russian-equipped northern sahranis), then our sole target to choose from (the Abrams) is far from the area depicted in the shot you found.  if placebo were to clarify which armor is northern and which is southern, however, your shot might prove to be more useful.

US vehicles = Southern Sahrani

Russian vehicles = Northern Sahrani

great find bionic, it looks like the screenshot is even taken from the same mission/scenario, as the convoy is in almost the same location (and heading in the same direction) as in the competition screenshot.

if we are to follow a strict interpretation of the rules though, and only target southern sahrani armor (and not the russian-equipped northern sahranis), then our sole target to choose from (the Abrams) is far from the area depicted in the shot you found. if placebo were to clarify which armor is northern and which is southern, however, your shot might prove to be more useful.

Yes, indeed, the place on the screenshot is on the the opposite side of the town and, as a consequence, is not helpful concerning which armour should be targeted...

Nevertheless, it shows the terrain lying behind the position from where the official screenshot had been taken. This might influence someones decision concerning the retreat-route, i.e. escaping to the hills. But, as said in my previous post, this should not mislead to a wrong decision, because the guy from the Australian army will make his decision upon the official one.

greetz

EDIT: In my opinion, the US tank guarding the crossroad (on the bottom-left) is actually the only target available for a fictive Northern Sahrani RPG-soldier.

Nevertheless, it shows the terrain lying behind the position from where the official screenshot had been taken. This might influence someones decision concerning the retreat-route, i.e. escaping to the hills.

yeah i was thinking the same thing, but i reached the same conclusion as you regarding its relevance in this particular case.  i'm sure it'll help out though when the answer is announced and all of us that are wrong are criticizing the australian guy's "mistake".  tounge2.gif