Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

FlashNews Armour Hit Competition.

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>FlashNews Armour Hit Competition</span>

All discussion about the competition should go here, it will remain open until the competition winner is announced.

Full resolution competition image

Hints/Tips

Some people are a little confused about how they should choose the target and things like that, so here are some hints:<ul>[*] The full resolution image is available here, feel free to view/download that to have a close look to find good targets. [*] You have an RPG launcher with three RPG's, obviously depending on which target you choose you might not have time to use all three. [*] In real war you're not a solo hero so your actions will be supported by other squadmates, the chosen target should take into account the fact you will have squadmates around to benefit or assist you in your attack. [*] You will want to try to escape after you attack, which direction and how far you feel you must escape is something you will have to decide based on your best judgement.

Tiebreaker Clarification

A tiebreaker is a one line answer to a question intended to choose the winner when two people provide the same main answer, the tiebreaker should generally be something funny or show a clever use of words, or to show a familiarity with the game or company in question.

Rules:<ul>[*] Entrants from Russia should enter their tiebreaker in Russian, entrants from Germany, Austria & Switzerland should enter in German. Swiss entrants who cannot speak German should enter in English.[*]Community sites are welcome to provide their members with translations of the text of the competition, however should any issue arise the rules in English will be the ones that decide.[*]People are only allowed to enter once, anyone found to have submitted multiple entries will have all entries discarded.[*]There are no cash prize alternatives available.[*]In the event of any problems the decision of Bohemia Interactive is final.[*]Each entrant must have checked with the governing bodies of their Country/State prior to entering to the competition to ensure it's legal for them to enter.[*]Closing date for the competition is August 31st 2006.[*]The competition is not open to employees or members of their immediate families (including spouse, parents, grandparents, children, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, cousins and remoter issue and in any event the decision of the Company shall be final) of the Company, their agents, participating clients or anyone connected with the promotion of the competition.

image.jpg

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Huge thanks to all our competition sponsors.</span>

TRACKIR4_05.jpgvx2_fresnel_sm.jpgPCFormat.jpgCGW.gifPCPowerplay.jpgnavigatorRU.jpg

Placebo can we that allready entered the competition change our stands now when we got a beter pic and more info?

Bekus with the high res pic my ideas wher al wrong but as my email allready is in the competition iam out!?

Yep that's no problem, send an Email to me from the Email address you used to enter the competition with a note saying why you want to cancel your entry, please (if possible) include the time and date you made the entry you want to cancel.

Edit: Placebo@bistudio.com for anyone who doesn't know smile_o.gif

EDIT because of post just before mine.

I've made mine, still feel comfortable with it even with the Hi res pic, although...from the link page.

Quote[/b] ]we asked him to choose the best position to attack any visible Southern Sahrani armour targets with an RPG launcher

is a little different than

Quote[/b] ]obviously depending on which target you choose you might not have time to use all three.

so my mind wanders, am I attacking something on the screen that is all ready visible? Am I waiting in ambush for something coming? Do I all ready see my target/targets or am I anticipating them? How does that effect my escape route? Even though some routes seem better, how do I know what is beyond the screen shot?

I love it biggrin_o.gif

am I attacking something on the screen that is all ready visible?

Yes smile_o.gif

And was the word 'armour' used to mean something precisely or generally? I am thinking that the trucks on the right aren't classed as armour, but then would the Southern Sahrani's be using that Abrams, or would that be an American crew?

think on the Occam's razor to find the target wink_o.gif

I'm wondering, if one RPG is enough for one tank. Or do you need, like in OFP, 3 to destroy one?

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>FlashNews Armour Hit Competition</span>

Toute discussion ŕ propos de la compétition doit se faire dans ce thread, qui restera ouvert jusqu'ŕ l'annonce d'un gagnant.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Image compétition haute résolution</span>

Trucs/Astuces

Certaines personnes sont perdues quand au choix de la cible et autres menus problÄmes, voici quelques trucs :

<ul>[*] L'image haute résolution est disponible ici, visualisez-la et téléchargez-la librement pour une vue plus précise pour choisir les bonnes cibles.

[*] Vous avez un lanceur RPG et trois roquettes, en fonction de la cible choisie vous ne pourrez pas forcément les utiliser toutes.

[*] Dans la vraie guerre vous n'ętes pas un héros en solo, vos actions sont soutenues par vos équipiers, la cible visée doit prendre en compte que vous avez des équipiers autour de vous pour vous aider durant l'assaut.

[*] Vous voudrez vous échapper aprÄs cette opération, dans quelle direction et Å• quelle distance vous souhaitez aller sont des questions Å• vous poser.

Explications Å• propos du Tiebreaker

Un tiebreaker est une réponse en une ligne ŕ une question qui a pour but de départager deux finalistes ex-aequo. Le tiebreaker doit ętre en général amusant ou faire usage intelligent de mots, ou montrer une connaissance du jeu ou de la compagnie du jeu.

RÄgles:

<ul>[*]Les participants de Russie doivent entrer leur tiebreaker en russe, d'Allemagne, d'Autriche et de Suisse en allemand. Les participants suisses qui ne parlent pas allemand peuvent participer en anglais.

[*]Les sites communautaires sont bienvenus pour proposer Å• leurs membres les traductions du texte de la compétition, malgré tout seul le texte original en anglais sera la rÄgle du jeu en cas de conflit avec la traduction.

[*]Les participants ne doivent jouer qu'une fois, quiconque découvert avoir joué plusieurs fois verra toutes ses soumissions annulées.

[*]Aucun prix n'est versable en équivalent pécunier.

[*]En cas de problÄme la décision de Bohemia Interactive fait loi.

[*]Chaque participant doit avoir vérifié qu'il n'est en désaccord avec aucun terme de loi de son pays afin de déterminer s'il est légal pour lui de participer.

[*]La fermeture des participations est datée au 31 aoűt 2006.

[*]Le concours n'est pas ouvert aux employés de la compagnie ou Å• leurs membres de la famille directe (épouse, parents, grand-parents, enfants, frÄres, soeurs, oncles, tantes, cousins), leurs agents, clients participants ou quiconque reliés avec la promotion du concours.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Image compétition haute résolution</span>

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Un grand merci ŕ tous les sponsors de cette compétition.</span>

TRACKIR4_05.jpgvx2_fresnel_sm.jpgPCFormat.jpgCGW.gifPCPowerplay.jpgnavigatorRU.jpg

Translation by Lou Montana, do not forget to quote me for copy-paste it on your website wink_o.gif

Traduction par Lou Montana, n'oubliez pas de me citer pour le copier-coller sur votre site wink_o.gif

am I attacking something on the screen that is all ready visible?

Yes smile_o.gif

Like I said, I love it.

Your answer creates more questions biggrin_o.gif

If it's visible, am I waiting in ambush for it to pass me? Am I already "eyes on target"?Am I trying to catch up to it as it has all ready passed? And I still have to worry about escaping.

Oh the insanity/joy/love of one picture. I'm still happy with my choice, so I post only to hopefully mess with everyone's minds as they go to choose, and maybe help someone choose. Good luck to everyone.

I'm wondering, if one RPG is enough for one tank. Or do you need, like in OFP, 3 to destroy one?

Dont know if i can write an anser to that in the open but if you realy want to know PM me.

Dont know if i can write an anser to that in the open but if you realy want to know PM me.

Answer it in the open yay.gif

Guessing we´ve got the newset set of rpg´s for our launcher (and my guess being right) one lucky shot to either the engine or somewhere between the tracks would be enough to disable it.

I´m still happy with my choice too, had concerns of friendly fireing at first but they´re gone now, so bring up the results ...are we there yet biggrin_o.gif

btw: My congratulaitons placebo! Wish you a happy life with the maam smile_o.gif

Destroying a tank and disable it isent the same thing.

You have to think abut every thing a modern tank turns its tower 360 in 9sec. Take out its engine and you stil have a killer on your hands.

And a tank never works alone you have to think abut his platoon boddys or the Close Force Protection.

It might sound easy but its not whistle.gif

You´re right, it aint as easy as it sounds, taken everything into consideration there´s not that many places i´d chosen ...

hope that added something to the overall confusion.

And i´m still satisfied nener.gif

The key is to think out of engine limitations, that's the biggest difficulty after all those years cursing them when setting AT ambushes in a mission (personnally, i would go for a top attack to make ground vehicles retaliation difficult, so maybe from some higher ground).

Are we allowed to call for air support and air strikes against the tanks ? biggrin_o.gif

The key is to think out of engine limitations, that's the biggest difficulty after all those years cursing them when setting AT ambushes in a mission (personnally, i would go for a top attack to make ground vehicles retaliation difficult, so maybe from some higher ground).

Are we allowed to call for air support and air strikes against the tanks ? biggrin_o.gif

Yes, as an good old OFP player, you would look for a higher position, because the AI wouldn't get you there. But I guess in this case, other tanks would surround you, if you climb on one of the buildings.

Do the convoy of trucks to the right of the picture count as "armour targets"?

No they are trucks wink_o.gif Urals by the look of it dont know abut you but i cant count them as armoured whistle.gif

[*] In real war you're not a solo hero so your actions will be supported by other squadmates, the chosen target should take into account the fact you will have squadmates around to benefit or assist you in your attack.

Hi Placebo

do we have to take this into account for our enemy too, esp concerning other units eg outside the screen?

thx

Royal

Do Southern Sahrani forces have M1 Abrams at their disposal?

is that soldieron the right of pic stood in the road , friend or foe ? i havent seen the soldiers so i dont know lol, or is that us taking the shot ? smile_o.gif.

Urals are most likely Northern Sahrani targets, so why would you attack your own forces? wink_o.gif Not to mention the fact that trucks are "soft targets" smile_o.gif

Any "Western/USA" vehicle should be considered Southern Sahrani.

Royal_Blackwatch you should take into account that the target(s) you choose, and the way you attack, may set up further immediate successful attacks (of those same targets you attacked or other targets) for the rest of your side, how you decide that is up to you.

Dont know if i can write an answer to that in the open but if you really want to know PM me.

Would your answer be more detailed than this:

Abrams Tank Systems: Lessons Learned Operation Iraqi Freedom 2003

More lessons learned can be found here

But a detailed discussion on this certainly does not belong into this thread.

Regarding the competition, I wonder whether I am allowed to wait a little or are we in the moment of  pulling the trigger in this picture?

And are those soldiers (I count at least 5) in the picture OpFor or friendly?

Hey WhoCares, I think you are in no hurry. Study every pixel carefully:

Quote[/b] ]Closing date for the competition is August 31st 2006.

but I made my entry alread tounge2.gif

Hey WhoCares, I think you are in no hurry. Study every pixel carefully:

I meant the situation in the picture - do I shoot just in this second or can the vehicles move e.g. some 50m?