Sign in to follow this  
kutya

Vietnam Tour of Duty v0.1b released

This is a beta! I won't be available for a week, so if it's a bit rushed, wait until then.

This version differ from the older mostly under the hood. Aside that, the gameplay changes:

- (I hope) succesful implementation of DAC by Silola

- you need to rest between missions

- 2 new mission types: assassination and demolition. More in the readme

- civilians should spawn correctly now.  But you'll rarely see them because the Bra doesn't have much villages.

- in some missions you'll have to search for your target

- radio available all the time

- you'll be penalised for dead civilians.

- you increase value level in regular missions

- dropped: Seek and Destroy mission, free war, missile strike and smoke support.

By my knowledge the AI doesn't react to smoke. If you prove me wrong, I'll return it. Seek and Destroy was removed mostly because of editing issues. And the free war does not fit into my concept of jungle warfare. I think missile strike was not widely available in the Vietnam War. Feedback welcome.

Here's the (updated) link for the v0.1b:

http://rapidshare.de/files/25650212/VTDv01b.ZIP.html

(sorry, for the problems)

For those interested, the thread for the older release:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=52675

Are Ia Drang Tour of Duty and Vietnam Tour of Duty two separate things?

VTD is actually the successor of Ia Drang Tour of Duty. This is because Ia Drang is just on Ia Drang island. VTD is in its early phase, but it is meant to be played on about half of the Vietnam The Experience islands. Altough in the released versions it features only the Bra (and sometimes Ia Drang again), because I'm still implementing some features. Also there was an overhaul in organisation of scripts. The features are almost complete, so in about ten days, I'll start to implement the whole thing on more islands. It will be like a major campaign with many mission/campaigns (dynamic missions). You'll start on Ia Drang, play probably three mini campaigns there, go to another island, and so on. It was an idea to try out those nice islands in VTE. That will be the real Vietnam Tour of Duty (the reason for the name). This was just a warmup.

Bye,

kutya

Please can sameone put the file into one different server...

I'm unable (as last time) to DL from Rapidshare, due my IP number.....

or if sameone can.... email me

metio(et)tiscalinet.it

where (et) = @

thank you in advance

I'm back, so a full release will be in about a couple of days, I hope. Open to suggestions, tips etc.

I've played only a couple of MP missions. Dial-up and stuff. I really don't know much about MP mission editing, so if someone's interested, modify it freely. Also wouldn't have any place for testing and having problems with the SP part, so I think this is unfortunately a heavy no.

How about some vietnam music, but you get ot select which song like in Battlefield Vietnam?

I presume in BF you chose music from a list. Here, it's not the same, but from the last version it's changed pretty easily, but you have to unpbo the mission. There is a file main\globals.sqs there you'll find the classnames of the songs which will be played. Also if you don't like the music, you can turn it off in the same file. I tried to document it well, so you shouldn't have trouble. I suppose it could be set ingame, but my idea is using resources (for menus), but thats beyond my scripting knowledge. Thanks, for your suggestions. I'll keep them in mind.

Here is a new update on VTD. It's currently v0.12  whistle.gif . I know I said a full release, but having many plans and don't want them wasted. Also many of the islands are not appropriate for my current campaign. This version has some bugfixes, some new ones (hope not), some features added and it is now a campaign. There are 8 mini campaigns, the featured islands are A Shau Valley and The Bra. The ingame text is a bit generic due to the development phase. If you don't mind the details, it's mainly playable. There will be no updates for some time due to RL and the fact that I'm planning to add some new features and polish this to the max (despited that it's far from polished by now). In total, finishing this campaign you should have played about a hundred of missions.

This version is similar to the previous, but much content has been added. It's about 3 times the size of my previously released campaign Ia Drang Tour of Duty.

Note: when the officer says, you need to rest before getting a new mission, he says go to the barracks. Actually currently you need to go to the medic to rest. And if the extraction heli can't find you (happened once), get closer to your base and call it again.

Here's the v0.12 link:

http://rapidshare.de/files/26925173/VTDv012.ZIP.html

Comments welcome. When VTE 0.3 comes out, there will be an update of this version with new units.

Hi..

Do you have any Screens from the campaign?

Thanks, Imutep smile_o.gif

I can make some. Soon. I'll send the links.

BTW work isn't halted, just bugfixing currently. Among other things, added a new mission type and a medevac option. Also thinking about more support options. In the next version, many gameplay options should be more stable (like airstrikes, insertion/extraction etc.). Also there will be a facelift when VTE 0.3 comes out.

I'd also like some feedback: should the campaign be made as a generic VTE dynamic campaign for others to build upon it, or make one long campaign with a storyline? Looks bad to include a story in a dynamic campaign, but I have some ideas. In short, should be this like a "CoIn for VTE" or a full campaign?

Sorry, didn't notice the above post. But notworthy.gif to Imutep!

The 0.14 version is out. BUT. It isn't a complete campaign as v0.12. It is more made for mission editors to build upon it. It should be fully functional, but only SEB Ia Drang is used and only one phase is included. For reasons and the download link, read this thread:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=53233

I was waiting for VTE 0.3, and since it isn't released, I changed my plans. So this is the final version of VTD in this state. Like it was with the Ia Drang Tour of Duty v1.04f. There will probably be newer versions, but only as a spinoff of the GDCE structure. But I think I made a good work, so you should try this out, especially if you liked the older versions. New features are added, and the whole mission behaves much more stable as before. Just less content and no Bra or A Shau Valley.

hi kutya smile_o.gif

Your project sounds itself very promisingly thumbs-up.gif

Unfortunately I do not have much time for the moment, in order to test your project,

since I work with high pressure on the new DAC version.

I wish further much fun and success with your project.

bye

silola

Thanks man!

I'm having the same problems with DAC  smile_o.gif . Once I set it up and it works well, I turn it off during testing, to speed up the mission initialisation. I just don't have problems with DAC, so I use it much less than I want to (because need to test something other).

Eagerly waiting for the next DAC, and happy about you working hard for it! I'm doin' the same with this smile_o.gif