Sign in to follow this  
Drongo69

CoIn2 by DMA

DMA is happy to announce the public BETA release of CoIn2, the sequel to CoIn and CCE.

Features:

- SP or Coop

- Free-roaming gameplay over a wide area

- DAC

- Upgradable support options

- Enemy can buy upgrades

- Quick and easy porting to new units and islands (minimal scripting knowledge required)

- Editor's guide

More detail from the readme:

Quote[/b] ]OVERVIEW

========

The aim is to give the player(s) a freeform mission focused on squad-level combat. The overall theme is a highly abstract version of counter-insurgency operations. CoIn2 can be played either SP or Coop.

There is a strategic angle to the mission, but CoIn2 is not an RTS-style experience. The strategic element is deciding on goals (eg. kill all HVTs first, clear out the enemy camps next, etc). Also, choosing upgrades is part of the strategy. To put it another way, the player makes strategic decisions, but most of his game is played tactically.

PLAYING AND WINNING

=================

To win the mission, the player must kill every enemy unit in the area of operations. This may sound like a daunting task, but over time the player will be able to buy upgrades such as lethal airstrikes and satellite sweeps. There is also a slowly-decreasing "commitment" rating that measures political and public support for the war. If the mission is not won before this rating hits zero, the players will lose.

At the heart of CoIn2 is Silola's excellent DAC (Dynamic AI Creator). Enemy troops move about the AO. When they are killed, they will respawn at DAC bases. To prevent the endless respawn of enemy troops, the enemy DAC bases (and their guardian squads) must be totally eliminated. Finding and destroying these bases should be the main goal of the players.

The enemy also has a number of HVTs (High Value Targets) that generate resources each minute. These resources are used to buy upgrades such as mortars, snipers and elite terrorist squads. The timely elimination of these HVTs will prevent these new threats from appearing.

The enemy also has roaming BMPs and stationary Shilkas.

It is up to the players to decide the best upgrade path, their tactical objectives and how best to acheive them.

Download (~133kb): > CoIn2 Public Beta v 1.12b <

Required addons:

CTI Markers (for DAC)

I also recommend the DMA Naval pack

As suggested, a screenshot showing the upgrade screen and SITREP:

coin2a.jpg

This a beta release, so any feedback will be a big help.

Enjoy smile_o.gif

excellent to see it go open beta smile_o.gif

great concept thumbs-up.gif

thanks tacrod !

a WGL conversion should be up soon too wink_o.gif

Another really important release for OFP, thanks for the hard work. Ive just been testing it and it looks to have vast potential. Good job all round smile_o.gif

Thanks DMA!

Tried it a bit, and it seems nice. Just a suggestion: you could disableUserInput while DAC initializes (maybe more of that camera rotation). Or better, just disable the transport option for that time. Currently, it could happen that you trasport too soon, and the enemy spawns around you.

Looking good with ECP and DMA's Naval Pack. Thanks for keeping it simple and letting the player(s) decide which addons they want to use! smile_o.gif

Some feedback...

Respawning is hit and miss. Sometimes I'll respawn even if it's disabled as per the readme ... and it's always on the island in the south with the 'DAC Dummies' marker.

AI seem to be able to see through the fog. In one engagement the fog had just rolled in before we began firing and was so thick we couldn't see more than 15-20m ahead of us, yet the enemy MG'er was apparently seeing right through it as he only took a few accurate bursts to kill the two of us. It definitely wasn't spray-n-pray, his rounds were coming straight at us (2 different locations) through the heavy fog.

The only other thing I can think of right now is there's a lack of information on the workings of the mission. What do the single red dots on the map from a satellite scan mean (they seem to be patrols)? What are HVT's ... I mean, what am I looking for and will they show up on map? Also a little more info on how to destroy bases would be helpful, though I did find out the hard way that driving an M113 over a tent is a bad idea biggrin_o.gif

Just the basics of how to play would be helpful. Can't stop playing it though, well done!

Thanks smile_o.gif

You can destroy camps with satchel charges or LAWs.

Thanks for the feedback guys smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Just a suggestion: you could disableUserInput while DAC initializes (maybe more of that camera rotation). Or better, just disable the transport option for that time. Currently, it could happen that you trasport too soon, and the enemy spawns around you.

Good idea, I'll fix this for the next release.

Quote[/b] ]The only other thing I can think of right now is there's a lack of information on the workings of the mission. What do the single red dots on the map from a satellite scan mean (they seem to be patrols)? What are HVT's ... I mean, what am I looking for and will they show up on map?

Thanks for raising these points, I guess I've assumed too much. Basically the mission is won by triggering a "Resistance not present" trigger. Every enemy unit must be killed/destroyed. Because DAC camps can respawn enemy squads, they should be primary targets.

The HVTs are enemy commanders (accompanied by a squad of bodyguards). The red dots are positions of random enemy squad leaders at the time of the pass. They could be DAC patrols, DAC camp units, HVTs, BMPs or Shilkas. Not all enemy units will be revealed by a satellite pass. The number is dependent on the level of you intel upgrade. At level 1 five units are revealed, at level 3, twenty.

A note on the DAC camps, only the central tent and the netting are DAC structures, the other stuff is just for ambience. At the moment, any destroyed DAC structures automatically repair. However, if the squad that guards the base is destroyed, the camp will self-destruct after a while. I have notified Silola of the problem and hopefully it can be fixed for the next release.

I'm not sure about the respawning issue, I'll look into it.

I hope this clears a few things up. Please keep the feedback coming smile_o.gif

I'm not sure about this, but consider the possibility that the DAC respawn camp has a bug. During testing (just DAC, nothing else I think), strange things happened, sometimes the base didn't destruct, altough I killed the camp's patrol (and yes, I set it in the config). If you've got the time, check there. It's real messy, so beyond my abilities.

Great mission

I spawn with no group just me when in multiplayer Is this something I am doing wrong or a bug?

Is this to do with editing the init file that you have posted I did that but didnt change it.

Keep up the good work

also could somebody point me in the right direction on a thread on how to port missions over from one island to another etc I looked but couldnt find the right info thanks.

Maybe this is not the best way of converting to another island, but I do the next (because it's simple):

find the mission, say: mission.intro

make a new copy with the name of your island: mission.eden

Load it in the editor, and there you go. I suppose you could also use the merge option from the editor altough I never tried it.

Quote[/b] ]I spawn with no group just me when in multiplayer Is this something I am doing wrong or a bug?

From memory, you can not have a human/AI mixed squad due to the way Mapfact respawn works. I don't have a solid knowledge of MF respawn, but maybe there is a way around this.

Quote[/b] ]also could somebody point me in the right direction on a thread on how to port missions over from one island to another etc I looked but couldnt find the right info thanks.

Kutya's method should work, as long as the target island is at least as big as Nogova. Another way is as follows:

- Open the mission in the editor

- Enable markers

- Select EVERYTHING and press ctrl-c to copy

- Open the island you wish to convert to

- Press ctrl-v to paste

- Save the mission under whatever name you want

- Go to Windows explorer and open your user missions folder

- Copy everything from the coin2.noe folder into the folder of the mission you just saved

If your target island is smaller than Nogova, simply move everything (units, markers, triggers, logics, etc) into a smaller area in the editor, then cut and paste.

Quote[/b] ]I'm not sure about this, but consider the possibility that the DAC respawn camp has a bug.

Hopefully Silola will be able to shed some light on this. It might be something to do with making sure the DAC AI always has somewhere to spawn (which is exactly what I wish to prevent).

Beta 1.1 released. From the readme:

Quote[/b] ]- Edited the DAC script "DAC\KI_1\DAC_Move_Camp.sqs". Commented out a line making DAC bases indestructable

- Edited the client\teleport.sqs file to disable teleporting until over 1 minute has passed (to allow DAC to initialise)

- Teleport disabled outside debug mode

- Changed most BMP waypoints to move, to prevent an early game BMP rush

- Removed the self-destruct ability of DAC camps

- Changed "Jeep requisitioned" text in upgrades\buy_vehicle.sqs to reflect correct vehicle

Download from the first post in this thread.

- Open the mission in the editor

- Enable markers

- Select EVERYTHING and press ctrl-c to copy

- Open the island you wish to convert to

- Press ctrl-v to paste

- Save the mission under whatever name you want

- Go to Windows explorer and open your user missions folder

- Copy everything from the coin2.noe folder into the folder of the mission you just saved

Thanks that worked i was doing it slighly wrong

also the day night cycles are odd as i mentioned before but i wasnt sure so i deleted it but now it seems i was right

Quote[/b] ]I spawn with no group just me when in multiplayer Is this something I am doing wrong or a bug?

From memory, you can not have a human/AI mixed squad due to the way Mapfact respawn works. I don't have a solid knowledge of MF respawn, but maybe there is a way around this.

I think Mapfact respawn deletes non human players.

I couldn't find any way to change this in the past.

Frustrating for larger missions which require more than 1 man teams.

The only problem I have found is the mapfact respawn often does not initiate correctly. 2/3 of the time it doesn't work correctly sad_o.gif. Other than that, awesome job guys!

great release. however when playing in SP i dont respawn. is this intentional?

SP does not have a respawn option, MP only supports Mapfact respawn, which requires other human players to make it work.

If there is enough demand I could release a version with standard respawn.

Even 1 screenshot posted will mean it's more noticeable in FlashNews smile_o.gif

As per Placebo's suggestion, some screenshots.

A satellite pass revealed the location of this enemy base.

coin2b.jpg

With my squad providing overwatch, I moved in to the deserted camp and placed some satchels.

coin2c.jpg

Check the first post of this thread for a shot of the upgrades menu.

SP does not have a respawn option, MP only supports Mapfact respawn, which requires other human players to make it work.

If there is enough demand I could release a version with standard respawn.

yes please it would be great if you could make ai work in multiplayer. is it posible to make it so that you respawn in your group (if that makes sense) and the group only respawns when the whole group is dead or a radio command is given, its just taht i would like to fight down to the last man in my group if possible.

More feedback...

Myself and another player were able to respawn a few times ... specifically, I was able to respawn once while he had no problems whatsoever (I'm hosting the game if it makes a difference). When I tried to respawn the second time I was dead, but not quite. I could take magazines and look around but my body was dead and I couldn't move. This happened once before when I was driving back to the field hospital while wounded - as soon as I got out of the UAZ, I instantly died in the same manner.

Also I'm not sure how the group transport function is supposed to operate...? It worked once and only once. After respawning, we were marooned on the southern island again so I tried transporting but it only caused a weird lag issue that made both of us jump back a few feet every 10 seconds or so. Not sure if that's related to group transport but it hasn't happened before.

The Shilkas are crazy good. Going anywhere in the northern half of the island is suicide. They can see a LONG way and they're extremely accurate. I'm guessing that was your decision to balance out those wishing to use the helicopters, though. I was able to use the terrain to my advantage when I knew where the Shilkas were so it's actually pretty good gameplay-wise. Oh, the intro cutscene still shows the factory base even when you choose a pilot.

I know I asked before but is there any way to make it so the AI doesn't see so well in the fog? One last thing ... buying a helicopter still says "Jeep requisitioned."

Sorry for the laundry list - I just want to see this perfected.

Thanks tacrod!

Yeah, I kept getting marooned to the south island with the dummy units also sad_o.gif. I had respawn work like once out of 10 tries. Any possibility of just using the regular base respawn built into OFP?

OK, I'll use standard respawn for the next release. I should point out that I had to edit MF respawn, so the error is probably mine.

The group transport function is only intended for debugging in the editor. From v1.1 it will not work unless debug=true is set in init.sqs. It is not intended as a gameplay element.

I will tone down the Shilkas and reduce the fog for the next version.

The "Jeep requisitioned" text has been fixed as of v1.1.

The next update should be out within the next 3 or 4 days.

Thanks for the feeback smile_o.gif