Sign in to follow this  
echo1

F-35 Joint Strike Fighter gets official name

yep just read that aswell, the raf made alot of somewhat odd descisions when it came to plane procurement smile_o.gif

back on topic

i find the JSF a nice looking plane defintly nicer than its competitor that looked somewhat like a basking shark crazy_o.gif. I just hope everything turns out ok with the VSTOL version

yep just read that aswell, the raf made alot of somewhat odd descisions when it came to plane procurement smile_o.gif

They still do confused_o.gif

(search for C-17 info for the most recent cockup, the Phantom "Phiddling" they did (Spey engines) and so on)

Hopefully, once the US get their heads out their asses and allow us to have full-spec code (which is written in the UK anyway) we wont fuck around too much with the F-35.

dont forget all the problems we've had fitting different engines to the Apache's, different computer systems to the HC3's... aaah, to be british and stubborn tounge2.gif

I think the Americans now want to fit the British engines to their Apaches too.

dont forget all the problems we've had fitting different engines to the Apache's, different computer systems to the HC3's... aaah, to be british and stubborn  tounge2.gif

The WAH-64 is a nice piece of kit though. Each has Longbow capability, as opposed to the 1 in 3 the US formations use.

Shame there are no pilots trained to fly them. Who ever thought up using a CIVILIAN contractor to train them needs shooting.

Guest RKSL-Rock
They are tained to fly them?

I always thought it was whoever can get in take off and then land without dying gets to be an AAC pilot tounge2.gif I didnt think training was in the budget!

Certainly felt like it when i got lifts from them.

The Yak-38? whistle.gif

Which is only 8 years younger than the Harrier (GR.1), and not exactly a great choice due to its entirely different systems.

Weapons intergration etc would be a bitch crazy_o.gif

Not to mention the fact that it can only really carry two small weapons, it falls out of the sky more often than hail stone, has such a poor range it has to fly slower than my 28 year old Cessna smile_o.gif (slight exageration i know but its close)

there is the yak-141 freestyle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHFsMVOEhF4

Guest RKSL-Rock
there is the yak-141 freestyle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHFsMVOEhF4

Its not in production only devlopment. 4 Aircraft were built and only 2 of them are apparently still flight worthy. Apparently it also has the same flaws as the Yak-38: short range, small payload and a tendacy to drop from a great height.  Transition to and from the Hover is very dangerous.  

The Russian government cancelled it in '89 but Yakolev have tried to develop it further with private funds and partnership programs wiht various nations.  They kept is flying until '95 and then cancelled the programme and later tried to interested western partners.  But since some of its main limitations were due to the design most of the big manufacturers dont see it as a viable project. Its unlikely that it will ever see service so its not really a viable alternative.

Yeah i know it was cancelled just thought i would post it  since i just found that video and its the first time ive ever actully seen it fly except for pictures.

About stabaility if i remember correctly the early harrier wasnt to stable either but it was solved by adding kind of puffer jets(dont know the correct name) to wings tips and tail giving improved control and stability in hover. Im just wondering does the f35B have a similar system?

Guest RKSL-Rock
About stabailiy if i remember correctly the early harrier wasnt to stable either but it was solved by adding kind of puffer jets(dont know the correct name) to wings tips and tail giving improved control and stability in hover. Im just wondering does the f35B have a similar system?

The puffer jets were integral to the design from the start, they just had to tweak the amount of engine gas they used for manoevers.  Eventually they devloped a high pressure progressive valve system, which inturn evolved in the managed system in the current Harriers.  Which now,thanks the UK's VAAC that system is no evolving in the F-35B's flight managment software.

The F-35 is quite similar to the Harrier, it uses puffer ducts midway along the the wing.  But unlike the Harrier it doesnt have lateral jets to contol yaw. Instead It angles the trust from the engine nozzle and lift fan to induce movements which has meant that all VTOL ops require a complicated and fully automated nozzle control system.

Its claimed that this will be safer but the USMC has been forced to add so many safety restrictions to the requirements by Congress in light of their Harrier losses that its been suggested that its no longer flexible enough to land on a Carrier or LPD at night in rough seas.

The RAF/RN have already expressed concerns over this and are likley to remove most of the restirctions on their aircraft to allow them to operate from small decks.