Sign in to follow this  
stlkd

increase the terrain detail in MP?

It sucks playing MP where everything is flat and you cant hide anywhere, Id like to be able to turn up the terrian detail so i can hide behind small hills and such so i have more cover.

Now obviously i know i cant do this with other peoples servers.

I usually host my own games and really only play with one buddy of mine, and it would be alot more fun if we could increase the terrain detail some in mp to.

So is there anyway to do it? or am i stuck with the crappy sharped edged and flat terrain that leaves me exposed.

AFAIK :

Mission designers can set the terrain resolution by using the "SetTerrainGrid" command. Check the OffComRef, but the lower the figure, the higher the resolution. This works on servers, but it is recommended to lower the view distance accordingly.

Where do i put the command and can i get a link to the offcomref?

in the 1st line of an init.sqs , and i suppose in a trigger that is started at the mission/intro beginning (in the init.sqs i confirm it is working, but i have not tested in a trigger) just put :

setTerrainGrid X

With X can be :

50 > Terrain similar to option Very Low

25 > Terrain similar to option Low

12.5 > Terrain similar to option Normal

6.25 > Terrain similar to option High

3.125 > Terrain similar to option Very High

Official comref can be found here

Thanks, i found i can do it by just putting it in the inistialization on a unit

best way to do it is in the init.sqs

doing it via triggers and such causes a majar lag to happen as it changes terrain grid size

also dont use 3.125 (very high) as half the people on the server tend to crash on mission load

You might also want to limit view distance when using very high terrain detail with the command setViewDistance <number of meters>.

Can the view distance be edited for each player? Or is it just one global setting?

Got me thinking as the "setTerrainGrid X" can be edited for each player.

Thanks

Nick smile_o.gif

Yeah like in init.sqs for example (not tested):

//common values for infantry squads and hq

setviewdistance 1000;

setterraingrid 12.5;

//values for CAS & armor group and snipers

?player == sniper_01: setviewdistance 1600;

?player == sniper_02: setviewdistance 1600;

?player in units abrams_platoon: { setviewdistance 2000; setterraingrid 25; }

?player in units close_air_support: { setviewdistance 2600; setterraingrid 50; }

//common values for infantry squads and hq

setviewdistance 1000;

setterraingrid 12.5;

//values for CAS & armor group and snipers

?player == sniper_01: setviewdistance 1600;

?player == sniper_02: setviewdistance 1600;

?player in units abrams_platoon: { setviewdistance 2000; setterraingrid 25; }

?player in units close_air_support: { setviewdistance 2600; setterraingrid 50; }

But how does this relate to AI viewdistance... Afaik the AI can see as far as you can.. Does this mean the sniper can be seen earlier by AI than the rest of the team, or is the AI limited to either the highest or lowest viewdistance set in a mp game?

Quote[/b] ]But how does this relate to AI viewdistance... Afaik the AI can see as far as you can.. Does this mean the sniper can be seen earlier by AI than the rest of the team, or is the AI limited to either the highest or lowest viewdistance set in a mp game?

I think AI units are local to the server so in that example the AI VD would be 1000. You could have a game logic called server for example and then ?local server: setviewdistance 2000; to set AI VD.

i think you can use that to lower the ai's VD so they dont shoot you thru the fog out of viewdistance and have the players slightly higher